Menu

Dd just released her first professional music video!

Dd's band, The Gutter Press, just released their first professionally produced music video last night at midnight. This is an original song, and it's family friendly :).

Folks, this is what homeschooling can do for your kids......it gives them time to pursue a passion (dd=violin, classical & indie alternative music), and the space to become who they are meant to be. Dd is now a college freshman, and she met her lead singer at orientation. These guys have done tons of work since September!

Enjoy:

Edited by Beth in OH

Dd's band, The Gutter Press, just released their first professionally produced music video last night at midnight. This is an original song, and it's family friendly :).

Folks, this is what homeschooling can do for your kids......it gives them time to pursue a passion (dd=violin, classical & indie alternative music), and the space to become who they are meant to be. Dd is now a college freshman, and she met her lead singer at orientation. These guys have done tons of work since September!

Enjoy:

Hi again Beth! Wonderful! I was able to watch part of the music video, but I think our browser ? or something (I'm not real compute literate) is not up to date. What I saw was great...creative.

Thanks to all of you for your congratulatory wishes. I am very proud of dd for working hard and choosing to make things happen in her life. I definitely appreciate the courage it takes to put yourself out there!

For those of you who are just learning an instrument, hang in there!!!! Dd was right where you are at one time--sometimes just sticking with it is all you need. Just to encourage you, dd was not passionate about the violin when she was young, she fought me on practicing for years, and still doesn't like to practice. She does like the end result, though. :001_smile:

Beth,

This violin playing and teaching homeschool mom LOVED the music and loved seeing your dd playing. I was just telling someone today that there weren't as many cool violin role models back in when I was in high school and college. It wasn't until I was in my 40s that I got my first electric fiddle and started learning to improvise. So, tell your dd that she totally rocks!!

So...what kind of electric fiddle is that? Yamaha? And does she use it when performing or the acoustic with a pick up? And did she figure out on her own how to incorporate the violin into Indie rock or did she have a mentor or teacher that taught her the ropes of chord progression?

It wasn't until I was in my 40s that I got my first electric fiddle and started learning to improvise.

Dd was heavily involved in chamber music throughout high school, and the artistic director is a violist whose improvisation experience was much like yours. She had the wisdom and vision to realize that today's musicians can't depend on a classical career and need to be able to play many styles of music. She demystified improv by requiring her fellowship students to participate in a jazz program taught by a very gifted teacher (a jazz pianst/composer). That's really where my dd lost her fear of launching into uncharted musical waters (that's a pun!). She then listened to a lot of music that used more complex harmonies (the band Muse--who are classically trained) and began learning the lead guitar parts on her violin by ear. That's really where she started, and beginning her junior year of high school, she started putting some things together with some local kids. Her current band is so much fun, because the musicians are so solid--the guitar player/lead singer is studying bassoon, and the pianist is a jazz piano major. It's been a blast to collaborate with well-trained players.

So...what kind of electric fiddle is that? Yamaha? And does she use it when performing or the acoustic with a pick up?

The violin is a 5 string Yamaha: http://www.electricviolinshop.com/violins/yamaha-ev205-blue.html

This is her 2nd electric--the first was a Fender entry level 4 string. I expect that if she continues doing the band thing, she'll eventually move up to a custom electric. She generally performs with the electric so that she can easily plug in to the amps, processors, etc. Plus, her acoustic is her new "professional" quality violin, and she really doesn't want it around a club or performance venue due to its value.

FWIW, she loves the band, but she also loves chamber music. The most important thing for her to accomplish this quarter was to put together a piano trio that she could play Beethoven with. She's working very hard! She's in her element, though. So cool!

Absolutely amazing! This is the type of music my dd and I really enjoy. We'll be sure to buy the album - looks like it's being released soon?

AHAHAHA! You knew more than I did about the timing of the album! I know they did all of the recording during winter break in December, and now they are editing and mixing. Their Tumblr site does say it should be out in the next couple of weeks. If you follow them on Tumblr or Facebook [The Gutter Press], you'll get an announcement. Oh--they tweet, also.

Beth

I've got a 5 string Skyinbow from the Electric Violin Shop and I just love having that 5th string!! I too also play chamber music, but I so envy your daughter getting this experience at this age. Her high school chamber music director was brilliant to introduce improvisation.

I hope your dd doesn't mind having a homeschool mom groupie!! I'm looking forward to sharing the video with my students.

And I didn't say it last post, but a congratulatory high 5 to you, you proud homeschool mom!!

I hope your dd doesn't mind having a homeschool mom groupie!! I'm looking forward to sharing the video with my students.

She'd love it! All groupies are welcome!

Claire has a heart for kids, and that loooong path to learning the violin. If she's ever in So.Cal. maybe she can stop in and do a workshop for you.:D

BTW, she wanted me to ask you how long your daughter's band has been playing together.

Since September, when they met each other as freshman music students in college. They each have years of private individual study and performance under their belts, so they were each able to bring a lot to the band right away. I'm amazed that they've written and recorded an entire album (plus this video) in that short amount of time.

Dd started playing this style of music with friends when she was about your dd's age. That's the best way to get started--just jump in and do it.