Menu

Let's talk about geography, please!

So I've also been looking through past geography threads because my younger son really seems to enjoy it. I've also been casting around online a bit. I'd like to do a high school level geography for ninth grade that includes lots of living books (I think). I mean, I generally always prefer living books to textbooks - unless someone knows of a terrific geography textbook I've never seen.....?

I don't think that I really want a program like Mapping the World by Heart. My son isn't all that artistic and I'm not sure he would enjoy drawing out detailed maps, either. I don't think I want to focus just on human geography, either, although the PA hser's course looks interesting, if pricey. I think I'd like to touch on the five themes; work on mapping, but not necessarily drawing detailed maps from scratch; work with charts and graphs that are geography related, etc....

In looking at this older thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237059&highlight=geography

I noticed the rec for Harmony Art Mom's study. I like the look of the materials she is using and already have (or have access to) most of those. I don't notice any sort of schedule of how she's approaching the materials, though. Perhaps I'm just missing that and I can certainly contact her about it, but I'm wondering if anyone here is already using something like this and if you might have a schedule I could take a look at?

Pretty please and thank ye much,

Sending you a pm.

So I've also been looking through past geography threads because my younger son really seems to enjoy it. I've also been casting around online a bit. I'd like to do a high school level geography for ninth grade that includes lots of living books (I think). I mean, I generally always prefer living books to textbooks - unless someone knows of a terrific geography textbook I've never seen.....?

I don't think that I really want a program like Mapping the World by Heart. My son isn't all that artistic and I'm not sure he would enjoy drawing out detailed maps, either. I don't think I want to focus just on human geography, either, although the PA hser's course looks interesting, if pricey. I think I'd like to touch on the five themes; work on mapping, but not necessarily drawing detailed maps from scratch; work with charts and graphs that are geography related, etc....

In looking at this older thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237059&highlight=geography

I noticed the rec for Harmony Art Mom's study. I like the look of the materials she is using and already have (or have access to) most of those. I don't notice any sort of schedule of how she's approaching the materials, though. Perhaps I'm just missing that and I can certainly contact her about it, but I'm wondering if anyone here is already using something like this and if you might have a schedule I could take a look at?

Pretty please and thank ye much,

Regena just emailed me about the geography plans and I do have something that I could put together to share. I am just swamped right now with a rewrite of my Grade 2 Harmony Fine Arts plans and a spring nature plan for the OHC.

For the short answer to the questions-I used the Trail Guide for World Geography as a loose sort of "spine". I added in more countries to our plan, used the Geo-Scribe notebook pages, and built from there.

I have to admit that originally I manipulated a plan from Los Banos/Guest Hollow that she no longer has available because of copyright issues. She used Winter Promise as her spine.

So if you could be wait a few weeks or so, I can post a link to my plan on my blog when I have it up.

. . . but here's what I have planned for my son for next year.

He'll be using a Holt text called World Geography Today as a spine.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Geography-Today-Grades-9-12/dp/0030934192/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1297114296&sr=8-3

I happen to have it sitting on the shelf.

In addition to the text, I'm planning to have him read six novels about different countries. (I collected them thinking I'd use them for world history. But we've decided he'll do history with Florida Virtual School. I didn't want to let the books go to waste.)

The Wall (Germany, 1989)

Endless Steppe (Russia, WWII)

Waiting for the Rain (South Africa, Apartheid)

Nectar in a Sieve (India, 1940s)

Year of Impossible Goodbyes (North Korea, 1940s)

Clay Marble (Cambodia, 1970s)

I'm thinking I'll have him write a short summary about each book and it's setting.

Then, I just poked around the internet looking for project ideas. I found lesson plans for five projects that look fun.

I'm also collecting a list of movies that tie in with world geography.

I think it'll be a good class.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Geography-Today-Grades-9-12/dp/0030934192/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1297114296&sr=8-3

In addition to the text, I'm planning to have him read six novels about different countries. (I collected them thinking I'd use them for world history. But we've decided he'll do history with Florida Virtual School. I didn't want to let the books go to waste.)

The Wall (Germany, 1989)

I'm thinking I'll have him write a short summary about each book and it's setting.

Then, I just poked around the internet looking for project ideas. I found lesson plans for five projects that look fun.

So will this be for 1 credit, or 1/2 a credit?

The Wall (Germany, 1989)

Thank you for sharing your ideas! I am working on putting together a literature list to coincide with our geography studies and I am definitely going to check out the titles you have listed!! Thanks so much!

Would you care to share any links you found for project ideas, lesson plans or movies?

• 4 weeks later...
Regena just emailed me about the geography plans and I do have something that I could put together to share. I am just swamped right now with a rewrite of my Grade 2 Harmony Fine Arts plans and a spring nature plan for the OHC.

For the short answer to the questions-I used the Trail Guide for World Geography as a loose sort of "spine". I added in more countries to our plan, used the Geo-Scribe notebook pages, and built from there.

I have to admit that originally I manipulated a plan from Los Banos/Guest Hollow that she no longer has available because of copyright issues. She used Winter Promise as her spine.

So if you could be wait a few weeks or so, I can post a link to my plan on my blog when I have it up.

It's killing me to wait. Patience is a virtue, right? :D

• 3 weeks later...

I took a few hours today to pull together the rest of the plans to share. Here is the download:

Harmony Art Mom World Geography Plans

These are free plans to anyone who wishes to use them in their family. Please do not resell these plans.

I have included in the pdf some information on how you can return the favor if you decide to use the plans for you homeschool.

Please be gentle if you have questions or find errors, I tried the best I could to gather everything for you together quickly.

Edited by harmonyartmom

I took a few hours today to pull together the rest of the plans to share. Here is the download:

These are free plans to anyone who wishes to use them in their family. Please do not resell these plans.

I have included in the pdf some information on how you can return the favor if you decide to use the plans for you homeschool.

Please be gentle if you have questions or find errors, I tried the best I could to gather everything for you together quickly.

Barb, thank you for all of the hard work you do for the home school community. We have many of the resources your have listed since we did SL Core 5 with a secular twist a few years ago. I look forward to using your plans to revisit the material with much more emphasis on the geography. Take care. Here's wishing you and your family a joyous spring.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You are so incredibly kind to do this for us. What you wrote here:

I was hoping they would get a broader view of the world through a study of modern geography. (For example ancient Greece is not the same as 21st century Greece.)
is exactly what I am looking for with my son.

These plans look wonderful! I'm wondering how you would decide on credits too. Anyone know?

Shannon

I just paused in my Happy Dance to wonder the same thing! I had been planning a half-credit geography course based on Trail Guides, and was about to do all this work that Barbara has just given us, bless her heart! Okay, back to Happy Dance.

I just paused in my Happy Dance to wonder the same thing! I had been planning a half-credit geography course based on Trail Guides, and was about to do all this work that Barbara has just given us, bless her heart! Okay, back to Happy Dance.

No, no! No more happy dances until we know about credits! Just kidding! I'll join you b/c I think my DS will love this approach! See all the happy moms dance....all because of Barbara.......:party:

First of all...thanks for the love and appreciation for the geography plans. I know how valuable it is to have at least a skeleton to work from, adding and subtracting to fit your family. I need to mention again that the overall plan first came from Los Banos/Guest Hollow (Jennifer Guest). She pulled a lot of material together for the original plan and I just built from her foundation.

As far as credits, I gave them a full credit only because I counted hours spent in all aspects of the plans: current events (online, newspaper, and magazine reading), map work, country research and writing summaries, formal writing pieces, world religions, extra aspects like flora and fauna of each country, video watching, map skills tests, unit displays, and extra time with art and food for each country. More importantly, our weekly discussions were Socratic in nature...where I would give them leading questions and they would show me how they were connecting current events, past study of the history of countries, and then giving me some of their insights.

The internet community helped us a great deal as well. For instance in our study of China, my boys became interested in the 20th century story of Nepal and Tibet...the events and the conflicts still going on connected to those countries. We were able to actually ask someone who lives in China how the Chinese view Christianity, how they view people from Tibet and Nepal, and the overall conditions of families in that part of the world. We did the same in South Africa, contacting someone I know who lives there and asking them the hard questions. We spent a great deal of time making connections.

If you look at our plans we spend a great deal of time in the study of African countries. I decided this was an area that we had sorely neglected in our past study and it was time to delve in a bit. These led to really tough realities like child labor in the cocoa trade. Issues were brought up and we were able to discuss them openly and frankly.

This is what high school is all about! I am so glad that I stuck with it and hung in there to be able to see my boys blossom and grow into caring young men. This geography course was so much more than the plans, the credits, and the knowledge. It brought some more wisdom and caring into the hearts of two great kids. We now all have a greater view of the world.

The world map is still hanging in our living room and we use it every week as part of our everyday life. Tsunami in northern Japan...marked on the map. War brewing in Libya...marked on the map. New friend in Belgium....marked on the map.

I would encourage you all to devote at least part of a year to a more concentrated study of world geography and cultures. Although all of it will not go on the transcript, it will be instilled in the hearts of your children.

Sigh... I have always wistfully thought that when I grow up, I want to be Barb. :) Your descriptions of what goes on in your home, your pictures and videos, the plans that you so generously share - thank you so much, Barb, for being such a blessing and encouragement to the rest of us. You are giving your boys such a deep and thoughtful and lovely education. I aspire to do even half of what you do.

(Off to add geography to next year's plan...)