Menu

Public school costs

I was commenting to dh about the guilt about buying curriculum thread.

I said as how I think we spent about $1500 last year for all 7 kids and I don't think we could send them to the local public school for that.

Dh disagrees.

I know it isn't in one big chunk at the start of the year, but I think public school parents are nickel and dimed all year long and if it's added up, I bet seven kids would easily reach $1500.

Opinions? Agree or disagree?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on what you are counting.

My kids take music lessons through the school (but outside of a class). Do you count that cost?

Are you counting pencils, crayons, binders, and other school supplies? (Ours are for individual use by my kids?)

Do you count buying your way out of fundraisers for the PTO?

Do you count lunch money? (optional)

Most years, I spend less than $200 per kid for school supplies and field trips. (If I need to buy a scientific calculator or replace a worn out back pack, that kid might come in slightly higher.)

Music lessons and rental is more than that.

I donate money to the PTO and sports teams in lieu of helping with most fundraisers. That adds about $100 per kid per year.

No, when mine went to ps for several years, that would not have been the case. About $20 in school supplies at the beginning of the year, at maximum. Maybe total of $10 in money for field trips etc.

I do not count Christmas gifts for teachers because these are completely voluntary; and I also do not count lunch because my kids eat at home, too.

I also do not count clothes as a school related cost- because my kids wear clothes even when we homeschool.

I wonder about this as well, I know that I spent about $700 or so I believe last year and that wouldn't come close to what we would pay for Church school, in gas alone. For public school I don't know that it would be that much though, I would have fewer supplies for sure but more clothes, we can get by w/ mostly play clothes at home. Not sure about fundraisers and such, I would expect $100 or so at least in that.

My kids take music lessons through the school (but outside of a class). Do you count that cost?

Are you counting pencils, crayons, binders, and other school supplies? (Ours are for individual use by my kids?)

Do you count buying your way out of fundraisers for the PTO?

Most years, I spend less than $200 per kid for school supplies and field trips. (If I need to buy a scientific calculator or replace a worn out back pack, that kid might come in slightly higher.)

Music lessons and rental is more than that.

I donate money to the PTO and sports teams in lieu of helping with most fundraisers. That adds about $100 per kid per year.

I would count all of these. Especially as I have 5 dc playing 6 instruments.

If the fundraisers are a requirement, then I would count those. What happens if you don't do them?

I wouldn't count lunch, but I would count all the other foods required for class parties and such.

But wow, $1500 is pretty darn good for 7 kids!

That's what I thought!

Just curious, those of you who mention clothes as an expense because your kids wear play clothes at home--what kind of clothes do kids wear to school in your area?

I would count a portion if clothes.

Pending the school, the dress codes can be a royal PITA. No sports logos, no bulky winter wear, no whatever the heck is deemed gang wear (which can be just about anything), no religious or other slogans and so forth. And some do require uniforms too.

So if it means that they can't just grab any pair of jeans and shirt out of the closet, then I would consider that an added expense.

Just curious, those of you who mention clothes as an expense because your kids wear play clothes at home--what kind of clothes do kids wear to school in your area?

Name brand clothing, jeans, cargo pants, dresses/tunics over leggings, polos, nice t shirts/tops, good sneakers/shoes. Obviously I combined boys and girls there, lol.

As it is, my kids each have a couple such outfits. They each have a good pair of sneaks. If they were in school, they would have several such outfits. Maybe it's not necessary, but it's what we would do.

ETA: I agree that $1500 to hs 7 kids is really good!!

I know "standard" school supply lists for elementary/middle school here run about $150 per kid, per year. And school fees start at $50 for ES, and go up from there. Backpack, school lunches (or lunchbox), nicer clothes (mine won't leave clothes ON at home... but I do make them dress presentably to go out in public), field trips (because the places we go on field trips we would go anyway on weekends and school holidays), gym shoes (our ES/MS require them to be left at school) and the continual push for funds (fundraising, teacher's gifts, classroom parties)... Way more than $1500 for 7. I would be looking at at least $600 for 2 kids.

I think people feel pressured to buy good presentable clothes. Kids get teased, bullied, etc if they show up in stuff that they might lounge around the house in. I'm not saying that is right, but it's really how things are. I love that I don't have to worry about it!

Yes. This. I don't really care about name brand or whatever. And I don't really care if my kids wear the same shirt twice that week as long it's not two days in a row and is clean. They dress decent to nice. No holey pants ever. Pants always fit right. Nicer tshirts or collared shirts.

But in school is brutal harsh judgement. For girls of any age (my dd10 would be crushed like a bug if she had to suffer mean girl fashion comments every week) and teens. I wouldn't care if they got teased once in a while, deal with it. But I would certainly not want them to feel targeted and self conscious every day, that seriously wears on confidence in any kid.

re: clothes around the house the kids wore extremely stained up and holey clothes for play clothes, stuff I can get for usually 25c to 50c a piece. Although, dd does get handme downs I usually don't get much for ds, our school requires uniforms as well.

I think part of what is throwing dh is that most of that $1500 was on two kids. The others could use materials I already had. But high school isn't cheap and I don't have many years of materials built up over the years like I do for say, 2nd grade. But either way, it all comes out even among the kids in the end.

I think part of what is throwing dh is that most of that $1500 was on two kids. The others could use materials I already had. But high school isn't cheap and I don't have many years of materials built up over the years like I do for say, 2nd grade. But either way, it all comes out even among the kids in the end.

But a lot of that would be non-consumable & can be used down the line with, say, your now-second grader. Right?

I think it depends on the age of the child. We pay the fees for our grandchildren. DGD is in middle school and save for school supplies (which were around $100), we haven't been nickle and dimed. Now our DGS is in high school. Oh, my goodness :svengo:. Class dues were $200, school supplies were well over $100, yearbook was $120, wrestling expenses have been at least $400. We aren't even to prom season yet! By the end of this year, his expenses will exceed $1000.

Disagree in my area.

At the beginning of the school year the school supply list is about 20-35 dollars per kid. I restock in less than $5 increments about every 4 months or so.

Clothes -- tshirts, jeans, tennis shoes. Mostly hand me downs or thrift shop buys. (I have a 15, 10, 8 and 4 year old in the local schools.) 18 year old attends private school with uniforms. So the same clothes we wear at home are the ones that the kids wear to school.

Field trips -- about $10 per year per kid. When I did homeschool field trips I had to pay for siblings to attend so an activity while homeschooling would cost much more.

I've never done a fundraiser. Music lessons -- chorus is free and the recorder cost $5 for two kids. No student fees or anything like that here.

Food: we qualify (quite easily ) for free lunches so it costs me less in food to send my kids to school as I don't have to do lunches at home.

Homeschooling costs me more. That being said, if I were in a different place in my life I would be homeschooling several of my children.

Each Child... $100 extra because of "Extra" clothes needed.... (kinda the difference between going to work for us... it's their work:)) $100 for school supplies, $200- $250 for field trips. (we have 4 that are "optional" but the "reward" for "good acting" public school kids... so even more if we "Donate" for the children who are able to go... but don't have $$$) $2.00 a day for lunch, because she likes to eat there. (even if you pack it... it's more than eating at home, because of how you pack a lunch) Backpacks.... Extra supplies... after yours have been depleted... Occasionally running things to school (wow x7) You really need internet and a separate computer for your kids.... (so for yours at least 1 for every 2 or 3 kids that are in... maybe 6th and above...)

This is just the kinda "base" of what ours costs....

But a lot of that would be non-consumable & can be used down the line with, say, your now-second grader. Right?

No way. Even if it is non consumable, there's no way it will last through six years of near constant use. Software becomes incompatible with updated machines. Books literally fall apart. (quality bound materials are not the norm, ime) A younger sibling has very different learning needs. Or the noncumable portion is still good, but the consumable part has been updated or changed to the point you have to buy the newer non consumable componet.

One can probably get a couple years out of a product, maybe even three students close in age. But it is very rare, ime, to get use for all the kids in a large family from one purchase.

When my kids went to school, DD wore jeans and T-shirts, DS wore sweat pants or cargo pants and T-Shirts (he does not like jeans). That's what the other kids wear. That's what they wear at home, too.

They obviously would wear clean clothes to school. They want to wear clean clothes now that they are homeschooled, too - except for cleaning stalls at the barn.

Even if they continued in school, I would not buy brand name clothing. Expensive clothes are no safeguard against bullying.

I'm curious, those of you who list expensive lists of school supplies: what did your schools demand that made it so costly?

Our lists always had notebooks, binders, folders, filler paper, pencils, erasers, pens and highlighters. At back-to-school-sale in August, notebooks are c5-10cts a piece, I bought enough to last the school year.

No way. Even if it is non consumable, there's no way it will last through six years of near constant use. Software becomes incompatible with updated machines. Books literally fall apart. (quality bound materials are not the norm, ime) A younger sibling has very different learning needs. Or the noncumable portion is still good, but the consumable part has been updated or changed to the point you have to buy the newer non consumable componet.

One can probably get a couple years out of a product, maybe even three students close in age. But it is very rare, ime, to get use for all the kids in a large family from one purchase.

Ok, maybe not for your second grader. But definitely can be used with a close in age sibling or resold immediately if there's not a sibling that can use it. At least for books. Software would definitely depend a lot on what software it is, etc....

And it makes sense that you're spending more on HS age kids, because PS cost more at the high school level as well. Every class has a fee, most of them starting at $50 and heading up. If they're AP classes, add a $50 test fee on top of the class fee. It adds up.

The 2 years my son went to ps we probably spent around $50 per year. Maybe less? I am talking about costs that were necessary, like a few school supplies and one field trip per year. I would not count clothes and food in our case, as I didn't buy anything different back then. I packed his lunch all year and he still eats the same things now that he is home.

Fundraisers are definitely voluntary. Although the school would like to have 100% participation, they never do. There is usually an incentive if the school has 100% participation (like a pizza party or ice cream day), but they set the bar at 90% because they know that there are always some families who do not participate. I thought that was funny.

I know in our case that we will spend a lot more on homeschooling, but I am OK with that. And I have to say that $1500 is really amazing for 7 children, I hope your husband realizes that. :) I could easily spend that much on 2 kids, if I bought my whole wish list. :tongue_smilie:

my ds in in 7th grade. His school supplies for these year were: 2 binders, 1 notebook. paper and pencils (it was all stuff that we already had around the house). No school fees, no field trips (the only field trip that ds's school has ever had was to walk a couple of blocks over to see a play at the high school). I just toss all fundraiser info that is sent home. Ds takes his lunch which is 2 peanut butter sandwiches and 2 containers of milk every day, pretty much what he would eat at home for lunch. He wears the exact same pair of army pants every SINGLE day and tosses on a t-shirt. He belongs to fishing club (school provides everything, even his very nice hoodie that he wears everyday). I did pre-pay for his yearbook which was $30.

70% of the students at our high school are bused in from off shore towns and the towns pay a pretty penny to send their kids to our high school (the primary and middle school are just for local kids) but maybe some of that money is used for all 3 schools and that is why ds's school provides most everything that he needs.

We live in a small town in a rural area. Our cost at registration is $60 per kid for elementary (high school is more). Lunches are $2 per day per kid. Fundraisers are optional, and school supplies are around $25 per kid because they're mostly the items you can get for under a dollar in late summer.

$1500 for seven kids sounds very reasonable.

I'm curious, those of you who list expensive lists of school supplies: what did your schools demand that made it so costly?

Our lists always had notebooks, binders, folders, filler paper, pencils, erasers, pens and highlighters. At back-to-school-sale in August, notebooks are c5-10cts a piece, I bought enough to last the school year.

I know when my dds were in school the supply list was expensive because the lists included cleaning supplies, plain t-shirts (to decorate for field trips), copy paper, ziplock bags and the teachers even told you what brand to buy. It was always the name brand, most expensive. They were also very specific in the type of book bag you could buy. It was ridiculous.

ETA: Also, on their first day of art rotation they came home with another list of supplies for art class. The school supplied very little for the class but it was required.

My dd is in 7th grade at PS and the costs have been minimal to us. Aside from school supplies and 1 field trip I haven't sent any money to the school at all.

I don't think I've spent any more on clothing than I would if she was at home. Dd is 13, hard to fit, and very picky. Shopping at thrift stores or second hand for her clothing would be difficult regardless of where she went to school. She has a hard enough time finding new things at the store she likes and fit her comfortably.

If dd had been homeschooled this year I would have bought the next level of TT (Grade 7) and something for language arts. She likely would be sharing MFW and LFC with her sister which would have no additional cost aside from extra student sheets. I'm sure I would have spent at least $200 on materials for her.

I'm surprised no one mentioned book fees. Around here, parents pay a "use" fee for schoolbooks. A former co-worker showed me her son's list. She could have bought the books for less than the school was charging. The books must be returned in good condition at the end of the year or there is an additional fee. I asked what happened if she didn't pay. She said the school had some books for classroom use. Her son would not be able to do his homework if she did not pay.

I'm surprised no one mentioned book fees. Around here, parents pay a "use" fee for schoolbooks. A former co-worker showed me her son's list. She could have bought the books for less than the school was charging. The books must be returned in good condition at the end of the year or there is an additional fee. I asked what happened if she didn't pay. She said the school had some books for classroom use. Her son would not be able to do his homework if she did not pay.

Are you in the US? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that while schools can require you to have your own supplies (pencils, paper, etc.), can require uniforms or a dress code (and obviously uniforms cost money), and can charge for "optional" activities like extracurriculars, field trips, etc. they cannot charge book fees for basic classes. That doesn't mean some schools don't do it anyway... and I may be wrong. That was just my understanding. Of course, if you lose or abuse the book, they can charge you - that's different. None of the public schools I worked in charge book fees and nor to the public schools here to my knowledge.

A lot of this depends on your district and your specific standards. Just like how much you spend on homeschool really depends on where you are, what you can do, and what expectations you have.

I've done both and the costs are reasonably similar. I spent @$150 for homeschool materials, and maybe an additional $50 for supplies and fees over the year. I'm unsure how much we spent on ink cartridges and paper.

I rarely spend more then that when the kids go to PS. I don't buy name brand clothing (and that's not generally expected where we live).

What is cheaper is PS art, music, PE, and cool field trips. I had to minimize that when we were homeschooling because if we took karate ($135/month) then piano was too expensive ($55/m). If were taking music, then art was too expensive. Covering these topics with individual classes is much more expensive.

Are you in the US? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that while schools can require you to have your own supplies (pencils, paper, etc.), can require uniforms or a dress code (and obviously uniforms cost money), and can charge for "optional" activities like extracurriculars, field trips, etc. they cannot charge book fees for basic classes. That doesn't mean some schools don't do it anyway... and I may be wrong. That was just my understanding. Of course, if you lose or abuse the book, they can charge you - that's different. None of the public schools I worked in charge book fees and nor to the public schools here to my knowledge.

They get around it by saying they aren't charging you for the book per se, but to have the option to take the book home. So they aren't charging you for the book used in class, but you can't have one for personal use outside class unless you pay the fee.

Many students here don't have their own book to use outside class. Sometimes there aren't enough books even for in the class.

If I were homeschooling my highschooler, I would probably blow more than $1500 on him alone on curriculum and outside classes (for adv subjects I cannot cover). Public school is way cheaper for me.

The clothes argument has always bothered me. I do not spend a lot on clothes for my dc and it's never been an issue. My high schooler wears jeans and T shirts daily. His jeans typically come from Target or other discount retailer. He complains a lot about what we don't do for him and he's never complained about his clothes--if non name brand clothing were an issue he would certainly let us know. Now, maybe you think that's because he's a boy, but I do have a girl too. My dd is just beginning her public school career. She is in 7th grade and middle school definitely more difficult on status issues than high school. I buy her clothing at discount stores too, she also gets hand me downs (out of date often) from cousins. I told her after I covered the basics a few pairs of jeans a couple of skirts, new sneakers and dress shoes (all things she needed whether or not she attended school) she had to buy anything else. She used pet sitting money to get three more pairs of shoes and boots at Payless. I did not buy either child anything I would not have purchased otherwise. And neither has said "I need X brand jeans or sneakers".

This is what a our registration fee is mostly for. Even elementary about $100 is for books. Then add on workbook fees, and activity fees, and on, and on, and on.... High School the minimum fee is around $250.

Edited by AnitaMcC

Yes, I am in the U.S. As Martha stated, the school is providing books for use in the classroom. It is hard to study or do well, however, if you can't take the book home. Most families who qualify for free lunch can get the fees waived. They must apply for the waiver, it is not automatic. If your family does not qualify for a waiver, you pay extra to help defray the costs of the waivers.

I grew up in a state where parents supplied almost nothing until high school. Then they paid for a calculator and some books that we got to keep. The schools even supplied pencils and paper. I have since lived in several states where that is not the case.

I said as how I think we spent about $1500 last year for all 7 kids and I don't think we could send them to the local public school for that.

Dh disagrees.

I know it isn't in one big chunk at the start of the year, but I think public school parents are nickel and dimed all year long and if it's added up, I bet seven kids would easily reach $1500.

Well here is our school district fee breakdown... (not including the required supply list)

Elementary: Book Fee $140 + Music/Band fee $50

Middle School: Book Fee/PE Lock/Agenda Book $154 + Band/Chorus/Sports $50-$92

High School: Book Fee/Activity Fee/ID/Locker $196 + Workbook/Consumable Fees that are course dependent $10-$40 per. + Drivers Ed $200 in sophmore year + Per sports $129 + Clubs/Fine Arts $24-$106 each.

For my youngest two it cost me this year: $294

If my high schoolers were attending... I don't want to think about it...

For homeschooling... I paid about $150 for the twins books this year. And these can be reused for next child.

My kids extracurricular activities (Kung Fu, Bowling, Civil Air Patrol, Cub Scouts, music lessons) would cost us same since they would be doing these even if they were attending ps.

Edited by AnitaMcC

I've only had one experience with ps: my dd went to ps for highschool her sophomore year. It was by far less expensive than what it would have cost me to buy curriculum and perhaps add on an on-line class for writing, which I would have done. This included all supplies, school fees, class fees, etc. My dd is not really into fashion - some jeans and tops are fine - so even adding clothes in, ps was cheaper.

This is for my youngest two supply lists. Then add in lunch box, sport bottle, back pack, project supplies, etc.

For my 4th grader:

2 dozen #2 pencils

4 pens (1 red, 2 black, 1 blue)

1 pink erasers

2 highlighters (2 different colors)

1 box of 24 crayons

8 washable broad-tip classic color markers

12 colored pencils

4 dry erase markers

2 glue sticks

1 plastic supply box(no larger than 6 X 9)

2 box facial tissue

6 folders with bottom pockets – solid colors

(1 each red, blue, green, yellow, orange, purple)

4 spiral notebooks, 70-100 pages, wide ruled

1 pack filler paper, wide ruled

1 pack 3" x 5" note cards – white and lined

3 pack of post it notes (3 x 3)

1 old, clean sock

Gym shoes on PE day

Supplies "run out" during the school year.

Please check with your child periodically to see if any need replacing

For my 6th grader:

Math Social Studies

Calculator TI-30XII or TI-34 Composition Notebook (1)

Graph Paper – 1 package Transparent Scotch Tape (3)

Compass/Protractor Set Masking Tape (1)

3 ring, hardcover binder – 1.5 or 2 inch Poster Board (1)

5 tab divider set

Dry Erase Markers – LOW ODOR (1)

Ruler – 12” standard and metric units (1)

Language Arts

3 ring, hardcover binder – 1.5 or 2 inch

Flash Drive

General Supplies

Pencil pouch w/holes for binder (clear)

Glue Sticks – Jumbo (2)

Index Cards – 3x5 ruled, 100 count (2)

Highlighters – Broad 4 pack Multi Color

3 Prong Pocket Folders – different colors (6)

Spiral Notebooks – 70 ct. six different colors

Construction paper – 11x17 and 9x12 and 11x17 (1 package of each size)

Loose leaf paper (4 packages) – More will be needed throughout year as student runs low

Pencils #2 (36)

Pens – blue or black (12) –

No Gel Pens, Please

Pens – red (5)

Washable Markers – Classic Colors (1 pack) *

NO SHARPIES OR PERMANENT MARKERS

Colored Pencils – (1 pack of 12 or 24)

Scissors – 6”

Pencil Sharpener with canister

Post It Notes 3x3 Yellow (2)

Kleenex boxes (4)

Book covers, stretchy type

(Not sticky type) (6)

Multi-class Binder (i.e. Trapper Keeper) –

optional, NOT required

Locker Shelf/Organizer -

optional, NOT required

Physical Education/Health Classes

District mandated uniform which can be purchased through Eich’s Sporting Goods or J.J. Sports

Tennis shoes

Any type of additional school appropriate apparel for inclement weather

Health: Notebook (1)

Folder (1)

Encore Classes

FACS: seam ripper, pins, pincushion, and hand sewing needles

Art: sketchbook

2 Pocket Folder

If you join Choir, then you will need

Choir: 1/2” binder with slipcover, 5 divider tabs, pencil case with black/red pens and pencils

*Teachers may require additional supplies for individual classes*

Edited by AnitaMcC

My oldest is in PS so here goes

The yearly supply list was brand specific and HUGE to get every item on that list I spent almost 85 dollars it came in just under yes I shopped back to school sales it was still that much that does not include in the middle of the year teacher requests for more Did my daughter use all her stuff NOPE but then you have the kids whose parents don't buy their stuff so there I suffer on that.

Our school does not allow lockers large purses or any back packs at all they will get wrote up they can have a book bag you buy from the school 15 dollars

The first day of school every teacher wanted 2 inch white binders for their classes that was about 15 bucks as Walmart still had them on sale

PE uniforms anything else they gets points off for not dressing out 26 bucks

Book fee for her alone was almost 200 that is for the year

AHHHH school clothes I am pretty sure throughout the year we have spent well over 500

lunch everyday 3.50 add that up for a week I could have fed all 4 of mine each day lunch for that

Endless odds and ends for school projects it never ends It never ever ends That is financial let us not go into the massive aggravation that I deal with on a daily basis to make me want to burn the place down. That is joke no one quote me to the FBI on that K. I hate public school with a passion that runs deep within my soul, well privat6e too for that matter. We live in the middle of the country. Yes FL has country LOL There are no children her age for miles. She begged to go to school that is why I deal with it. Public school costs are crazy It is not free 1500 for 7 kids Well you rock!!!

I have lived in IN and now FL I have never not heard of a book fee. You could actually buy the books most of the time for how much it costs. If they are not returned and in good condition then there is another fee.

I have 4 in school in FL and there is no book fee.

I paid a book fee and they even gave me a paper to fill out to get it reduced if I were on welfare the only students that pay no fee that I know of besides that are kids in a program called SALES have no clue what that is I grew up in West Palm my mom never heard of a book fee either till they moved up here when the last little sister was in school. She was amazed. Retired moving to the country and she got smacked with a book fee for the first time after putting 4 kids through school.

Kleenex, hand sanitizer, antibiotic soap, baby wipes, crayons, markers, scissors, ruler, notebook with school logo, glue sticks, glue bottles....

Dh disagrees.

I have never had kids in public schools, so I don't know all the various fees, etc., but I have friends whose kids are in the public school system.

They spend at least $200 per child for uniforms, not counting shoes. And every school list I have ever looked at the store would be about $50 and then there are additional "workbook" fees starting at $20 and going up.

So, you would hit the $1500 mark before your children stepped foot on the school property.

Edited by mom23boys
typo

I paid a book fee and they even gave me a paper to fill out to get it reduced if I were on welfare the only students that pay no fee that I know of besides that are kids in a program called SALES have no clue what that is I grew up in West Palm my mom never heard of a book fee either till they moved up here when the last little sister was in school. She was amazed. Retired moving to the country and she got smacked with a book fee for the first time after putting 4 kids through school.

Must be based on the school district - ours doesn't have one. The middle school has a set of books for the student to use at home and another class set so they don't have to take them back and forth.

We paid a $10 locker fee and that is it.

Must be based on the school district - ours doesn't have one. The middle school has a set of books for the student to use at home and another class set so they don't have to take them back and forth.

We paid a $10 locker fee and that is it.

I better not tell my daughter that!!! She badly wants a locker so she can hang pictures of her and her friends from IN so she can still see them everyday LOL.

At the school here, you'd blow past $1500 at the third kid.

In that I'm counting all the fundraisers and the "quotas" the kids get set. They tell them they have to sell $100 (for example) of the chocolates (what a lousy unhealthy choice, but that's a different rant) per kid. Your family would have to sell $700 worth of chocolate. Guess who ends up buying most of the chocolate so the kids don't feel left out when they have the little party for everyone who sold $100 worth? The parents, of course.

There is also a strict "dress code" which is actually a uniform, but they won't call it that, lest someone get their panties in a wad. Children must wear black or dark blue pants, no jeans, and a white or blue button-down shirt, no patterns, no embellishments. Girls may wear a black or dark blue skirt, no patterns, no embellishments. All children must wear dark closed-toe shoes, no heels over 1 inch, no sneakers, but they must bring sneakers for recess and gym. They may wear a black or dark blue sweater, again no patterns or embellisments. There is no code for overcoats so the kids go a little nuts on the colours there. I fully anticipate that they will legislate an overcoat policy at some point.

I only know about the assinine dress code because when ds goes to the school for piano lessons (the teacher uses the school for this), I was handed the code and told that he is required to dress like one of the students while on the schoolgrounds. Just because I'm such an a$$, I never dress him properly. ;)

Anyway... then there are the costs of extra books. Students have to buy their own non-core subject books. That means things like the books for high school English, for example, and any workbooks they would consume. The workbooks are ridiculously expensive, IMO. My SIL paid over $150 for the workbooks for her new kindergartener. Whatever happened to writing on paper?

I have heard that some schools require a book fee to use the textbooks, or require them to buy the textbooks outright. I've checked out the costs of a few textbooks and they are very high compared to what we'd pay for a homeschooling text, IMO.

Then there is the cost of school lunch, but I think that's still optional, so perhaps you wouldn't count that. Oh, and don't forget the school supply lists, Those are totally mandatory, too, or you must suffer the wrath of the princess teacher who set that precious list. :glare:

I use Oak Meadow and some people think that's expensive, but when I factor in what it would cost for him to be going to public school grade 6, I am getting a huge bargain with OM.

I think something has changed, because this is a vastly different from when dh and I went to school (and he went to this town school). We never paid for any books or workbooks. There were no fees of any kind (excluding lunch), unless you were going on a field trip. School dress codes were primarily concerned with making sure you were modestly covered, and fundraisers were non-existant unless you were in an extracurricular activity, like band or a sport.

I think it's weird how schools have come to nickel and dime students and parents at every opportunity they get. I also think it's really $#*!!y that they do this in a town where many, many families are below the poverty line and struggling to make ends meet. I always wonder what the kids who can't afford it all do to survive in that place?

Edited by Audrey

Speaking only of our high school district I think we spent more than $1500 for one child this year. Now, most of that (just over $1000) was for marching band, which is extracurricular here, so he didn't have to participate. Those fees fluctuate between $1000 and $2000 yearly, depending on their travel schedule. But enrollment fees are not cheap either. We have text book fees but we also have to buy new all of the paperback novels they will read in lit class because they are required to keep notes in their books, making useless all of the same novels my oldest ds read two years prior. Then there's the testing fees (AP exams, ACT, SAT), required supplies, drivers ed fees, swim clothing and PE uniforms (sizes changed every year for my growing boys), and so many other little things I can't even think of them all right now.

Our school has been recognized as being one of the lowest per pupil in operating costs in our large metropolitan area (bottom ten), yet they are ranked in the top 3% in our state based on test scores. Commendable, but a bit misleading, in my estimation, since families pick up quite a bit of the costs.