Menu

Is staying in Paris for a reasonable price impossible??

We have a family of 6, so hotels are crazy - we'd have to have two rooms. So I started looking at vacation apartment rentals and I'm getting a ton of lovely luxury apartments in 16th century castles, etc. Not really what I had in mind (although I'm sure they'd be lovely). I'd really like to find something - anything - on the relatively inexpensive end of things. Does anyone have any websites or leads on places to stay in Paris? We'll arrive there at the end of May and will be staying for five nights.

I've never been to Paris.

Have you tried youth hostels?

Have you checked Rick Steves' site? He does have resources for family travel as well as travel in general.

The Rick Steves' site looks great! Thanks. There is so much info on there about travelling in Paris.

Go you speak French? We found our Paris-area rental hom on the Gites-de-France site, and it was very reasonable. (It was about an hour away from Paris, or I'd recommend it to you.) DH was able to sort of translate it for us, but it was a bit odd to sign a contract in French.

Have you tried http://www.vrbo.com and http://www.homeaway.com?

Define "reasonable." We got a small hotel in Montmartre for a doable rate. I wouldn't call it cheap and it wasn't luxury, but it was fine - I didn't see any pests, the water was warm, the beds were comfy and the decor was weird. And the restaurant it was attached to was pretty good. But it was Paris. All the restaurants were pretty good.

We stayed at a campsite outside Paris close to the train station. We had a three bedroom little stationary trailer with a small kitchen and bathroom. It was like camping in a fairly large RV or trailer. It is pretty affordable and we thought it was fun. We brought food back and cooked most of our meals. We ate in Paris for fun but had the option of cheaping it up on food for a few meals since we had a kitchen. If your goal is Disney in Paris, then you would be on the wrong side of Paris. Still doable from this location, but a bit of a train ride.

http://www.eurocamp.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=campsites.regionmap&ver=1&regionid=14&mapID=19&regionname=Campsites-Paris-and-Picardy

No way. Talk me down. lol We're going to London this fall, and I didn't even remember Disneyland Paris. Why would I do that? We were going to take the chunnel and stay in Paris for at least two nights, and now I am thinking about adding one night at DLP just to say we did. If you book now, it's 30% off so it would only be about $200 for one night plus 3 tickets for two days in the mddle of the week in one of value WDW hotels, 20 walking minutes away or free shuttle) We've been to WDW, DL, and well, would I hate myself for taking my kids to DLP? That would be wrong, wouldn't it?

No way. Talk me down. lol We're going to London this fall, and I didn't even remember Disneyland Paris. Why would I do that? We were going to take the chunnel and stay in Paris for at least two nights, and now I am thinking about adding one night at DLP just to say we did. If you book now, it's 30% off so it would only be about $200 for one night plus 3 tickets for two days in the mddle of the week in one of value WDW hotels, 20 walking minutes away or free shuttle) We've been to WDW, DL, and well, would I hate myself for taking my kids to DLP? That would be wrong, wouldn't it?

:lol: You sound like me. We did add two days at DLP to our two week trip to France last year. I do feel a bit guilty about it, still, especially since the volcano wreaked havoc with the first (Paris) part of our trip. It was bad enough when we were going to see the Louvre first and then DLP. :tongue_smilie:

DLP is the most beautiful Disney park I've seen. I especially love their Tomorrowland theming. Soo much better than the parks in the U.S.

If you go, be sure to go on Crush. A coaster in the dark that spins. Fun for adults, and even my 4yo could ride.

I have to say, it is a GREAT park. All of Tomorrowland is based upon Jules Verne novels. For example, instead of Space Mountain they have A Trip to the Moon. It's awesome! Don't miss the sleeping dragon under the castle!

:lol: You sound like me. We did add two days at DLP to our two week trip to France last year. I do feel a bit guilty about it, still, especially since the volcano wreaked havoc with the first (Paris) part of our trip. It was bad enough when we were going to see the Louvre first and then DLP. :tongue_smilie:

DLP is the most beautiful Disney park I've seen. I especially love their Tomorrowland theming. Soo much better than the parks in the U.S.

If you go, be sure to go on Crush. A coaster in the dark that spins. Fun for adults, and even my 4yo could ride.

:iagree:Been to all five Disneyland Parks and Paris is my favorite.

Not sure if it helps--or if it's even still there--we camped when we stayed in Paris. There was a campground near the park in the city, not far from the Arc if I remember correctly.

If you want to go a little more French, you could try Parc Asterix in addition to Disneyland Paris. It's cheaper, too!:D

I had no idea that there was even such a place. Now the entire family is very excited. :D The kids and dh are huge Asterix fans (as well as Tintin, but more Asterix). If you have any tips or info on this Parc, do please share. If not, I'll just search online? Is it hard to get to from Paris?

Yeah, it's great. We were there in August, and had a lot of fun. It is not as flashy as Disney, though, so if you go there and Disney, you probably want to go to PA first. I think we paid around 29 euros a person, compared to 40 or so charged at Disney (probably a lot of people get discounts, though, so look into it ahead of time). We always stay in Compiegne, as dh works near there, so the company pays the hotel and rental van. You need a rental vehicle, as there is no public transportation (that I know of) to PA. But you'll be in Paris, right? Maybe now there is a bus scheme to get you to PA.

We intend to go to PA and Disney for a day each the last week of August. That's the family vacation this year.

Yeah, it's great. We were there in August, and had a lot of fun. It is not as flashy as Disney, though, so if you go there and Disney, you probably want to go to PA first. I think we paid around 29 euros a person, compared to 40 or so charged at Disney (probably a lot of people get discounts, though, so look into it ahead of time). We always stay in Compiegne, as dh works near there, so the company pays the hotel and rental van. You need a rental vehicle, as there is no public transportation (that I know of) to PA. But you'll be in Paris, right? Maybe now there is a bus scheme to get you to PA.

We intend to go to PA and Disney for a day each the last week of August. That's the family vacation this year.

Thanks for your helpful reply. :)

Not as flashy as Disney is actually quite appealing. We have no intention of doing Paris Disney, since we've done Disney in Orlando. And besides, there are other things we'd much prefer to do in Paris, particularly since our dc have never been there before.

The rental car might be a pain, since we weren't planning on that. But not impossible. Yes, we're staying in Paris. Will look into transportation options. The fees for Parc Asterix, I think, have gone up ... if they're as high as I think they are, I'm not too sure that we'll go. Something to think about.

Thanks for your helpful reply. :)

Not as flashy as Disney is actually quite appealing. We have no intention of doing Paris Disney, since we've done Disney in Orlando. And besides, there are other things we'd much prefer to do in Paris, particularly since our dc have never been there before.

The rental car might be a pain, since we weren't planning on that. But not impossible. Yes, we're staying in Paris. Will look into transportation options. The fees for Parc Asterix, I think, have gone up ... if they're as high as I think they are, I'm not too sure that we'll go. Something to think about.

Smart girl.;)

The rates have gone up! Those are crazy prices!

You know, I would wait until a little before you go to decide if you want to go. I remember we got cheaper tickets last year, even cheaper than 29 euros, I think, and we only bought them 3 days before. There is an offer for 25 euros if you buy them 7 days in advance now.

It really is a cute, fun place, and a nice break from more serious sightseeing, lol. But the idea of having to get a rental car is a true pain. The easiest thing would probably be to take the RER to Roissy and rent a car for a day.

I wish we were going to be there at the same time; I'd send dh to pick you up!:)

The rates have gone up! Those are crazy prices!

You know, I would wait until a little before you go to decide if you want to go. I remember we got cheaper tickets last year, even cheaper than 29 euros, I think, and we only bought them 3 days before. There is an offer for 25 euros if you buy them 7 days in advance now.

I wish we were going to be there at the same time; I'd send dh to pick you up!:)

Yes, those prices are ridiculous. Thanks for the tip to check the rates right before leaving. It would be be great if we get a good deal and they had some sort of shuttle service.

And yes, it would be even greater if we were all there at the same time. :D :grouphug:

Just wanted to add that PA is just 15 or 20 minutes north of Roissy (where Charles de Gaulle airport is), so not much time in the car at all.

Will consider it if we get a good deal a week or so before. Hopefully we will. :)