Menu

The Latin Road to English Grammar or Latin Alive

Homeschooling6

I am trying to decide for next year. I would like to start Joshua who will be 13 next school year and Annette, who will be 12yrs.

I have always wanted to use The Latin Road but worry my children may not have a firm enough foundation in grammar to use it successfully.

Because of the Grammar thing, I'm also looking into Latin Alive.

As always how teacher intensive are these programs. They both come with a set of dvds. Can the children watch The Latin Road dvds or are they more for mom?

My younger dc will start Latin also. Since we will use Easy Classical next school year with the younger dc I am going to use what they suggest. Song School Latin and Latin Primer A. I will be teaching Latin next year but do need the older ones to be on their own as much as possible.

I don't want to overwhelm myself. Could you all please share your experience with these to Latin programs.

I am trying to decide for next year. I would like to start Joshua who will be 13 next school year and Annette, who will be 12yrs.

I have always wanted to use The Latin Road but worry my children may not have a firm enough foundation in grammar to use it successfully.

Because of the Grammar thing, I'm also looking into Latin Alive.

As always how teacher intensive are these programs. They both come with a set of dvds. Can the children watch The Latin Road dvds or are they more for mom?

My younger dc will start Latin also. Since we will use Easy Classical next school year with the younger dc I am going to use what they suggest. Song School Latin and Latin Primer A. I will be teaching Latin next year but do need the older ones to be on their own as much as possible.

I don't want to overwhelm myself. Could you all please share your experience with these to Latin programs.

Linda,

I don't know how much help I am going to be here, but I will try.

Between the two you mention the deciding factor, for me, would be if LREG was independent. You are using PR, so should that prep them? Or....Ok now I am remembering Josh is doing SWR. What grammar has he had? I haven't used LREG but I know SL recommends it and we both know how light SL tends to be on grammar. My guess is he would be fine.

Latin Alive was one of my top choices for a while, but I abandoned it when I discovered how difficult it is for my oldest to translate video into written work. The one caution I would have is some of the threads imply the TM is a bit confusing at times. I figured I would have just let my oldest post any questions on the yahoo group under my e-mail, if she got into trouble. There is no way I am keeping up at this point.

If you are struggling with your workload at all, I honestly wouldn't worry about doing Latin with the younger kids. I have been struck by the recent threads of, my child has been studying Latin for 5 years and is sick of it, but they are now only 5th grade and still haven't really gotten into the meat of Latin. There is noting wrong, IMO, with waiting till they are older. I purposely wait till 5th grade and then have them do Lively Latin at one page per day. It takes them a couple years to get through, but my oldest loved it and my 2nd dd is enjoying it as well.

Have you looked at First Form Latin? I settled on that one after Lively Latin because it is known for having very clear instructions. I have come across several people who have children doing it independently, even without the videos, but more with the videos. The TM is scripted, assuming no prior knowledge in the part of the parent. The other program we will use (one translation based, one grammar based) is Ecce Romani, which again has a reputation for clear instructions and explanations. That one I am going to always do behind First Form so that it doesn't need to be taught as much. :D

Hope this helps.

Heather

If they are strong in grammar, we have been using the DVDs pretty solo in our house. They watch and go as the text is self-explanatory so far as assignments. I did add in a daily time w/ me to go through flashcards, reviewing vocab and having them practice on Quizlet.

So far as teacher time, the daily practice together is no big deal. The program also recs. doing the grading together every day. I have them grade before they come, but if you'll need to grade it yourself, expect that to take some time when they have text assignments other than copywork.

The program is Rock Solid, that's for sure. I know better moms than I actually learn the Latin w/ their dc. I have not had the time b/c of my other dc, but they are doing very well and retaining very much.

The program is tough. If you have any doubts about their grammar skills, don't start....the Bridge to Latin would be a better choice to prepare them for LR. It would work on grammar and get a nice start into roots and bases. Don't you own the Bridge?

If they are strong in grammar, we have been using the DVDs pretty solo in our house. They watch and go as the text is self-explanatory so far as assignments. I did add in a daily time w/ me to go through flashcards, reviewing vocab and having them practice on Quizlet.

So far as teacher time, the daily practice together is no big deal. The program also recs. doing the grading together every day. I have them grade before they come, but if you'll need to grade it yourself, expect that to take some time when they have text assignments other than copywork.

The program is Rock Solid, that's for sure. I know better moms than I actually learn the Latin w/ their dc. I have not had the time b/c of my other dc, but they are doing very well and retaining very much.

The program is tough. If you have any doubts about their grammar skills, don't start....the Bridge to Latin would be a better choice to prepare them for LR. It would work on grammar and get a nice start into roots and bases. Don't you own the Bridge?

Ok, do the bridge first for grammar. Filing that away in my brain for future reference. :D

Heather

Maybe I'll wait another year before starting Latin Road. I did own The Bridge but since sold it. I wish now, that I would have just buckled down and did it with them (but no use wishing our life away ;)).

Thankfully with my four younger ones I know now to get them ready for The Latin Road :D

Thank you ladies, given me more thoughts to chew on :001_huh: