Menu

Why DIDN'T MFW Work For You?

SnMomof7

Thanks for this thread. At the beginning of the year, I was pretty sold on all things MFW (except for high school, which doesn't matter because it's a loooong way away for us).

I started my son in K, even though he knew all of his letter sounds and was beginning to blend words. First, I ended up cutting out the handwriting worksheets. He's a lefty and worked better with an Getty-Dubay. Then, he started getting bored with the same-ness of the worksheets. We started doing 2 or 3 letters a week. Then I switched to Singapore Early Bird so he would be more interested in math. For Bible he was memorizing Scripture from CC, so that was cut out.

I ended up tweaking and tweaking and tweaking until I was using a few of the worksheets each week and some of the Science. I bought many books because I have 4 children ages 1-6. We still would go to the library, but not consistently enough to make the Science work better for us (my K'er LOVES all things Science).

Finally, as I began to review our year and plan for the next, I came to the realization that in two years I would have one in K, 1st and Adventures. I just can't go there. Instead, I really need everyone to have their own handwriting, math and phonics/LA (a la the workbox system) and do the rest of the activities together.

Like many of you, I wanted SO desperately wanted MFW to be it. Maybe quitting after K is too soon, but I just didn't see any way to make it work in the long run.

Monica

:grouphug: What do you think you will go with next year?

Thanks for this thread. At the beginning of the year, I was pretty sold on all things MFW (except for high school, which doesn't matter because it's a loooong way away for us).

I started my son in K, even though he knew all of his letter sounds and was beginning to blend words. First, I ended up cutting out the handwriting worksheets. He's a lefty and worked better with an Getty-Dubay. Then, he started getting bored with the same-ness of the worksheets. We started doing 2 or 3 letters a week. Then I switched to Singapore Early Bird so he would be more interested in math. For Bible he was memorizing Scripture from CC, so that was cut out.

I ended up tweaking and tweaking and tweaking until I was using a few of the worksheets each week and some of the Science. I bought many books because I have 4 children ages 1-6. We still would go to the library, but not consistently enough to make the Science work better for us (my K'er LOVES all things Science).

Finally, as I began to review our year and plan for the next, I came to the realization that in two years I would have one in K, 1st and Adventures. I just can't go there. Instead, I really need everyone to have their own handwriting, math and phonics/LA (a la the workbox system) and do the rest of the activities together.

Like many of you, I wanted SO desperately wanted MFW to be it. Maybe quitting after K is too soon, but I just didn't see any way to make it work in the long run.

Monica

Monica,

What are you using now? Just because I'm nosey and curiosity gets the better of me:D

We really like their history, but we're not in love with the science either. We tried really hard to use it, but really need a more structured curriculum for science. We're using RS4K this year and Apologia/Answers in Genesis next year.

Blessings!

Dorinda

LOL! I'd love to share. Especially if it adds fuel to a curriculum junkie's fire. ;)

For next year, I think I am going to do SL. I've been reading the books for P4/5, but I think I'll do Core K. At least, that's what I'll use for history, read-alouds and Science. Adding hands-on activities when I can.

For Math, I am going to use Singapore and continue with Getty/Dubay for handwriting. I am considering using the Mona Brook's Art program once or twice a week for activities.

LA is where I am stuck. I haven't heard many positive reviews on SL's LA. Since I'll be teaching one to read, and furthering the oldest's Phonics instruction I really want a good, solid, simple program. It's hard to find something that doesn't include handwriting, or isn't expensive.

I was considering OPGTR and FLL for the oldest. Or, I may buy SL LA and review it before I decide to throw it away completely. *sigh* My kids are so young and I'm already having yearly freak-outs over curriculum. LOL!

My goals until they are 8 is to read a lot, give them a solid beginning math and reading foundation. Realistically, I need something that comes with a schedule. Not that I feel the need to enslave myself to it, just something to keep me on target. I have four kids between the ages of 1 and 6, so I want it to be as simple and cut and dried as possible.

That's where I'm at for next year. Clear as mud? LOL!

Monica

LOL! I'd love to share. Especially if it adds fuel to a curriculum junkie's fire. ;)

For next year, I think I am going to do SL. I've been reading the books for P4/5, but I think I'll do Core K. At least, that's what I'll use for history, read-alouds and Science. Adding hands-on activities when I can.

For Math, I am going to use Singapore and continue with Getty/Dubay for handwriting. I am considering using the Mona Brook's Art program once or twice a week for activities.

LA is where I am stuck. I haven't heard many positive reviews on SL's LA. Since I'll be teaching one to read, and furthering the oldest's Phonics instruction I really want a good, solid, simple program. It's hard to find something that doesn't include handwriting, or isn't expensive.

I was considering OPGTR and FLL for the oldest. Or, I may buy SL LA and review it before I decide to throw it away completely. *sigh* My kids are so young and I'm already having yearly freak-outs over curriculum. LOL!

My goals until they are 8 is to read a lot, give them a solid beginning math and reading foundation. Realistically, I need something that comes with a schedule. Not that I feel the need to enslave myself to it, just something to keep me on target. I have four kids between the ages of 1 and 6, so I want it to be as simple and cut and dried as possible.

That's where I'm at for next year. Clear as mud? LOL!

Monica

YUP! :lol:

I asked because I wondered if you were considering Sonlight. I never liked Sonlight's LA, but they've revamped them in the last year. I'm going to try Core 5's LA, but I haven't decided if I'm going to do Core 1+2's LA with my youngest. Are you still working on Phonics? Have you looked at Explode the Code or Rod and Staff? We've used both and really like them.

And no freaking out about curriculum! You're allowed to change every year if you need to. :D

Blessings!

Dorinda

So, how old is your oldest Monica, 6? I'd just work on reading, and let the rest of LA go ;). SL's LA could definitely be too much, it's certainly not WTM styled as far as developmental expectations go. We are doing Core K right now, my oldest is 7, almost 8. Once she really caught onto reading we started Rod and Staff English 2 for LA, we just do one lesson a day, so scheduling is easy peasy :). It definitely isn't expensive, very simple writing and grammar instruction. We also do do it ourselves WTM way copywork, narration, etc. Of course, that doesn't include spelling...don't ask me about that ;). Still trying to figure out what will work best for us.

Thanks ladies!

I am pretty sure I am going to use ETC for both boys next year. I think I'll have my oldest do narrations and copywork from the books we read.

I am very excited to start SL again! I think I'm going to do all of the kids together, excpet where the books are inappropriate for youngers. Then my oldest and I can have a special reading time together during nap time and the youngest can be read to from Core P4/5.

Thank you both for your suggestions. I love researching. Until it becomes obsessive and anxiety-ridden. LOL! It's nice to know there are so many wonderful choices.

Monica

Me too, but I head into obsessive land fairly fast. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks ladies!

Thank you both for your suggestions. I love researching. Until it becomes obsessive and anxiety-ridden. LOL! It's nice to know there are so many wonderful choices.

Monica

Obsessive?!? Anxiety-ridden?!? Who, me?:leaving: