Menu

Buying new sofa, leather or microfiber?

Our sofa is very old. We had it since we got married. We didn't want to change it because kids are messy. Now it's time to go.

I'd like to have a sofa made of leather, but I don't know how to choose it and what to watch out for. Any ideas?

My neighbor has a microfiber sofa and she said all stains come off her sofa. I still like the idea of leather, but I would like to hear your opinions about microfiber.

Thanks!

We went with leather when we replaced ours- made a claim on a stain warranty for our last one. I went w/ dark brown because even then the black sharpie won't show too bad! We love it, we found a style that was a bit more soft, we get lots of compliments, we can just wipe it off no problem and we did get stain coverage as well. As I said we had that on the last set and had it all replaced for free(we were given store credit to the amt we originally paid 3 yrs ago-well worth the $100- and the warranty last 5 yrs).

If you have cats, think hard about getting leather.

Every once in a while clients will come in and ask to have the rear claws removed on their older cat. I typically ask, "did you just get a leather couch?"

The answer is usually yes.

We have small kids and I wish we would have gone with leather rather than microfiber. Our couch looks HORRIBLE and we have only had it 3 years. I will replace it with leather as soon as we remodel the living room and figure out how big of a couch that we want. I hate the microfiber - It looked good for the first year, but then it went down hill quickly!

We just got a micro-suede couch set and so far I love it. I wanted leather but dh did not. This micro-suede has been a good compromise. I has been easy to clean so far and the areas I've had to clean still look nice (no color run or water spots...you can't tell there ever was a spill there once it dries) I am a little worried about body oil and sweat stains come summer but so far I'm impressed at how nicely it comes clean. I plan to keep a throw blanket over dh's seat in the summer though to try and prevent sweat marks and oil stains.

I have microfiber--it's a light tan color. All stains DO NOT come off. I have water spots all over my ottoman from toddlers mouthing the fabric. They are improved by cleaning, but they never go away completely. Ball point pen doesn't come off all that well either.

Next time I buy a couch, it's going to be leather.

we agonized over this as well. We ended up getting cloth just because we found a great deal on a used sofa from a friend, but we also do have leather in our basement/media room. The leather is 14 years old and still in GREAT condition (although it is forest/dark GREEN which apparently is quite outdated now!)

I read a lot about microfiber and honestly, we just didn't like it and the reviews weren't great.

Dawn