Menu

Put that in Writing ???

Janice mentioned this program in another thread. You can find it here. Has anyone used level 1 and would like to share their experience.

It's formatted with a weekly layout and you can find good samples at the website, their philosophy is well laid out in the "to the teacher" section of the level 1 sample.

...like we all needed another writing program to look at, but I like the straightforward nature of the samples I read.

Janice mentioned this program in another thread. You can find it here. Has anyone used level 1 and would like to share their experience.

It's formatted with a weekly layout and you can find good samples at the website, their philosophy is well laid out in the "to the teacher" section of the level 1 sample.

...like we all needed another writing program to look at, but I like the straightforward nature of the samples I read.

I have used PTIW with several of my kids. Parts of the book are great; parts are pretty worthless. ;)

One of the best aspects of the program is it includes samples of students' writing that they are to evaluate using a grading rubric. For some kids, marking papers via a rubric that they don't have any emotional attachment to helps them be able to step back and accept the same process as evaluative and not critical in terms of their own writing.

Her actual writing instruction is solid. BUT........the writing assignments are :tongue_smilie: and there are a lot of lessons that offer no value b/c all the focus on is a :tongue_smilie: assignment.

So, if you are a tweaker and are willing to skip large portions of the book and create your own writing assignments incorporating the nuggets that are interspersed, you may really like it. If you are someone that wants or needs something you open and use verbatim, I wouldn't recommend it.

So, if you are a tweaker and are willing to skip large portions of the book and create your own writing assignments incorporating the nuggets that are interspersed, you may really like it. If you are someone that wants or needs something you open and use verbatim, I wouldn't recommend it.

Thank you. I am a tweaker by nature. However, with a tight budget, I don't mind modifying a cheap download. When I'm paying over 50.00 I expect to be able to use it as written.

I know, I know it's about the investment into the their education, but I already own a stack of writing books that I can tweak, many of them freshman college level books I bought at Goodwill for .39. *sigh* now if they were just here instead of in storage a state away...:toetap05: Hopefully this month we'll be able to get our stuff and I can tweak what I already own.

PTIW - I mentioned it because the gal was talking about writing for their co-op. The program isn't one of my favorites for self-education. It's just laid out well for a co-op.

(Don't want to derail anyone. Lots to digest about writing around here lately, huh?)

I ended up looking through the books and learning a few tricks, but didn't like the program enough to use it as written with any of my kids. (We used a TON of stuff before I finally figured out what I was/am doing. :001_smile:)

Folks who love the program should chime in; their reviews would probably be more helpful. The program didn't work for me personally, but I did find myself thinking, "A good writing teacher could probably put all of this structure to good use in a co-op. A lot of the organization of the whole thing is all here."

The program itself didn't help me learn how to teach writing. So if you're coming from the place of wanting to become a better writing teacher, I would start elsewhere.

Just to clarify the "recommendation." :001_smile:

Peace,

Janice

1TOGO beat me to the question!! I'm trying to collect things that will help me be a better writing teacher so I can do it in the context of DC's writing. I don't want something w/ writing assignments. I want DC to write in history, science and literature. I would also like samples as 8FilltheHearat mentioned is in PTiW.

Books I'm previewing from the library:

Webster's New World Student WRiting Handbook

The New Oxford Guide to Writing

Simon & Schuster Handbook for Writers 6th edition (Bought 7th edition for a few bucks at Amazon)

Books I own:

Warriner's Composition and Grammar (I use it mostly for grammar and diagramming).

Evaluating Writing

I just came back from Half Price Books and found a little book from Junior Skill Builders called Writing in 15 Minutes a Day.

Catchy title, eh?

Anyway, I looked through it quite a while before buying. It is actually a very succinct book with no-nonsense explanations and brief exercises.

It addresses everything from letters to essay writing.

It makes much more sense than Writing Strands, not so complicated as IEW, and more schoolish than SWB's method...BUT, I like it. It is very orderly; covering simple types of writing first and progressing to more complex types.

The problem I have with so many of the writing programs out there is they don't progress in a way that is orderly TO ME...the assignments often seem random. This little book is set up by chapter and says exactly what the lesson is going to be about, what will be covered. Sometimes I feel like I'm left guessing what the point of a writing lesson is about in other programs...

Even if ds doesn't actually use the book, it is a great tool for me.

ETA: geez...I completely forgot to mention...I had PTIW at one time...like 8Fills, I found the writing assignments to be less than useable.

Edited by Robin in DFW

Here is a "replay" of our experiences with PTIW1 from the thread: Put That In Writing? = http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216673&highlight=PTIW

"Tried to use PTIW 1 with average writing son (then 8th grade). We were both so frustrated with the very dull and uncreative examples of "good writing"; the unnecessarily elevated tone of the teaching information; and the repetitive grammar exercises; and the extremely slow pace of the first 12 lessons, that it we dropped PTIW after persevering through the first 7 lessons.

Because it was so darn expensive we made ourselves use it the following year -- BUT with major modifications:

- skipped 11 of the first 12 lessons

- skipped all the repetitive grammar exercises

- replaced PTIW's boring writing assignment ideas with our own (often coming up with ideas from the literature or history)

Basically, we just read the 2-3 pages of teaching text/information on a particular type of writing from PTIW -- and then practiced it on our own with assignments of our own making. I will say that the information on the variety of writing types is good, and PTIW does cover a few types of paragraphs not covered by other writing programs. It's just that having to so drastically change the program and to omit large portions made PTIW extremely expensive for what boiled down to 2-3 pages of information on each of about 10-12 different types of paragraphs!

No way we've been able to use PTIW with struggling writer younger DS.

Just need to reiterate that this is not the case with PTIW with everyone -- a number of people on this board have had success with it and found it to be just the thing for their students. Do look at the sample pages to get a feel if this program would work for you or not, and consider trying to buy it used.

BEST of luck in finding what works well for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D."

I have found loads of help from other ladies on this board when it comes to writing, so I've included lots of past threads with helpful info. Great idea to compile everyone's resources! Cheers! Lori D.

Writing resources we have found helpful:

- idea: breaking up writing into several short (10-20 min.) chunks throughout the day

- idea: practice timed essays from past SAT prompts (Online Math Learning website, near bottom of page, has links to many past SAT essay prompts)

- fantastic tip on how to help high school students flesh out the "why the example works" in literary essays from past thread: Wow! I Think I Fixed My Son's Writing

- tips and program recommendations for students who are behind in or struggle with writing from past thread: Writing For a Child Far Behind AND Help with DC's writing attitude

- ideas from Stack the Deck people: a booklet on How to Take an Essay Test (only about $3!)

- Writing Wizard; FREE info on how to write a five-paragraph essay

- OWL at Purdue (FREE resource of articles, info, assignments, etc.)

- quick tips/programs for writing SAT essays from past thread: Essay Writing! Please Help!

Programs and what we have specifically found helpful in them

- Wordsmith Apprentice (gr. 4-6; wonderful, gentle intro to writing for "phobic" writers)

- IEW (gr. 3+; keyword outline idea; spreading writing process out over several days)

- Scholastic 4-book writing set (Descriptive; Narrative; Persuasive; Expository) (gr. 5-8; scattered throughout each are great instructional tidbits and lots of creative assignment ideas)

- Jump In (gr. 6-8; helps students figure out what to write, and how to order their thinking/writing)

- Window to the World (gr. 8-12; GREAT chapter on specifics of how to write a literary analysis essay)

- some ideas from Stack the Deck: Fan the Deck (gr. 11-12 program; covers a variety of types of writing; especially helpful is the section defining what different terms mean and what they are looking for in the way of a written answer)

Also, check out these past threads on writing programs:

What Writing Programs have you loved/hated?

Come Clean: How Many Writing Programs Have You Tried/Sold, and What Are You Actually USING Now?

Thank you, Lori. I appreciate you sharing.

I had tried a search on the board but it came up with so many hits. Note to self and others: If you write a homeschooling curriculum use a title that does not contain so many common words, it's easier to find in a search that way.

ETA: thanks for listing all the resources! I shall spend some time researching those.