Menu

Can someone talk to me about Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day?

I baked all of our bread for about two years, and then when my life fell apart last year, I quit baking. Not that I'm feeling better, I really want to start baking again. I keep hearing about this book so I requested it from the library, but I am way down on the hold list so it might be a while before I get it. Can anyone just give me a quick run down? What will I need to get started in the way of supplies? Is it REALLY as easy as everyone makes it sound???

Thanks! :D <----Me when I bake. It makes me happy.

I'm NOT a bread baker and I heard so much about this book so got all inspired and bought it and... I'm still not a bread baker. I tried it several times and it just didn't work. None of my loaves came out right - they were edible, but not good enough to be worth the effort by any means. I'm sure it works for some people, but it didn't work for me.

I've had good luck with that book; I've used seven or eight of their recipes so far and haven't run into a dud yet.

It doesn't call for any special equipment. A bucket to hold the dough is handy, but I used a big bowl for months until I finally got around to buying a dough bucket. And while a baking stone is great, the underside of a cast-iron skillet works just fine, too.

It's basically this: mix yeast and salt, add a few cups of water, then stir in several cups of flour (with just a regular wooden spoon; you don't have to knead). Let it rise for a few hours, then put it in the fridge and use a chunk as needed.

So I think it's terrific. But, as farrarwilliams points out, it works differently for everybody. Good luck!

OK, so it is really super easy. Mix up in a bowl or with a stand mixer:

6 1/2 cups flour (I use about 1/2 whole wheat and white),

1 1/2 T salt,

1 1/2 T yeast,

3 c. room temp water.

No kneading, just get it mixed thoroughly. Let it sit covered on the counter for about 2 hours. Put it in the fridge for 12 hours or up to a couple of days. Take it out (this is where I differ from their method) I split it into two big chunks. Form each chunk into a round by pulling and tucking the ends under until it is fairly smooth on top. Use flour for this, but no kneading. Then I put it on a big floured napkin, or towel and cover it. Let it sit for a while - 1 to 2 hours. This is not exact. While you preheat the oven to 475. If you have a big cast iron or enameled pot with lid, put this in the oven to preheat as well. When the dough is done sitting, kind of puffy feeling, open the pot, turn the dough over into the pot (upside down, so the seams are showing on top now) put the lid back on and bake for 30 min. Take the lid off and bake for 20-30 min more. Till its really good and brown.

This looks like a lot of instructions, but truly it takes about 10 min of hands on time total. And the bread is great every time!

If you don't have the pot to use, use a pizza stone, but you have to let the dough rise on a cookie sheet or something to slide it into the oven when it is done rising and slash it on the top. I really like the pot method best, it is easier and more foolproof for me.

hope this helps

OH and I have two pots, so I do both loaves at once (I also have 5 kids, so it gets eaten quickly) if this is different for you, put half the dough back in the fridge before you form it and bake it later.

Jen

There is a recipe for enriched bread, it has sugar and butter in it. I've used the recipe as written for awhile and now use some King Arthur white whole wheat, some pastry flour, and some white flour and it's really yummy. I've also reduced the butter. It slices well and my DH and toddler love it.

We were used to store bought sliced bread and, for us, this a workable and tasty replacement.

The Healthy Bread in 5 is good, it uses more whole wheat, exotic flours and grains, and has some gluten free recipes. I like it, but the main is my go too.

I can't afford all the different flours and grains right now though. The breads look amazing in the second book!

Artisan Bread book authors Hertzberg and Francois had an article in Mother Earth News (here) which will get you started.

Then there was a follow up article (here) with whole grain five minute bread recipes from a second book by the same authors. These two articles will give you an idea on their methods.

Good luck!

Jane

No knead uses time instead of kneading to build the elasticity.

To OP -- if breadmaking makes you happy, this might not be for you. I mean, I LOVE kneading the bread. For me it's the best part (aside from eating it, of course :D). It's therapeutic and relaxing and after all, only takes 5 minutes.

I have had really good luck with the "sponge" method of breadmaking. Kinda a cross twix no knead and traditional. You can google it, but basically you make the "sponge" using yeast, sugar, water, and about 2/3 of your flour, so that it is super wet. Let it sit on the counter overnight or at least 4 hrs (covered). This develops a much deeper flavor and texture. In the morning it will be this big heaving bubbling mass. :D You stir it down, work in the rest of the flour (and salt, flaxmeal, etc if you use it) and proceed as normal. Some recipes add a little fresh yeast at this point, but not necessary. Depending on the flour you used overnight (rye or whole wheat is great) will change the flavor. A little rye makes kinda like a mild sour dough.

When you bake, put a pan with a couple inches of water in while it preheats (don't bother removing until oven cools) and the steam during the first phase will give you a super crunchy crust with a soft inside. Mmmm.

No knead uses time instead of kneading to build the elasticity.

To OP -- if breadmaking makes you happy, this might not be for you. I mean, I LOVE kneading the bread. For me it's the best part (aside from eating it, of course :D). It's therapeutic and relaxing and after all, only takes 5 minutes.

I have had really good luck with the "sponge" method of breadmaking. Kinda a cross twix no knead and traditional. You can google it, but basically you make the "sponge" using yeast, sugar, water, and about 2/3 of your flour, so that it is super wet. Let it sit on the counter overnight or at least 4 hrs (covered). This develops a much deeper flavor and texture. In the morning it will be this big heaving bubbling mass. :D You stir it down, work in the rest of the flour (and salt, flaxmeal, etc if you use it) and proceed as normal. Some recipes add a little fresh yeast at this point, but not necessary. Depending on the flour you used overnight (rye or whole wheat is great) will change the flavor. A little rye makes kinda like a mild sour dough.

When you bake, put a pan with a couple inches of water in while it preheats (don't bother removing until oven cools) and the steam during the first phase will give you a super crunchy crust with a soft inside. Mmmm.

I totally agree with the bolded above. I love love love kneading bread. It's so peaceful. Thank you! Maybe I will just stick with the old fashioned way. :)

Since I have been working part-time again, I have baked only according to the Artisan recipe. It is so much easier to have the dough in the fridge than to start from scratch. Once you have the dough sitting in the fridge, you can grab a ball, form it, let it rise and bake it in about an hour.

When I used my bread machine, it took a lot longer than that and even other recipes w/o bread machine took more time because the dough had to rise, get punched down and rise again.

I really like the first book and use it quite a bit -- I love the flavor of slow-risen bread. I was so enthused to get the 'healthy' book from the library but was very disappointed by the recipes themselves -- they rely a lot on vital wheat gluten and I think it makes the bread taste off.

Along similar lines, I am getting a lot of mileage out of my copy of Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day. The recipes are considerably more precise and a bit more work than Artisan Breads in 5 Minutes a Day, but the end results are consistently excellent. He uses less yeast, which improves the flavor of the bread, IMO.

I'm NOT a bread baker and I heard so much about this book so got all inspired and bought it and... I'm still not a bread baker. I tried it several times and it just didn't work. None of my loaves came out right - they were edible, but not good enough to be worth the effort by any means. I'm sure it works for some people, but it didn't work for me.

:iagree: