Menu

Happy Birthday Mr. President.

This would have been President Reagan's 100th birthday.

"He was a man,take him for all in all, I shall not look upon his like again." -Hamlet Act 1 Scene 2

Happy Birthday Mr. President

-I, for one, miss you.

-I, for one, miss you.

:iagree:

Fav Reagan quotes:

“There are no easy answers' but there are simple answers. We must have the courage to do what we know is morally right.â€

“There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect.â€

"All great change in America begins at the dinner table."--Ronald Reagan

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. "--Ronald Reagan

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Happy Birthday! I miss you too.

"All great change in America begins at the dinner table."--Ronald Reagan

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. "--Ronald Reagan

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Happy Birthday! I miss you too.

These quotes are making me miss him more.

What a great man he was.

"He was a man,take him for all in all, I shall not look upon his like again." -Hamlet Act 1 Scene 2

-I, for one, miss you.

I'm really too young to remember Reagan in much detail. But I have one near brush with him that meant a lot.

It got long, so I've moved it to my blog.

I hope that I can retain the idealism in the face of brutal realities that Reagan seemed to possess.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

I'm really too young to remember Reagan in much detail. But I have one near brush with him that meant a lot.

It got long, so I've moved it to my blog.

I hope that I can retain the idealism in the face of brutal realities that Reagan seemed to possess.

I loved reading your story! Thanks for sharing. :)

1980 was the first year I ever voted in a Presidential election, and my candidate won. Over the years my political path as veered some from his, but I still remember him as a man of integrity and I have the greatest respect for his memory. Although today I might disagree with him on some points, I still remember him as my favorite president to watch and listen to. He was such a likable man. His death was so sad; it hurt me to watch him slowly lose his mental abilities. I do believe he was a great American and he deeply loved his country.

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."

- Ronald Reagan

In addition, I always loved his wit, his turn of phrase...whether you agreed with him or not, you had to at least appreciate that.

This is my favorite. :lol:

Also: "I will not make age and issue in this campaign. I am not going to exploit, for political purposes, my opponent's youth and inexperience."

What a great sense of timing he had.

I was in high school/college while he was president and I love it that the first election I was old enough to vote in was for him.

I miss him. Thanks for the reminder, pqr.

I remember when my (Democrat) parents took me to the center of our small town to wave at him on the back of the train as it went by. :crying: He was President through my childhood and early teens. Even my parents, though they might have disagreed with him, told me that he was going to keep us safe.

(They had no idea the seed they were planting, I guess. ;))

Edited by angela in ohio

Thank you, everyone, for posting those wonderful quotations. They brought back memories... I was a young kid when he was president, but my grandpa made sure I understood what a great man he was. Now, my youngest daughter is named Reagan for a reason. I tell her nearly everyday she could be president.

Remember this one?

“One way to make sure crime doesn't pay would be to let the government run it.â€

Sadly, one quotation that has come to mind often is his comment that he didn't leave the Democrat party; the Democrat party left him.

My mil was very involved in politics in her state. My fil was an appointed state official who had insight into the highest levels of the state's government from both the state legislature and the governor's administration.

I was very saddened by the petty selfishness that they witnessed by people that you would have expected better of. It taught me that there is little behavior or policy that is so low that it is beneath contemplation by someone is a position of responsibility and authority.

I used to consider myself a party voter, but now do not. Because I feel that the party I used to be aligned with (even to the point of being a delegate at a state party convention) is filled with people who are more interested in securing their positions of power than with fulfilling the more worthy aims of limited government.

He was one of my least favorite presidents, and I'm old enough to have not voted for him, twice.

However, it was his politics I disagreed with. I had nothing against him as a person. And no one should have to spend their last years like he did. It was just so incredibly sad.

Edited by floridamom

Sadly, one quotation that has come to mind often is his comment that he didn't leave the Democrat party; the Democrat party left him.

My mil was very involved in politics in her state. My fil was an appointed state official who had insight into the highest levels of the state's government from both the state legislature and the governor's administration.

I was very saddened by the petty selfishness that they witnessed by people that you would have expected better of. It taught me that there is little behavior or policy that is so low that it is beneath contemplation by someone is a position of responsibility and authority.

I used to consider myself a party voter, but now do not. Because I feel that the party I used to be aligned with (even to the point of being a delegate at a state party convention) is filled with people who are more interested in securing their positions of power than with fulfilling the more worthy aims of limited government.

This reminds me of another of his quotes

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

I am no longer a party voter. I was - when he was with us. He meant a lot to me - personally - though I never met the man. Because he helped end the immediate nuclear war threat I - anxiety/OCD riddled child that I was - was able to actually sleep through a night.

If I had a daughter I would have named her Reagan.

Edited by pdalley

In 1984, he had a rally in San Diego. I was part of SDSU's marching band and it was absolutely thrilling to be part of that rally. He came out of the Embarcadero and turned and waved at us. Some of us quit playing "Hail to the Chief" and waved back excitedly. I have snapshots of him waving. I truly wish I could have met him face to face.

I have this on my facebook profile under favorite quotations:

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan

40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

My dad had alzheimers at the same time as Reagan. The grace and dignity of the Reagan family during that time was a source of inspiration and encouragement to my mom.

President Ronald Reagan's Letter to

America Announcing he had Alzheimer's Disease

November 5, 1994

My Fellow Americans,

I have recently been told that I am one of the millions of Americans who will be afflicted with Alzheimer's disease.

Upon learning this news, Nancy and I had to decide whether as private citizens we would keep this a private matter or whether we would make this news known in a public way.

In the past Nancy suffered from breast cancer and I had my cancer surgeries. We found through our open disclosures we were able to raise public awareness. We were happy that as a result many more people underwent testing.

They were treated in early stages and able to return to normal, healthy lives.

So now, we feel it is important to share it with you. In opening our hearts, we hope this might promote greater awareness of this condition. Perhaps it will encourage a clearer understanding of the individuals and families who are affected by it.

At the moment I feel just fine. I intend to live the remainder of the years God gives me on this earth doing the things I have always done. I will continue to share life's journey with my beloved Nancy and my family. I plan to enjoy the great outdoors and stay in touch with my friends and supporters.

Unfortunately, as Alzheimer's Disease progresses, the family often bears a heavy burden. I only wish there was some way I could spare Nancy from this painful experience. When the time comes I am confident that with your help she will face it with faith and courage.

In closing let me thank you, the American people for giving me the great honor of allowing me to serve as your President. When the Lord calls me home, whenever that may be, I will leave with the greatest love for this country of ours and eternal optimism for its future.

I now begin the journey that will lead me into the sunset of my life. I know that for America there will always be a bright dawn ahead.

Thank you, my friends. May God always bless you.

Sincerely, Ronald Reagan.