Menu

Potty Humor. I really thought ds would outgrow it...

:001_huh: but, alas, he hasn't and he's almost 8.

I had to pull him aside this morning and I told him to please STOP with all the potty humor. I told him it's not appropriate and while other kids are growing up, they are going to make fun of him. Adults aren't going to want him to play with their kids.

So I listed the potty words: poop, fart, wiener, butt, loud burps, any bad words (did not actually say them but I've heard him say ass... as in "Mom, can I have PirateAsses with my lunch today?" in place of Pirate Booty), and as I'm nearing the end of the list, he is pinching his cheeks to stop from laughing and then tears started streaming down his face until he couldn't hold the laughter in, and continued to laugh so hard that he really was crying for about 3 minutes until he could catch his breath to say "OK".

:001_huh::001_huh::001_huh: BTW, this kid use to have awful behavior - very impulsive and inconsiderate but about 6 months ago he seemed to mature and really behave and during school has been a joy to teach. He can't seem to let go of the potty humor though and I really thought he would NATURALLY get bored of it but he is actually getting worse.

Any advice is welcome and I can take criticism as long as there is actual advice there too. :)

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

I think it's pretty normal boy behavior - shoot, girl behavior, too! I remember being at least in 3rd Grade and getting chastised because of too many potty jokes.

And some people never grow out of it, my DH still snickers whenever he hears the word "duty" :lol:

I think just teaching him that there is a time and a place for that kind of thing will be fine.

Certainly no criticism from me, but no advice, either. Sorry. My nephews took a looooonnnnnnggggg time to outgrow this type of humor. My older nephew (15.5) is thoroughly out of it, but his younger brother (13.5) still has occasional lapses back into that stage. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think some boys just find comments about butts, poop, and farts funny. When you were listing the words and phrases you did not want to hear, did you end the speech with a consequence for infractions? What are the consequences going to be if he continues this behavior?

Oh, I do have an idea:

If you believe in replacing the bad with the good, you might want to simply "push out" the offending vocabulary, rather than focus on it. For example, when he uses a word you find offensive, he has to define another word. Fill a jar with slips of paper on which you have written nice words. When your son starts talking about farts and butts, get out the jar, he pulls out a word, reads it, looks it up in the dictionary, and writes out the definition in a notebook.

The idea is to convince him that there are plenty of other words in the English language, and if he can't think of some to use, you will provide him with as many as is necessary. ;) HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama

I have been working on my son and now that he is 10, he and his friends find potty humor better than ever. I feel like it is a losing battle. One friend told me it really drops off once they decide they like girls and realize that girls don't care for potty humor. My dh though said that in man only places, potty humor is alive and well. They just go underground with it so to speak.

What worked here was telling the kids that adults don't really like those kind of jokes, so save them for their friends/other kids. Kids are pretty good at telling each other that something is considered 'babyish' so when the group he hangs out with grows out of them, he will most likely too.

I explained that every joke has an audience and a truly funny person adapts their jokes to who ever is listening.

If he makes a joke to you again, I would just say "I don't like those kind of jokes, please save them for your friends". No reason to be scolding or harsh about it just matter of fact, and move on quickly. You may use and example like baby toys or baby tv shows no longer entertaining him.

I also explained to my kids that if adults/teens do laugh at the potty jokes, it is most likely just pretend laughter. I told them that if they watch closely, they will see that they aren't really laughing, but instead being polite and will quickly change the subject. Adults are definitely are not saying "please tell me more potty jokes, they are sooooo funny."

:001_huh: but, alas, he hasn't and he's almost 8.

I had to pull him aside this morning and I told him to please STOP with all the potty humor. I told him it's not appropriate and while other kids are growing up, they are going to make fun of him. Adults aren't going to want him to play with their kids.

So I listed the potty words: poop, fart, wiener, butt, loud burps, any bad words (did not actually say them but I've heard him say ass... as in "Mom, can I have PirateAsses with my lunch today?" in place of Pirate Booty), and as I'm nearing the end of the list, he is pinching his cheeks to stop from laughing and then tears started streaming down his face until he couldn't hold the laughter in, and continued to laugh so hard that he really was crying for about 3 minutes until he could catch his breath to say "OK".

:001_huh::001_huh::001_huh: BTW, this kid use to have awful behavior - very impulsive and inconsiderate but about 6 months ago he seemed to mature and really behave and during school has been a joy to teach. He can't seem to let go of the potty humor though and I really thought he would NATURALLY get bored of it but he is actually getting worse.

Any advice is welcome and I can take criticism as long as there is actual advice there too. :)

Yeah, sadly, my almost 8 year old and your almost 8 year old would be GOOD BUDDIES. We have tried and tried and tried here to get the potty words to stop and he still just thinks they are the funniest words ever (we do not, however, have the curse word issue - He knows that is something I won't even tolerate!)

I have a friend whose daughter is almost 11 (public schooled) and she still giggles like mad and writes comic strips about toilets and poop. *sigh*

Edited by Tree House Academy

Well I don't think it's true that others won't befriend him because of potty humor.

In fact, that age seems like the age where he'll find a lot of friends with the same sense of humor, lol.

I do believe he'll outgrow it as he gets closer to teenhood~of course at that point he'll pick up other habits that will drive you batty.

We have some rules re. potty humor: not at the meal table, not too early in the morning, lol, if you get carried away take it to your room until you can get control.

I think it's pretty normal boy behavior - shoot, girl behavior, too! I remember being at least in 3rd Grade and getting chastised because of too many potty jokes.

And some people never grow out of it, my DH still snickers whenever he hears the word "duty" :lol:

I think just teaching him that there is a time and a place for that kind of thing will be fine.

:lol: You said "duty" :lol:

Sorry OP. He's 8. 8 is still a potty humor age. He is a boy. They never grow out of it. You're going to have to settle for "Save the potty humor for X time, not while you are w/ so and so, or during school, or in front of xyz."

You know what? I more or less pretend to be exasperated with it. That lets them know that it is not socially acceptable in front of grown women, but anyone their age is pretty much going to enjoy it. As long as they indulge when women aren't around, it's socially acceptable. :)

:001_huh::001_huh::001_huh:

Of course he was ~ his mom (a grown up who likely doesn't use these words on a regular basis!) was rhyming off a bunch of 'potty' words. :p

I'd have been laughing too, hearing that!

There was a thread here the other week about a website that posts iPhone autocorrect goofs - many of which were x-rated or at borderline 'adult humour' - and MANY posters (mature, well spoken, educated mamas) were posting multiple :lol: and mentioning that they'd laughed so hard they'd cried....so I'd say that even a lot of us here on this board haven't "outgrown" that snortsnickerspit goofy humour stuff. ;)

Advise: Tell him you don't like to hear it.

Criticism: Totally age and gender appropriate. The girls do seem to outgrow it. The boys....Ummmm....No. Sorry. It will be around to stay. Best hope is that they learn to use it in appropriate places which means around people who like it as much as they do.

I have three boys. I am 100% certain that when they are up in their room together or off with their friends, it's pretty much a "potty-fest." I'm fine with that. It seems like a pretty normal thing and sort of hilarious.

But I have somehow convinced them that this kind of thing just isn't done around Mom. I rarely have ever heard them use potty language. You just don't do that around Mom.

I just want them to understand that what is socially acceptable varies with the circumstances and I want them to develop the self control to turn those things on and off at will. I know boys who seem unable to do that, and it is unattractive.

So I guess in my heart, this doesn't seem like a big deal at all, but if it's bothers you, it does not seem in any way harmful to say, "you absolutely never talk about farting in front of your Mom."

Whenever potty talk happened, it was drop everything right then, and troop into the bathroom because "potty talk belongs in the bathroom". It didn't take long for them to get the hint. I'd walk into the bathroom with ds and his buddy if he was around (had parents' permission to do this), plop myself against the counter and tell the boys to talk potty all they wanted--but it had to take place only in that room. After a few trips, the guys started to feel pretty silly--especially after I shared a few f**t jokes of my own--their reaction was :eek::eek::eek: and they finally said ok, we get the message. That was pretty much the end of that. When they did occasionally forget, I'd just ask if it was time to adjourn for a conference with "yawning john" (my name for the lid/ring up). They do eventually learn to care about the impression they make on others and have a better sense of timing.

HTH,

Martha

Whenever potty talk happened, it was drop everything right then, and troop into the bathroom because "potty talk belongs in the bathroom". It didn't take long for them to get the hint. I'd walk into the bathroom with ds and his buddy if he was around (had parents' permission to do this), plop myself against the counter and tell the boys to talk potty all they wanted--but it had to take place only in that room. After a few trips, the guys started to feel pretty silly--especially after I shared a few f**t jokes of my own--their reaction was :eek::eek::eek: and they finally said ok, we get the message. That was pretty much the end of that. When they did occasionally forget, I'd just ask if it was time to adjourn for a conference with "yawning john" (my name for the lid/ring up). They do eventually learn to care about the impression they make on others and have a better sense of timing.

HTH,

Martha

GREAT idea. Thank you so much! (And thanks to the OP for asking the question in the first place!) DS5 thinks all such jokes are hilarious :001_huh: and I've been trying to find a way to "contain" them. I do not want it around me!

We have a theory at our house: Boys, all ages, will bust into laughter at the very mention of either the word "fart" or "poop". My daughter and I are in the process of proving this theory. When things are quiet, one of us will just say either word in a very normal tone, and immediately all males in the vicinity will crack up.

We're just hoping we can save the youngest (a girl after five boys) from the affliction.

Yeah as far I as I can tell boys don't really grow out of this! :glare:

Our rules are:

1. Not at the table, it is bad manners. People who tell potty jokes at the table can eat in the bathroom.

2. No bad words allowed. I have the Bible to back me up on this.

3. Gentlemen don't talk/act like that in front of ladies- which luckily includes me! :) This is my way out of having to hear it! The boys can tell other boys/men gross things as often as they want as long as I don't have to hear it. (Even my dad and brother crack up at the twins' jokes!) I figure I am saving myself and setting them up to understand that their future GFs and wives won't appreciate it either.

Edited by ds4159

You know what? I more or less pretend to be exasperated with it. That lets them know that it is not socially acceptable in front of grown women, but anyone their age is pretty much going to enjoy it. As long as they indulge when women aren't around, it's socially acceptable. :)

This is the approach I have taken as well. Save that stuff for guy time and show me respect by avoiding it whenever mom is in the room. I figure that way they will at least be able to behave appropriately in certain social/school/work contexts and they realize that while their guy buddies dig it, the ladies do NOT.

Outgrow it? By age EIGHT? They are just starting to hit their groove then.

:lol::lol:

I feel your pain. I really do. I have a 7yo and a 40yo (DH :D) who can drive me crazy with the potty talk.

We do have a couple of rules.

1. Keep it at home. Don't go over to your friend's house and potty talk, don't do it at the mall, a restaurant, cub scouts, etc etc etc!!

BUT

2. Not at the table. When we are having dinner, I do not want to hear the potty talk. It's so hard for BOTH of them if we are having hot dogs or baked beans (the magical fruit). :lol:

I do have to admit, when reading your original post with your list of potty words...well, I started to giggle. :blushing: I'm sorry. It is almost an involuntary reaction. ;)

Welllll I think some just don't outgrow it. LOL

My Dh still thinks potty humor is funny.

I have five boys - ages 12, 9 , 6.5, 4, and 2.

My 12 yr old isn't much for potty talk, but he's always been embarrassed by it. However my 9 and 6.5 yr old think potty talk is soooo hilarious.

So sorry...not much advice. ;)

We say at our house "Fart jokes are funny" because no one, including my husband has "grown out of it". I gave up.

Good luck, though.

Same here. I tried. Gave up.

I dont want to be the one sour person while everyone else is cracking up, including dh. So I surrendered :)

I find they do actually know when it is appropriate NOT to do it, most of the time.

• 3 months later...

In my house.... the potty jokes haven't gone away as my boys have gotten older, they have just gotten funnier. Whereas just SAYING the words was funny at younger ages, now the jokes are funny enough to share. My DSs know only certain families are ok with this line of jokes and do not share them when certain friends are around (in the same way they can't talk about Harry Potter around certain friends, play Bakugan around certain friends, play shooting games around certain friends -- though most families still find it fine to partake in boy bashing around us :glare: ). None of mine are into girls yet, so I don't know how that will change it. Currently we have a couple of family friends who are girls, one rolls her eyes and does her own thing, another joins right in.

With 4 younger brothers, oldest DS has an audience at all times, and we have a very strict "one boy in the bathroom at a time" rule (more than one and all sorts of shenanigans go down), so going to the bathroom to use potty words wouldn't work in our house.

The potty jokes don't bother me, in fact sometimes I join in. Recently we renamed all of the Star Wars characters with potty words in their names (R2-Dtoot, Puke Skywalker, Jengo Fart, etc). This was a GREAT memory for my boys, and any time they bring up Star Wars we all start laughing. Of course, my house is like a mini fraternity house. We also allow them to run around in their underwear, don't make them brush their hair if we aren't leaving the house, and be silly whenever appropriate (they have no trouble turning all this off when needed, even the youngest gets it).

All this to say -- IMO potty humor is healthy and normal at 8 years old. Find parameters you are comfortable with, and hopefully as long as he knows he has some sort of outlet for his "creativity," he will respect those parameters at other times.

As for adult words -- let your DS know what words are not ok around other people and what words are not ok at all. Since we have younger ones who will repeat them, my oldest DS knows not to use "grown up words" around anyone except DH and I (and certainly not to use them in conversation, only to ask a question about what they mean, or something like that). IMO an 8 yo is old enough to understand the difference, and should respect your rules on this.

Edited by Colleen in SEVA

Ha! Well, you guys just try teaching astronomy to a group of 8th graders and get to the planet just past Saturn. "OK, class, here's a picture of Uranus", "There are rings around Uranus", "NASA sent a probe to Uranus". Then you'll see they never grow out of it. Junior high is the apex, the pinnacle of potty humor, especially for some boys!

I've never had a problem with this but my husband doesn't use potty humor either. Maybe it is the school teacher in him. ;) And by that I just mean if he allowed that kind of humor, it would probably get totally out of control in a classroom setting.

My husband would ask the child if he needed to use the facilities since he was speaking of it. If the answer was no, he'd remind him that he was in mixed company and it was an inappropriate conversation. He's a bit old school like that.

Edited by Daisy