Menu

Any self-teaching grammar curriculum suited to summer or afterschooling?

Sara R

My kids don't get enough grammar in school. I've tried using Rod and Staff and FLL, but they are meant for a full intensive year, and I need something more condensed. I'd like for them to learn how to diagram. I can help them, but with three kids to help, it tends to get done better if the curriculum is mostly self-teaching. Any ideas?

My kids are 7th (struggles terribly with spelling; learning Latin at school and doing extremely well with it!), 5th (spelling bee champ! and generally bright--will start Latin at school next year), and 2nd (grade level).

Calvert School's 5th grade grammar program is available separately (unlike many of their programs), provides a good basic grammar foundation, and is largely self-teaching and even self-correcting much of the time. There are ... 60ish? lessons, so it's certainly possible to fit it in in a shorter period of time.

It doesn't cover diagramming, unfortunately.

Definitely useable across several grade levels. Probably appropriate for the two older children. You might look at their 4th grade program for the 2nd grader.

Growing with Grammar might fit the bill. It teaches diagramming. :)

:iagree: Could easily be used to supplement and is quite thorough in its approach. Also, starting in 3rd or 4th grade (sorry, I can't remember which) there is a student manual for the student to read the lesson and then do practice pages in the student workbook. Sounds like it would be a good fit from what you described!