Menu

Butchered National Anthem

I guess I think that if you're asking a celebrity to sing the National Anthem, you're expecting them to put their specialty on it. I was only listening and knew who it was by the way she sang. At least she can sing and it's not all pop performance with her. It is the Super Bowl, I don't expect the standard variety National Anthem when I'm watching the Super Bowl.

:iagree:Yup!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What all of us vocalists are saying is that she didn't practice long enough to sing it well, let alone leave her special mark on it. Sigh. I miss Kate Smith.

For you, Jean...

The first minute is the crowd going wild for her. A grandmotherly figure. In the same town where they've booed Santa Claus for being a lousy-looking Santa. :)

We were driving yesterday, so I missed it. I was prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt until I watched the video. I have to agree that I do *not* like it when singers get so wrapped up in putting their stamp on the song that it loses its sentiment. It was jarring to watch. It should be moving and it wasn't. I'm sure she does feel badly, I hope if she gets another opportunity she does a clean, simple version. eta: I don't think she's a horrible person, and I think she was dressed just fine.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

What all of us vocalists are saying is that she didn't practice long enough to sing it well, let alone leave her special mark on it. Sigh. I miss Kate Smith.

I SO agree. :iagree: The National Anthem should be a set-aside piece that is not stylized or changed. Let it stand for what it is. Her interpretation is typical for the US music industry- "me, me me". I hope the NFL will do a better job finding someone to sing it next year. Something like this:

:)

or this:

:)

I guess I think that if you're asking a celebrity to sing the National Anthem, you're expecting them to put their specialty on it. I was only listening and knew who it was by the way she sang. At least she can sing and it's not all pop performance with her. It is the Super Bowl, I don't expect the standard variety National Anthem when I'm watching the Super Bowl.

:iagree:

I thought she did well, and I feel badly for her.

Does anyone else wish to admit that they were singing right along with Christina Aguilera (being the proud American patriots they are :D) and so...kinda noticed the lyric malfunction straight away?

Or was it just me? :tongue_smilie:

Bill

Nope, not just you Bill. We always stand for the National Anthem AND sing along, hands over hearts. Even my kids noticed the botched lyrics. We had to shush them so we could finish the song before discussing it!

Hey Bill, my dad is into Nascar and hates "stylized" versions of the anthem. So, when the anthem comes on, he shuts it off, and the whole family sings the national anthem. Dad's a bass and if we let him lead it, we are all groveling to hit the notes. DD sings lead, I do the alto, dh takes the tenor, and dad grabs onto the bass. Everyone else sings whatever lead or a part if they are comfortable. It's awesome!

I hate trying to sing with a pop version because there is so much improvisation that it's hard to know when to come in on the next phrase, how long to hold a note, and if you hold the "right pitch", invariably, it is not the same pitch, same chord, same key...as the soloist and makes for some dissonance. So, we are HAPPY AMERICANS to be singing four part harmony, accapella, in the comfort of dad's living room!

Faith

Does anyone else wish to admit that they were singing right along with Christina Aguilera (being the proud American patriots they are :D) and so...kinda noticed the lyric malfunction straight away?

Or was it just me? :tongue_smilie:

Bill

We usually just sit quietly and listen, but the second it happened I shouted out, "Ramparts!" My kids hadn't picked up on it yet and they thought I had lost my mind. :D

Hey Bill, my dad is into Nascar and hates "stylized" versions of the anthem. So, when the anthem comes on, he shuts it off, and the whole family sings the national anthem. Dad's a bass and if we let him lead it, we are all groveling to hit the notes. DD sings lead, I do the alto, dh takes the tenor, and dad grabs onto the bass. Everyone else sings whatever lead or a part if they are comfortable. It's awesome!

I hate trying to sing with a pop version because there is so much improvisation that it's hard to know when to come in on the next phrase, how long to hold a note, and if you hold the "right pitch", invariably, it is not the same pitch, same chord, same key...as the soloist and makes for some dissonance. So, we are HAPPY AMERICANS to be singing four part harmony, accapella, in the comfort of dad's living room!

Faith

You win!!! :D:D::D

Bill (who doesn't sing as well as Cristina Aguilera on her worst day, but does know the lyrics :tongue_smilie:)

It doesn't look like many Americans cared tho(should I even be surprised)? Most voted:

Who cares? And, in a related question, does anyone know what a rampart is?

Did you see the last Amazing Race? They were supposed to be looking for something on a rampart. One of the girls went around asking people "are you a rampart?" My middle dd shouted "it's the candelabra all over again!" I hate when being uneducated is assumed to be the norm. :glare:

Okay, so though my main training was in piano and instrumental education, I've also given voice lessons extensively and I've accompanied vocalists that make nearly every single pop artist on stage these days sound like CHUMPS!

So, here is my professional opinion for what it is worth.

1. I don't know when screaming to hit notes became popular, but it's ridiculous. She's very undertrained vocally and so her range is quite limited. Our National anthem requires an octave and a fourth of range and if sung in the key of B-flat (a very common key), one must be able to hit a b-flat one whole step below middle C on a not so easy vowel to keep an open throat and an E-flat above treble c (an octave and a minor third above middle c) at the top. For a natural alto (which is what I suspect CA is) this means utilizing three registers of the voice and if you've turned your back on all good training habits such has decent breath support (which was absolutely missing from this performance), vocalizing everyday to limber up those registers and transitions, and learning to use head voice (which can be VERY powerful) properly, then one is going to be sharp at the bottom and flat on the top.

2. Accapella singing is absolutely a completely different ball of wax than singing with all the sound track stuff that pop artists are used to...she wasn't prepared for the difficulties that come when you get caught up in your own improvisation and suddenly can't find the pitch you should land on...hence unintended key changes which can make things not only sound ridiculously awful to the audience, but put yourself in a real bind if the new key is too high or too low. If one has not done much accapella work on easier numbers (our National Anthem is not easy to sing without accompaniment), then one should not attempt it somewhere like the SUPER BOWL or if you are gutsy enough to do it, sing it straight so you've got a good chance of hitting those difficult intervals with some accuracy.

3. She needs voice lessons and she needs them badly. She is really straining those vocal cords and she could end up with vocal nodules (little benign growths/swelling/cysts) that appear on the vocal cords due to inflammation prolonged improper use of the vocal cords. Have you ever noticed that a lot of pop artists who do this kind of singing suddenly aren't doing much in their careers, stop touring, rarely do a concert, etc. in their mid-30's no matter how popular they have been? This is it. Even the best trained vocalists can get these if they aren't careful. It is what happened to Julie Andrews when she trained too hard for Victor/Victoria. Her nodules were so bad that it required surgery and even if the sugery is successful, no matter how skilled the surgeon, one is going to lose some vocal range. Her surgeon botched the job and she lost nearly all of her singing ability.

4. Too many vocalists actually believe that singing the national anthem, is just another performance, just another "it's all about me". This is what is frustrating audiences everywhere....my dad is a huge Nascar Fan and we've taken to turning the T.V. off when the National Anthem is sung because it is generally always hideous and not well rehearsed. This song is about something far greater than the person singing it. 99 times out of 100, the whole approach of the artist, kills the song before it is even started.

5. She needed a h*ll of a lot more practice than she evidently had. She's been on stage FAR too long and she has FAR too much experience for this to be a case of nerves. This was a case of not practicing hard enough in advance and getting some feedback from knowledgeable voice teachers before performance so she could improve those low and high pitches.

6. She was so far off at the end that she did not cadence in the same key nor did she resolve the chord into an appropriate key change at the end. It was literally not in the ballpark of the right triad, the right key, or a closely related key. She embellished so much that she couldn't find the last note. This means she's done virtually no accapella singing and is a clear indication of lack of practice, lack of appropriate vocal technique, and attempting to sing beyond her abilities. She may be able to do that with accompaniment, she should have considered the possibility that she shouldn't oversing when she is clearly not an accapella trained artist.

So, flame if you must. Given that I've judged singing competitions at the regional, state, and inter-state levels and have had successfully trained several teenagers to sing the National Anthem quite beautifully accapella, I think my assessment is accurate.

Faith

I agree. I was lucky enough to see Broadway stars on stage in Virginia doing White Christmas. O.M.G. Those people could sing.

I said to Dh, "it's a mystery how pop singers are multi-millionaires etc. and these people doing White Christmas are out looking for a job in January."

Our world is backward.

But we know that: that's why we homeschool.

On the Christina Ag. issue: the suspicious part of me wonders if people like Roseanne, Janet Jackson and Christina do these things intentionally so that we'll all be talking about them for weeks to come.

In other words, they're milking their solo experience.

I bet it wasn't a mistake.

Alley

I can't even imagine having the thought: "I'm going to take the National Anthem and make it my own." :001_huh: :glare: Is this an American thing, or does that happen in other countries, too?

I don't know if it's an American thing, but it does not happen in Australia or NZ in my experience. It is common in both countries for a properly trained singer to sing the anthems at major events. Pop stars, not so much. (Yes, we do have them :D)

I vote for always showing the lyrics on the big screens and having everyone sing along at every game. We ALL could learn the words that way.

They don't do that??? That's horrible. I'm actually shocked, because you guys are so patriotic I just assumed that as a given.

Guest Dulcimeramy
I don't know if it's an American thing, but it does not happen in Australia or NZ in my experience. It is common in both countries for a properly trained singer to sing the anthems at major events. Pop stars, not so much. (Yes, we do have them :D)

They don't do that??? That's horrible. I'm actually shocked, because you guys are so patriotic I just assumed that as a given.

It isn't horrible. Until this generation, we were so patriotic that we didn't need the lyrics provided! We used to all learn the national anthem in school, along with the pledge of allegiance and civic knowledge in general...

Okay, so though my main training was in piano and instrumental education, I've also given voice lessons extensively and I've accompanied vocalists that make nearly every single pop artist on stage these days sound like CHUMPS!

So, here is my professional opinion for what it is worth.

1. I don't know when screaming to hit notes became popular, but it's ridiculous. She's very undertrained vocally and so her range is quite limited. Our National anthem requires an octave and a fourth of range and if sung in the key of B-flat (a very common key), one must be able to hit a b-flat one whole step below middle C on a not so easy vowel to keep an open throat and an E-flat above treble c (an octave and a minor third above middle c) at the top. For a natural alto (which is what I suspect CA is) this means utilizing three registers of the voice and if you've turned your back on all good training habits such has decent breath support (which was absolutely missing from this performance), vocalizing everyday to limber up those registers and transitions, and learning to use head voice (which can be VERY powerful) properly, then one is going to be sharp at the bottom and flat on the top.

2. Accapella singing is absolutely a completely different ball of wax than singing with all the sound track stuff that pop artists are used to...she wasn't prepared for the difficulties that come when you get caught up in your own improvisation and suddenly can't find the pitch you should land on...hence unintended key changes which can make things not only sound ridiculously awful to the audience, but put yourself in a real bind if the new key is too high or too low. If one has not done much accapella work on easier numbers (our National Anthem is not easy to sing without accompaniment), then one should not attempt it somewhere like the SUPER BOWL or if you are gutsy enough to do it, sing it straight so you've got a good chance of hitting those difficult intervals with some accuracy.

3. She needs voice lessons and she needs them badly. She is really straining those vocal cords and she could end up with vocal nodules (little benign growths/swelling/cysts) that appear on the vocal cords due to inflammation prolonged improper use of the vocal cords. Have you ever noticed that a lot of pop artists who do this kind of singing suddenly aren't doing much in their careers, stop touring, rarely do a concert, etc. in their mid-30's no matter how popular they have been? This is it. Even the best trained vocalists can get these if they aren't careful. It is what happened to Julie Andrews when she trained too hard for Victor/Victoria. Her nodules were so bad that it required surgery and even if the sugery is successful, no matter how skilled the surgeon, one is going to lose some vocal range. Her surgeon botched the job and she lost nearly all of her singing ability.

4. Too many vocalists actually believe that singing the national anthem, is just another performance, just another "it's all about me". This is what is frustrating audiences everywhere....my dad is a huge Nascar Fan and we've taken to turning the T.V. off when the National Anthem is sung because it is generally always hideous and not well rehearsed. This song is about something far greater than the person singing it. 99 times out of 100, the whole approach of the artist, kills the song before it is even started.

5. She needed a h*ll of a lot more practice than she evidently had. She's been on stage FAR too long and she has FAR too much experience for this to be a case of nerves. This was a case of not practicing hard enough in advance and getting some feedback from knowledgeable voice teachers before performance so she could improve those low and high pitches.

6. She was so far off at the end that she did not cadence in the same key nor did she resolve the chord into an appropriate key change at the end. It was literally not in the ballpark of the right triad, the right key, or a closely related key. She embellished so much that she couldn't find the last note. This means she's done virtually no accapella singing and is a clear indication of lack of practice, lack of appropriate vocal technique, and attempting to sing beyond her abilities. She may be able to do that with accompaniment, she should have considered the possibility that she shouldn't oversing when she is clearly not an accapella trained artist.

So, flame if you must. Given that I've judged singing competitions at the regional, state, and inter-state levels and have had successfully trained several teenagers to sing the National Anthem quite beautifully accapella, I think my assessment is accurate.

Faith

My training was in voice & I completely agree. Faith, you nailed it (unlike a certain singer :lol:).

OTOH & IIRC isn't the tune - which is not particularly melodic - based on an old tavern song?0

Maybe I'm a purist, but I can't stand when artists try to make the National Anthem their own. I don't care it if sounds the same every time I hear it. It's meant to. It's beautiful just the way it was written.

:iagree:

People should just stand up, sing it, and sit down...No need to try and do gymnastics with your voice!

It isn't horrible. Until this generation, we were so patriotic that we didn't need the lyrics provided! We used to all learn the national anthem in school, along with the pledge of allegiance and civic knowledge in general...

You don't learn it in school?

Again, shocked. In both Australia and NZ, my kids sang the anthem in full once a week at assembly. In NZ, that means singing it in two languages.

eta: Oops, actually in NZ generally only 1 Maori and 1 English verse was sung. In total there are 5 of each. We have ramparts too :rofl:

Edited by keptwoman

Guest Dulcimeramy
You don't learn it in school?

Again, shocked. In both Australia and NZ, my kids sang the anthem in full once a week at assembly. In NZ, that means singing it in two languages.

eta: Oops, actually in NZ generally only 1 Maori and 1 English verse was sung. In total there are 5 of each. We have ramparts too :rofl:

LOL!!!

Our local elementary doesn't learn it, or say the pledge of allegiance. I'm under the impression that these quaint customs have gone the way of the dodo, but others might know of school districts that teach them. Off to make a poll!

Shouldn't you know the lyrics to the National Anthem if you are going to sing it at a major sporting event like, say, the Superbowl?

Washington Post

Yes, the music artist/singer should know our country's National Anthem. I'm sorry, but there seems to be the "generic" male and female voice/style anymore. There are some that have their own creative side, but so many seem to be clones of one another. All of this to say that I have this girl pegged as just liking to hear herself sing, like "it's all about me" mentality, which I can't stand. :confused:

I hope the NFL will do a better job finding someone to sing it next year. Something like this:

:) (Carrie Underwood)

or this:

:) (Josh Groban)

How about a nice, clean performance?

These were fantastic.

11 year old Christina Aguilera singing the national anthem at a hockey game.

This was...so-so. You could either say, this is an 11 year old with a lot of talent and a lot of potential, but there's definitely room for improvement. Or, you can look back, in hindsight, and say, she didn't improve much.

Introductory Note. Unless you're already well acquainted with our "national anthem," this interesting piece by the late Isaac Asimov will be an eye-opener. It was for me. It's especially appropriate at a time when there is much talk of tossing out this difficult-to-sing and difficult-to-comprehend old song in favor of something that better suits Ray Charles' voice. You'll understand the song much better after you read Mr. Asimov's explanation. -- Hardly Waite, Gazette Senior Editor.

I have a weakness--I am crazy, absolutely nuts, about our national anthem.

The words are difficult and the tune is almost impossible, but frequently when I'm taking a shower I sing it with as much power and emotion as I can. It shakes me up every time.

I was once asked to speak at a luncheon. Taking my life in my hands, I announced I was going to sing our national anthem--all four stanzas.

This was greeted with loud groans. One man closed the door to the kitchen, where the noise of dishes and cutlery was loud and distracting. "Thanks, Herb," I said.

"That's all right," he said. "It was at the request of the kitchen staff."

I explained the background of the anthem and then sang all four stanzas.

Let me tell you, those people had never heard it before--or had never really listened. I got a standing ovation. But it was not me; it was the anthem.

More recently, while conducting a seminar, I told my students the story of the anthem and sang all four stanzas. Again there was a wild ovation and prolonged applause. And again, it was the anthem and not me.

So now let me tell you how it came to be written.

In 1812, the United States went to war with Great Britain, primarily over freedom of the seas. We were in the right. For two years, we held off the British, even though we were still a rather weak country. Great Britain was in a life and death struggle with Napoleon. In fact, just as the United States declared war, Napoleon marched off to invade Russia. If he won, as everyone expected, he would control Europe, and Great Britain would be isolated. It was no time for her to be involved in an American war.

At first, our seamen proved better than the British. After we won a battle on Lake Erie in 1813, the American commander, Oliver Hazard Perry, sent the message "We have met the enemy and they are ours." However, the weight of the British navy beat down our ships eventually. New England, hard-hit by a tightening blockade, threatened secession.

Meanwhile, Napoleon was beaten in Russia and in 1814 was forced to abdicate. Great Britain now turned its attention to the United States, launching a three-pronged attack. The northern prong was to come down Lake Champlain toward New York and seize parts of New England. The southern prong was to go up the Mississippi, take New Orleans and paralyze the west. The central prong was to head for the mid-Atlantic states and then attack Baltimore, the greatest port south of New York. If Baltimore was taken, the nation, which still hugged the Atlantic coast, could be split in two. The fate of the United States, then, rested to a large extent on the success or failure of the central prong.

The British reached the American coast, and on August 24, 1814, took Washington, D. C. Then they moved up the Chesapeake Bay toward Baltimore. On September 12, they arrived and found 1000 men in Fort McHenry, whose guns controlled the harbor. If the British wished to take Baltimore, they would have to take the fort.

On one of the British ships was an aged physician, William Beanes, who had been arrested in Maryland and brought along as a prisoner. Francis Scott Key, a lawyer and friend of the physician, had come to the ship to negotiate his release. The British captain was willing, but the two Americans would have to wait. It was now the night of September 13, and the bombardment of Fort McHenry was about to start.

As twilight deepened, Key and Beanes saw the American flag flying over Fort McHenry. Through the night, they heard bombs bursting and saw the red glare of rockets. They knew the fort was resisting and the American flag was still flying. But toward morning the bombardment ceased, and a dread silence fell. Either Fort McHenry had surrendered and the British flag flew above it, or the bombardment had failed and the American flag still flew.

As dawn began to brighten the eastern sky, Key and Beanes stared out at the fort, tyring to see which flag flew over it. He and the physician must have asked each other over and over, "Can you see the flag?"

After it was all finished, Key wrote a four stanza poem telling the events of the night. Called "The Defence of Fort M'Henry," it was published in newspapers and swept the nation. Someone noted that the words fit an old English tune called "To Anacreon in Heaven" --a difficult melody with an uncomfortably large vocal range. For obvious reasons, Key's work became known as "The Star Spangled Banner," and in 1931 Congress declared it the official anthem of the United States.

Now that you know the story, here are the words. Presumably, the old doctor is speaking. This is what he asks Key.

Oh! say, can you see, by the dawn's early light, What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight, O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?

And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there. Oh! say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave, O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

"Ramparts," in case you don't know, are the protective walls or other elevations that surround a fort. The first stanza asks a question. The second gives an answer.

On the shore, dimly seen thro' the mist of the deep, Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes, What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep. As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam, In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream 'Tis the star-spangled banner. Oh! long may it wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

"The towering steep" is again, the ramparts. The bombardment has failed, and the British can do nothing more but sail away, their mission a failure.

In the third stanza, I feel Key allows himself to gloat over the American triumph. In the aftermath of the bombardment, Key probably was in no mood to act otherwise.

During World War II, when the British were our staunchest allies, this third stanza was not sung. However, I know it, so here it is:

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion A home and a country should leave us no more? Their blood has washed out their foul footstep's pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave, And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

The fourth stanza, a pious hope for the future, should be sung more slowly than the other three and with even deeper feeling.

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand Between their loved homes and the war's desolation, Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n - rescued land Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserved us a nation.

Then conquer we must, for our cause is just, And this be our motto--"In God is our trust." And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

I hope you will look at the national anthem with new eyes. Listen to it, the next time you have a chance, with new ears.

And don't let them ever take it away.

--Isaac Asimov, March 1991

OTOH & IIRC isn't the tune - which is not particularly melodic - based on an old tavern song?0

Yes. I always think that piece of trivia is funny because you'd think a tavern song/drinking song would be melodic and catchy. Perhaps it's easier to sing it when you're drunk. ;)

That would be wonderful! Here, it often seems to be about the gimmick and not the song: a 4 year old (though I have to admit children usually at least sing it with feeling,) pop stars who need AutoTune, some public figure who can't carry a tune but needs votes, Roseanne, etc.

Just because a person doesn't know the meaning of one specific word doesn't automatically make them "uneducated".

/slightly random, but related to some earlier posts.

In my opinion, assuming that MOST people do not understand the word rampart is part of the dumbing down of society and it IS why we homeschool. I *rarely* agree with pqr, but we totally agree on why we homeschool.