Menu

What is the best program you've ever used?

motherdear

Efficient:

The Phonics Road

Phonics, spelling, reading, vocabulary, etymology, roots, suffixes, prefixes, literature, grammar, writing and all done in the best way in less time.

The book Helping Children Overcome Learning Difficulties

Helped us more than the evaluation with the therapist.

Writing With Ease

literature, comprehension, writing, narration, spelling and grammar through dictation.

I don't need both Writing With Ease and The Phonics Road, but Writing With Ease exposes us to so much literature and covers so much ground, that if someone is not using Phonics Road then I hope that they are at least using Writing With Ease...

if you have either PR and math

or

phonics, math and WWE then you are good in the early years.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Stuff I keep going back to, for over a decade, after trying other things and realizing I shouldn't have switched:

The KJV Bible as the main reading/lit book

biographies instead of fiction

Saxon math

DVDs are often more efficient than books

scientific literacy and extra math instead of high school science

hardcopy encyclopedias are a must

1st edition Machen for Greek

Henle for Latin

Chalkdust Math :001_wub: for my oldest. She doesnt really like it (but its math so what do you expect?) but she is doing SOOOOO GOOOOOOD with it. She is really understanding the math concepts now!

Life of Fred :001_wub: supplementing dd's math

Apologia Science :001_wub: ESPECIALLY the elementary books

Mystery of History :001_wub: just love it! So does dd

Survival Math :001_wub: in my opinion that is a must do curriculum for every student, whether it public school, private school, charter school or homeschool!

Science Matters is a cheap paperback that will get you started.

Also Google "scientific literacy".

Just because a student CAN do certain material, doesn't mean he SHOULD. If a student doesn't know the basic science he interacts with every day, why focus on the theories and non applicable things because they are labeled as "rigorous"? Why spend lots of money and time completing a science text when studies show that the best indicator of success in college science is good reading and math skills.

There are articles at the Robinson Curriculum site on science that are worth reading.

Guest RecumbentHeart

Subbing so I can find this later.

I'm enjoying trying out many new things that I hope will turn out to be long term favorites but so far, out of the things I do have longer experience with, MEP Reception Yr has been the best for us (and the only one that hasn't been retired to the shelf).

I have high hopes for Webster's Speller, Professor B and Living Books Curriculum but need much more time to tell. :D

I can't believe more people don't love Saxon (only 1 other person from my count). This is one of the only programs we have used since my 6th grader began homeschooling (at K). We love LHTH and letter of the week for pre-k. I am loving Rod and Staff reading and english, but we just started last year. We have also used SOTW every year.

Stuff I keep going back to, for over a decade, after trying other things and realizing I shouldn't have switched:

The KJV Bible as the main reading/lit book

biographies instead of fiction

Saxon math

DVDs are often more efficient than books

scientific literacy and extra math instead of high school science

hardcopy encyclopedias are a must

1st edition Machen for Greek

Henle for Latin

My first post was things that I have returned to over and over for more than a decade, but my favorites for this year are:

Bedell curriculum. I have learned SO much just from reading the lessons for the younger students and sometimes looking up the research topics for the older students. The author is SO nice when I e-mail him with questions! Bedell moves through the Bible in an unsteady Chronological order, while SOW moves in a steadier canonical order. Bedell kind of stalls out in Genesis for almost a year, so I interupted SOW Genesis to jump ahead to SOW Psalms to fill in with, and I have a nice mesh again.

Picture Storybooks for Adults. I am accumulating a ton of different curricula that teach every subject under the sun with picture storybooks and I just LOVE them. Picture storybooks are NOT just for little kids!