Menu

Any Otto Von Bismarck experts? Need help with a pro-German unification project

My DS has to make a sign/poster that is for pro German unification in 1860s. It has to be a sign that a citizen from then would make.

His/my question is why did von Bismarck want to unify Germany? Was is purely for own power grab?

I am trying to guide DS but I can't really think of reasons to BE pro-unification that a citizen would have made.

His textbook s^ck$.

We used two texts, The Revolutionary Era, 1789-1850 and The Age of Nationalism and Reform 1850-1890, both by Norton I think. I don't have any good links, but a quick search turned up this summary of unification and this essay on liberal nationalism. This outline looks pretty good too.

ETA: on that last link, p. 2 Impact on Germany: that date should be 1800, not 1900

Edited by Karenciavo

You can read through this (scroll down and there is a section on unification and his chancellorship and then down to the Legacy section), but I don't know if it will answer your questions. We have a statue of Bizmarck downtown (we live in Germany) and the entrance to the Hauptstrasse (high street/main street) is called the Bismarckplatz. People are always demonstrating and rallying around the statue for whatever reason.

I'm sure part of his reasoning for unification was for power, but there were so many German states with different rulers/laws/etc, that Germany was not strong. In many ways it made sense for all the small principalities and states to form one country given the political climate of the time and the fact that so many other countries (Austria-Hungary, France, Denmark) were all land hungry and the small states in Germany easy pickings. After the unification, Germany was one of the strongest countries in Europe.

HTH!

We used two texts, The Revolutionary Era, 1789-1850 and The Age of Nationalism and Reform 1850-1890, both by Norton I think. I don't have any good links, but a quick search turned up this summary of unification and this essay on liberal nationalism. This outline looks pretty good too.

ETA: on that last link, p. 2 Impact on Germany: that date should be 1800, not 1900

Thanks so much!

You can read through this (scroll down and there is a section on unification and his chancellorship and then down to the Legacy section), but I don't know if it will answer your questions. We have a statue of Bizmarck downtown (we live in Germany) and the entrance to the Hauptstrasse (high street/main street) is called the Bismarckplatz. People are always demonstrating and rallying around the statue for whatever reason.

I'm sure part of his reasoning for unification was for power, but there were so many German states with different rulers/laws/etc, that Germany was not strong. In many ways it made sense for all the small principalities and states to form one country given the political climate of the time and the fact that so many other countries (Austria-Hungary, France, Denmark) were all land hungry and the small states in Germany easy pickings. After the unification, Germany was one of the strongest countries in Europe.

HTH!

Thanks so much!

(I'd love to take some German lessons so I could correctly pronounce those names! They look so neat!)