Menu

What is the best program you've ever used?

motherdear

I've rarely hear people talking about it and I think it's a gem! I wrote this review: This year, I chose to use the program, America with my nine year old son. It has proved to be (in my opinion) among the most wonderful unit study programs out there. The program utilizes Peter Marshall and David Manuel’s The Light and the Glory trilogy. It's kind of funny that I always contemplated developing my own unit study using these books (there are so good!), only to find America quite by accident!. This unit study/book combination is a hidden treasure.

Author Chris Rowe has supplemented the program with other "living" history books. Since the program is broken up into two levels (grades 3-4 and grades 5-6), some of the additional books are different for the different levels. In the lower level we are using books such as: The Mayflower Secret, Pedro's Journal, The Courage of Sarah Noble, and The Matchlock Gun, The Cabin Faced West, among others. The upper a level uses several of the same books minus a few plus a few. The daily guide is very user-friendly and there is VERY little preparation work for the parent. For the most part, you can pick up the book and go. All of the hands-on activities are very doable with things found around the house. We have been "notebooking" much of the written and art activities and are developing quite an impressive notebook. The Bible study/applications are very practical and thought provoking. Science is integrated in a biweekly form and even English is included in it! We are truly enjoying it! For those of you interested in checking out the scope and sequence and looking into this program, you can google Christian novel studies: America: an integrated approach. (I don't think I can post actual links here)

BTW-there is a Year #2 which follows this study (up to present-day America, I believe), however you'll have to check the web site for details.

Hands down, Tapestry of Grace. It has changed our lives!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Wow, way to make me salivate and make me think we've been missing out all these years, hehe! We probably have. I thought about buying it when I was expecting ds (and several times prior to that), and someone advised me not to. Worst decision I've made in years and the last time I listen to anybody on curriculum. You have to go deep in your gut and take a chance, not be persuaded by board advice. I might give it, but I'm done taking it. There's also a fine line between giving someone options or perspective vs. telling them what will or will not work in their situation. Oh well.

My only reconciliation in my soul is that we probably weren't ready for it. We've had a messed up 12 months, with lots of distractions and things. Now I KNOW we're ready, on lots of levels, and can be fine. So hopefully it turns out to be for us all it is for you! If it's not, it was my choice, my responsibility. :)

Thank you for sharing your resources motherdear!

Our familly combines CM and WTM philosophies.

Here is what we have liked best so far...

Pre-K: Little Saints Preschool Curriculum www.emmanuelbooks.com and Letter of the Week www.letteroftheweek.com

Math: Horizons Math www.aop.com, Lyrical Math (Please visit www.emmanuelbooks.com for a description of lyrical math.)

Science: The Magic School Bus book/dvd/science kits www.scholastic.com/magicschoolbus, Sonlight Science Cores K-1 www.sonlight.com, Let's Read and Find Out Science book series

Handwriting: Penny Gardner's Italics Beautiful Handwriting for Children www.pennygardner.com Handwriting Without Tears www.rainbowresource.com

Early Reading: How to Teach Your Baby to Read by Glenn Doman www.gentlerevolution.com

Language Arts: Color Phonics www.aop.com Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading by Jessie Wise, Plaid Phonics www.rainbowresource.com Ambleside Online language arts www.amblesideonline.org

Resource Children's Literature: Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt www.amazon.com

History: Beautiful Feet,"A Child's History of the World" by V.M. Hillyer www.calvertschool.org and SOTW by SWB

Geography: Galloping the Globe and Cantering the Country www.geomatters.com

Art: How to Teach Art to Children by Evan-Moor www.evan-moor.com

Music: Check Verita's Press www.veritaspress.com and Emmaunel Books www.emmanuelbooks.com online site for music resources.

Edited by kalphs

I've only been homeschooling for about a month, but I already have some favorites.

I really like Life of Fred. My son is doing well with it and, most of all, enjoys it.

As far as the best resource for myself that I have found is The First Whole Book of Diagrams. I teach my own lessons out of it using MCT as a guide and we are doing quite well.

Honestly, we are cruising right along with most of our programs. I like SOTW, too, along with the Usborne book.

I love MEP and Singapore Math.

A couple months ago, I started using Dr. Wright's Kitchen Table Math Bk. 2 to help me teach Math better to my 3rd graders, and I love it! I wish I had used Dr. Wright's books from since their pre-school years.

Oak Meadow K - I wish I would have used it with all my children instead of just the youngest and I hope I will be able to speak so highly of higher levels in the future.

MCT Island - This program has really brought out a love for creative writing in my oldest ds. Again, I hope to love the higher levels, but we're not there yet.

McRuffy Color Math - It took me some searching to find a program that would work for us and that's why I appreciate this program so much. If this had been the first thing we had ever tried I probably wouldn't think it was anything special and that any other math program might suit us just as well. Because I know that so many programs don't suit us and we had to suffer for so long with something we didn't like while I was on the hunt for what we really needed, I am happy and relieved that Color Math exists.

Sonlight!

Everything we have right now is working, and I would recommend more or less depending on the product (we like MUS too, DD says Steve Demme is a genius), but Sonlight is me. I love to read so it makes my heart sing :).

We're doing Core K right now, amd I was just playing with my 1+2 binder this morning :D!

Rightstart B! I can't comment on any of the other levels, and if you would've asked me how I liked RS a year ago, I would've said we didn't, lol. Somewhere along the way, though, dd actually started liking the games (well, most of them anyway, not all of them) and looking forward to math. Add that to the fact that she's doing so well in math and I can't help but love it now. It just WORKS and it's interesting. :)

This is our first year using Bob Jones Math but I love it and plan to use it with four of my children next year.

Sonlight K. Loved it! It was one of our best years.

MFW Adventures. It was perfect, not too much or little. I didn't feel overwhelmed with too much to read and I loved the schedule;)

Phonics Road. I had levels 1-3 and The Bridge. Absolutely the best grammar program I have seen. Although I am going a different route I loved teaching and using it for almost two years.

Saxon Phonics. The schedule is great, my little guy is reading and I have already purchased Saxon Phonics 2 for next year.

Well the biggest surprise to me was Mrs. Stewart's Piano - it really makes sense to me. The biggest success was SWR. But I like all the curriculum I'm using. Oh - Holling C Holling books. We have read Paddle to the Sea, and are now reading Seabird and Pagoo.

For us it is definitely Michael Clay Thompson's grammar series and the Mosdos literature programme. Both dd and I love these - they are the only things we really love to do. Lively Latin, despite some "teething problems" in the development of the programme has also been a great choice for us.

Nikki

Sonlight - It's what ties us all together and brings joy to our homeschool. If I didn't have this program, I don't know if I'd still be homeschooling.

Rightstart Math - The early years are wonderful and I'm so glad I used it as an introduction to math for both of my kids. I'm even thinking of doing the Geometry level with my daughter when she gets to that point.

Galloping the Globe - So much fun and so many good memories came from this program.

MFW K - I have absolutely precious memories of my daughter from the time we did this.

Lisa

Heart of Dakota and Math Mammoth! Best things ever for us!

Ditto! These are my two favorites right now...although I also love Singapore, but my DD needs lots of review that MM offers.

I really wish we'd used HOD from the beginning. It makes HSing so easy for me and I can still add extras or make substitutions if needed.

I also need to add ETC and McGuffy Readers to the list!

Edited by Holly