Menu

Foreign language for 3rd & 5th grade

Aubrey

What languages for a 3rd & 5th grader? (Choose 1 combo)  

1. 1. What languages for a 3rd & 5th grader? (Choose 1 combo)

• Latin
    • Spanish
    • Greek
    • Latin & Spanish
    • Latin & Greek
    • Spanish & Greek
    • Latin, Spanish, & Greek
    • French

Short version:

I'd like to teach 2 foreign languages in the fall. Latin + Spanish has been my plan, but now I'm thinking maybe Latin + Greek.

I've had 2yrs of college Latin & 4 yrs of Spanish, BUT *I* want to learn Greek for myself. I thought that might be motivation to be more involved in the teaching process--I tend to be pretty hands-off w/ foreign language, & I wish I weren't.

Long version:

I'd planned to teach them Spanish when they were little, but without reading skills...that was hard. We played a lot of Candy Land in Spanish, but you can imagine how that went.

So when ds hit 3rd g, I started Latin. But we also had a baby that yr & another the next year, so he's just now finishing Lively Latin BB1. He's done it almost entirely on his own--when I do step in to help, he seems to understand everything perfectly.

So dd will be in 3rd this fall, & she's *really* looking forward to starting Latin w/ big bro. (We tried it when she was in 1st, but...that was a disaster.)

I'm definitely planning to continue Latin in the fall. We live in an area in which Spanish would be extremely practical, & I *love* that. Plus, one modern, one classical language seems like a good balance for now.

So why Greek? I've wanted to learn classical & Biblical Greek for years, in order to compare them. Because I'm interested in learning it, maybe I'd be better at teaching it?

Dh thinks Greek would be much more practical for the dc because its structure is identical to Latin, as opposed to Spanish, which is just really similar. :001_huh: I think it's hard to justify two dead languages as "practical." :lol:

So...wwyd?

I'd do Latin and Spanish now, and then you could add Greek in a couple of years. I think it's more important to have one classical language and one modern language. I also think that Spanish will be easier for your kids with the Latin. Greek seems to me that it's "bonus" and best done a few years later. That way you still get to do Greek! But I think this option is best for the kids.

In your situation, I'd probably do Latin and Spanish, and leave Greek for later. You could start learning Greek yourself, though.

We're doing Latin and French (SSL and Nallenart) and I plan to add in Greek (SSG) in a year or so.

I did a semester w/ dh, but...I couldn't get past the...pointless feeling. I mean...w/ 2 babies in the house, it was hard to justify the HOURS of study time.

I guess I was thinking of making my kids the justification, but really...part of my problem was that when dh took a class, I couldn't keep up, but when he tried self-teaching, I needed a much faster pace. I guess I could have just left him in my dust, but...then it felt REALLY pointless, lol.

Thanks, guys. I figured you'd all say Spanish. :001_smile:

Compromise. Let them do the Greek Code Cracker next year along with whatever languages you teach fully. (Sounds like those will be latin and spanish.) Then in a year or two, when they're 7th and 5th start greek. Your other languages will be more firmly in place by then. Code Cracker you can do and be hands-on. It's just fun. :)

Compromise. Let them do the Greek Code Cracker next year along with whatever languages you teach fully. (Sounds like those will be latin and spanish.) Then in a year or two, when they're 7th and 5th start greek. Your other languages will be more firmly in place by then. Code Cracker you can do and be hands-on. It's just fun. :)

Thanks--this sounds fun! :001_smile:

I was going to say the same thing. We're doing to just play with Greek Code Cracker and Song School Greek next school year, as a family. Then for the '12-'13 school year we'll decide how serious we want to get with Greek.

:iagree: This is what we did. It was also an inexpensive way to check our diligence with two languages. Ds loved Latin, but wasn't too excited about Greek. He wanted Japanese. :001_huh: So we didn't add a full Greek program, we had enough other stuff I didn't want to make it mandatory.

I bought EG for myself and still need to finish, restart at this point.

I would start with Latin and Spanish. And then learn Greek yourself - at least be a long way ahead of the kids! Plus the resources for lower level Greek are sparse. I'd love to do Latin, Greek, Spanish (with me) and German (with DH) for our kids. I've been working on my Latin, and won't start Greek with the kids until I have the time to get & stay ahead of them.

I would start with Latin and Spanish. And then learn Greek yourself - at least be a long way ahead of the kids! Plus the resources for lower level Greek are sparse. I'd love to do Latin, Greek, Spanish (with me) and German (with DH) for our kids. I've been working on my Latin, and won't start Greek with the kids until I have the time to get & stay ahead of them.

I seem to teach better when I'm learning along w/ them. The beginning Latin & Spanish just bore me to tears!

But I'm looking for a Spanish church we can attend for more fluency, etc. (You'd think that would be easy in TX, but apparently not so much in this part of the state.)