Menu

I need soup recipes I can freeze

Hi everyone,

I'm just about finished eating up my frozen stash of lentil soup and need to make more this weekend. I freeze it in single servings and then take one to work with me for lunch.

I'd like a good chicken tortilla recipe, please, and am wondering if you think creamy soups such as cheeseburger or broccoli cheddar will freeze and thaw well?

What do you think? And if you've got a great chicken tortilla recipe I'd love to have it!

astrid

Hi everyone,

I'm just about finished eating up my frozen stash of lentil soup and need to make more this weekend. I freeze it in single servings and then take one to work with me for lunch.

I'd like a good chicken tortilla recipe, please, and am wondering if you think creamy soups such as cheeseburger or broccoli cheddar will freeze and thaw well?

What do you think? And if you've got a great chicken tortilla recipe I'd love to have it!

astrid

Here's a link with a few recipes to try.

http://www.kitchenlink.com/rcpmenus.html

Another link

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/how-to-make-super-soups-00400000001600/

Edited by CalicoKat

Just yesterday I made a wonderful creamy cauliflower soup.

2 16oz pkgs of frozen cauliflower

2 c diced celery (I love celery, so YMMV)

6c low sodium chicken broth

2 tsp minced garlic.

I brought it to a boil and allowed it to simmer about 40 minutes. Then I dunked in my immersion blender to thicken it up, but I still left it somewhat chunky. Then I melted in 6 oz of 2% velveeta, but you could skip that and use cream cheese. It just makes it creamy and richer. Then just adjust the salt to your taste.

I keep this on hand because the pot makes 7 servings of about 1 1/2c each and that's only 2 pts on WW. But if it's my whole meal I will add diced chicken to it too. YUM! Freezes great.

I also make a Taco Soup that freezes beautifully.

1lb ground turkey or beef

1 can black beans

1 can pinto or kidney beans (both drained and rinsed)

1 28oz can diced tomatoes w/liq

2 cans diced green chiles

1 can corn w/liq

used the 28oz can to add about 28oz water

1 pk taco seasoning

1 pk dry ranch dressing mix

Brown turkey or beef and drain if necessary. Then dump in all the cans and seasonings. Simmer for 30 minutes to blend flavors. This is very hearty and filling. Makes 8 2c servings for me and those are 6pts each if anyone is interested in that. I keep this on hand in the freezer all year round.

Hoppin' John Soup

1 tbs olive oil

1 onion, chopped

1/2 lb kielbasa, chopped

2 cans black-eyed peas, drained

1 can navy beans, drained

1 C brown rice, cooked

2 cans chicken broth

1 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp cayenne, optional (i've never used it)

1/2 tsp thyme

salt and pepper to taste

heat oil, saute onion, add the rest and heat. you can mash the beans a little if you want it thicker.

this is a very forgiving soup, you can do just about anything to it. today i didn't drain all the beans and used more rice than normal. you can use any kind of packaged sausage as well. oh, and crumble cornbread in it- yum!!

it is wonderful and i know it freezes well.