Menu

I just hate it when people and the "propaganda" go on and on about what a GREAT Christian nation we started out as, and about the way things our AWESOME flawless Founding Fathers intended them to be... and they COMPLETELY ignore/gloss over the many atrocities that were committed by these supposed "Christians".

Am I making sense?

No, you are not making sense.

If you cannot look at historical figures through the prism of their own time then you simply cannot understand history.

The Founding fathers brought forth on this Earth the greatest nation heretofore seen. A nation based on Judaeo-Christian values and one that went further than any others to respecting the rights of the individual (yes I know that this did not include the rights a huge segment of the population, but look in context, and context is everything when looking at history)

Yes there were wrongs and horrors, but you have to see it in the context of the time. If in 200 years (God forbid) we all become vegans the population at that point may look to the US of the 50s and state that they were barbarians....they killed animals for their flesh and skins. Would they be right, in their context?...yes...in reality?....no. This is what you are doing and I am afraid that it does not work.

Think about in this way, the Founding Fathers created a nation that could develop to the point where you can now see their faults. What better compliment can you offer!

Edited by pqr

No, you are not making sense.

If you cannot look at historical figures through the prism of their own time then you simply cannot understand history.

The Founding fathers brought forth on this Earth the greatest nation heretofore seen. A nation based on Judaeo-Christian values and one that went further than any others to respecting the rights of the individual (yes I know that this did not include the rights of over 50% of the population, but look in context)

Yes there were wrongs and horrors, but you have to see it in the context of the time. If in 200 years (God forbid) we all become vegans the population at that point may look to the US of the 50s and state that they were barbarians....they killed animals for their flesh and skins. Would they be right, in their context?...yes...in reality?....no. This is what you are doing and I am afraid that it does not work.

Think about in this way, the Founding Fathers created a nation that could develop to the point where you can now see their faults. What better compliment can you offer!"

I meant Canada! Woops....long day.

Edited by simka2

:svengo:

Thanks for the perspective... I'll think that over...

I just re-hashed this thread to say that I ACED my Exam!!!!!

:thumbup:

That is NOT easy to do with this Professor... he is a COMPLETE History Buff and has been a part of "War Commissions" and was even a technical advisor for movies like Gettysburg and Andersonville.

*Sigh* I was sooooo worried about that exam b/c I didn't get to go into "detail" about a few of the battles in Grant's Overland Campaign, but I guess it was detailed enough :)

<Huuuuuuuuuuuuge sigh of relief!>

Congratulations!

Here are the happy dancers to celebrate with you!

:party: