Menu

Question for Apologia Notebook users...

Hedgehogs4

I have been looking at the Apologia notebooking journals to go along with the books. There looks to be several pages in there that won't get used. Are the pages perforated to tear out and use in your own notebook, or do you just leave them blank and skip to the pages that you are going to use.

Is it worth the money for the notebooks?

The pages are just spiral bound but I just leave them blank. I personally love the notebook journals. I feel that they complete the science study. My kiddos have particarly benifitted from the mini-books that they create each lesson (This is referring to the Anatomy book).

After 2 years of using lapbooks, we switched to the notebooks this year. We are on the last lesson of Anatomy. Overall, my dd and my niece likes it. We didn't do any of the crossword puzzles, though. We all HATE them, so I just skipped them. I also skipped one or two of the booklets because they were pretty much restating what we already had written in the notebooking section. My favorite part has been not cutting out a million little booklets! LOL! I think they are well worth the money just in the time it saves. The girls like how neat they are and keep everything in its place. We will be starting Zoology 2 after this and I am really looking forward to using that notebook as well.

We either leave them blank or glue our own page with our experiments on top of it. I'll cut a piece of construction paper and glue it down and she'll add her notebook page on top or our chart or pics of our experiment/etc. to it. I haven't been able to tear one out yet as it always happens that we need the other side :) Blank pages bother me though so covering it up works well for us :)

I didn't care for the spiral bound notebooks at all. The pages are nice, but I don't like that they are double sided and not perforated. We used them for Botany and I ended up pulling out the pages I wanted to use and then using a paper trimmer to cut off the messy edges (they are not perforated). Then I added in my own extra notebooking pages, pictures of our experiments, etc. and put them all in 3 ring binders with page protectors. The whole thing just looks hodge-podge messy to me, but at least it's done. I much prefer the free pages and/or making my own. There were some very nice pages and I would be happy to pay for a download and just print the pages I wanted, but the author has stated that they don't intend to offer that option (I'm sure they have perfectly good reasons but I don't know what those reasons are).

For Apologia Astronomy, we absolutely loved the Narration Newsletters from Notebooking2Learn (available here). I had also purchased the spiral notebooking journals but I sold them before using them).

For Zoology, we used the lapbooking sets from Knowledge Box Central (printed on cardstock and glued to cardstock pages that are 3 hole punched and placed in notebooks). I didn't really love these either but I wanted *something* to reinforce the lessons. (My son would be perfectly happy to just do the reading and experiments!).

We haven't done the Anatomy Elementary book so can't comment on that notebook but I thought it sounded neat and different from the rest.

RanchGirl ~ THANK YOU so much for linking Notebooking2Learn, I only wish I had known about it before we started Astonomy. Thankfully we are still early enough into the book that we can take full advantage of the pages. :)

You're very welcome, it's an awesome resource and I am glad to see others enjoying it too!!

Thank you for the replies...I think I will start with the botany one this spring. I always have trouble staying on track with science, and so I think this would help.

We are using Botany this year and it is great! Dd loves it, as it reinforces what she's been learning. She also loves drawing illustrations of the plants in her wb. Everything is all handy in one spot too. Well worth the money in mho.

Blessings,

Lucinda