Menu

CAR that fits 3 kids in the back seat comfortably

I currently drive 1999 Honda Odyssey. I want to get a car -- specifically a small sedan that gets high gas mileage, preferably a manual transmission. I have three kids, ages 11, 9 and 5. I think my son will be old enough to ride in the front seat next year, which would make the back seat mostly a non-issue, however, I would still like to know if anyone here who has 3 kids has a sedan that fits that all 3 kids in the back seat comfortably? I am mainly thinking of car trips about 4-5 hours in length ( we travel a lot) when my dh would be coming along and I don't want to drive his big honking Ford F-150 to save on gas mileage.

Thanks!

Jennifer

I have three kids... I don't want to drive his big honking Ford F-150 to save on gas mileage.

I have three boys, 16, 14 and 11, and they barely fit in my husband's big honking F-250.

We can do it, but the Labrador or two we throw in for fun are very uncomfortable.

How long do you want the car for, and how big do you think your kids will be?

I knew mine were going to pass 6" so for three years in a row we went to the Motor Trend Car Show and sat in every 'car' we could fit in. We could not find any. A hummer wouldn't even hold us.

The only things we could get in were the Dodge Ram super big cab truck they don't make anymore, the Chevy/GMC Suburban/Yukon, and the Ford Excursion.

My mother in law has an older Crown Victoria we can get in, bit they don't make that one anymore either.

I will be watching to see what you choose.

Nissan Altima? Subaru Forrester?

Unless the Forresters have gotten a lot bigger that would be tough. We had one when our youngest was born in 2005 and my oldest who was 6 at the time was squashed between the two in carseats, and we even bought the expensive narrow carseats. I loved my Forrester and will have one again some day when the kids are grown, but I just don't buy the latest commercial with the 3 kids in the back seat.

We recently needed something to fit the bill of 3 kids in the 2nd row seat and ended up getting a Ford Expedition. It's not a gas hog, but not great either. I still love it because everyone fits comfortably and doesn't quarrel because they are squashed. I also love having the 3rd row seat if we have company.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

Not really sure what to do yet, but definitely worth asking. As for the size of my kids -- they may get taller but my kids are TINY--my 11 year old boy is just now getting close to 70 pounds and is not 5 feet tall yet. I am not even 5 feet tall, but my hubby is 6 feet but only 145 - 155 pounds. My kids seem to have his build and my height genes--poor kids! My 5 year old is 44 inches tall and only weighs 35 pounds (yes, I feed her) and my middle daughter is about the same size as my son.

We may just drive the van till the thing falls apart, but we have had three major repairs this past year, and while I enjoy not having a car payment, I do not like unpredictable repair bills and the gas mileage is a bit low.

My kids don't have an issue with the space right now, and they actually all three sit together in the back seat of the van by choice often. Not sure about how long we would keep it. Maybe we need to look into another van...

Thanks for all the input.

Jennifer

We had three in the backseat of a Ford Focus for a while -- one in a booster, one in a harnessed seat, and one in a rear-facing harnessed infant seat. It was tight, but it was safe, and it did work. The big kids were lacking in foot room, though, especially if DH (who is tall) was driving. It does get 30+ mpg and is a manual transmission though. We bought it mainly to be DH's commuting vehicle, so gas mileage was a priority, but if it wasn't so much, I'd recommend going with the next size up, especially with bigger kids.

You might like to think a bit more about your older child in the front seat. This is about front seat with airbags for age 14 and under. This is about front vs. back seat sitting in general: "children in the front seat were at 40% greater risk of injury, compared with children in the rear seat".

FWIW, Calvin (5'8") has not been allowed into the front seat yet, and won't be until he is fifteen and his skeleton can cope with the airbag inflation.

Best wishes

Laura

Unless the Forresters have gotten a lot bigger that would be tough. We had one when our youngest was born in 2005 and my oldest who was 6 at the time was squashed between the two in carseats, and we even bought the expensive narrow carseats. I loved my Forrester and will have one again some day when the kids are grown, but I just don't buy the latest commercial with the 3 kids in the back seat.

We recently needed something to fit the bill of 3 kids in the 2nd row seat and ended up getting a Ford Expedition. It's not a gas hog, but not great either. I still love it because everyone fits comfortably and doesn't quarrel because they are squashed. I also love having the 3rd row seat if we have company.

I hope you find what you're looking for.

:iagree:

I just recently traded in my Subaru Forester. My 11 year old son (about the size of a 14 year old) and my 14 year old daughter constantly complained about how tiny the backseat was.

We have a Honda CRV now and everyone is quite happy. It is soooo roomy inside.

When my kids fly the coop I will go back to Subaru.

I would assume you will have this car while your kids are teens (at least two of them) so you need to plan for a vehicle that fits 2.5-3 adults in the back. That would be a very wide sedan by today's standards and likely not low gas mileage. The Forester won't fit this category. The newer models are wider but only a little wider. I forget what my brother drives, but it could probably fit 3 people. It is a big American sedan. I think you would only be looking at American vehicles.

ETA: my brother drives a Chrysler 300. I have a Forester--the only time all five us get in it is when the van is in the shop, we fit, but we are quite cosy.

Edited by betty

I currently drive 1999 Honda Odyssey. I want to get a car -- specifically a small sedan that gets high gas mileage, preferably a manual transmission. I have three kids, ages 11, 9 and 5. I think my son will be old enough to ride in the front seat next year, which would make the back seat mostly a non-issue, however, I would still like to know if anyone here who has 3 kids has a sedan that fits that all 3 kids in the back seat comfortably? I am mainly thinking of car trips about 4-5 hours in length ( we travel a lot) when my dh would be coming along and I don't want to drive his big honking Ford F-150 to save on gas mileage.

Thanks!

Jennifer

We had very similar requirements, and ended up with the Mazda5.

- It pretends to be a minivan, but is actually based on a sedan platform.

- It fits six comfortably; the very back row requires shorter people in theory, but actually my teenager prefers the far back (she likes to put her feet up on the seat beside her and lounge)

- We drive from Austin to New Mexico quite frequently, with plenty of leg room.

- Gas mileage is good, also maneuverability; corollaries of being in fact a sedan disguised as a minivan.

- It's the only "minivan" on the market with an option for a manual transmission.

If you're intrigued, I'll post you a list of its negatives.;)

We had very similar requirements, and ended up with the Mazda5.

- It pretends to be a minivan, but is actually based on a sedan platform.

- It fits six comfortably; the very back row requires shorter people in theory, but actually my teenager prefers the far back (she likes to put her feet up on the seat beside her and lounge)

- We drive from Austin to New Mexico quite frequently, with plenty of leg room.

- Gas mileage is good, also maneuverability; corollaries of being in fact a sedan disguised as a minivan.

- It's the only "minivan" on the market with an option for a manual transmission.

If you're intrigued, I'll post you a list of its negatives.;)

I don't have one, but it is what I was going to recommend. A friend has one and she loves it. It is pretty light weight, so it is not great in snow.

We are hoping not to have to need another car for a LONG time, but my requirement would also be excellent gas mileage. I hope our next car will actually be electric! Our bulky SUV will most likely fill in the need for longer trips and comfort, but I would love something hybrid or electric for 90% of our daily use around town.

Subaru, Toyota, Honda is what I would be looking for.

We bought a Ford Fusion and love it. We had rented a Fusion on two instances for a long road trip and both times we got excellent gas mileage. I only have two kids but my older teen often has friends over and we've have fit three very comfortably in the Fusion. It has a big back seat and a ginormous trunk!! My fil couldn't believe what I hauled out of the trunk when we drove the 16+ hours to visit him in Florida LOL!

Sharon in Austin, I would love to hear about the negatives. You can pm me!

Thanks!

Oh I don't mind being public about it. :001_smile:

Negatives on the Mazda5:

-Some of them have a problem with the remote door lock. Make sure yours doesn't, if you're buying used.

-Corollaries to it being a "minivan" that's actually a sedan:

--the engine is underpowered, so you're not going to get great acceleration

--lots of road noise (but lots less than our creaky Saturn....)

--low clearance underneath

--though it has lots of storage if you're driving it as a four-seater, when the whole back bench seat is up, you'll be lucky to fit an umbrella stroller in the back. The back bench seat does split, though, so we can fit in necessary stuff when there's just the five of us in the car.

-There's no outlet for plugging in an MP3 player. I don't care about this at all, but it really bugs dh.