Menu

Experience with panic attacks in kids?

I think my 7 year old might have experienced a panic attack yesterday, and an earlier one a couple of weeks ago. I've checked the online symptom list for panic attacks, and that seemed like a very clear positive.

He is PDD-NOS on ADHD meds that work very well, BUT I haven't had the money to refill the meds so he's been off for a couple of weeks, just before the first possible panic attack happened. I had one more pill and was saving it for an emergency kind of day. He asked for it yesterday, because he's been in lots of trouble at school since being unmedicated. Like, the entire day was a panic attack. Now, since being awake, he's been quietly lying around the house and is sleeping again in his room.

Should I take him in, ask to get an opinion on his heart pounding (to him) and his nausea? Scrape coins to get more meds?

can you get the cheap prescription from Wal-Mart for his meds? I don't remember how much they cost, but it's really inexpensive. it's not good for ANYone to suddenly stop any medication without a doctor's approval/oversight- that can cause all sorts of withdrawal symptoms and I'd think anxiety attacks or similar symptoms would/could be included.

we'll probably be on a daily med at some point, but right now, at 9.5, we're on Xanax, as needed. It comes in a generic, and we paid 5 or 10 bucks for it. Now that you bring it up, I realize that I need to get a few more for vacation. UGH

we also have a formal diag of ppd-nos, but I say it's asperger's. (Dr. said there wasn't a social component, like she could tell how she relates with other kids in a 5-10 minute one on one interview!) In addition, we also have Anticipatory Anxiety.

I wish I could, but it's a controlled substance and can only be refilled with another doctor's visit. We go every three months for 3 months worth of meds. I'm on hold now with the doctor's office to try to get in today.

eta: going to the doctor's office

we'll probably be on a daily med at some point, but right now, at 9.5, we're on Xanax, as needed. It comes in a generic, and we paid 5 or 10 bucks for it. Now that you bring it up, I realize that I need to get a few more for vacation. UGH

we also have a formal diag of ppd-nos, but I say it's asperger's. (Dr. said there wasn't a social component, like she could tell how she relates with other kids in a 5-10 minute one on one interview!) In addition, we also have Anticipatory Anxiety.

They've asked me to bring him in, because at this point he seems very depressive to them.

They've asked me to bring him in, because at this point he seems very depressive to them.

Please see what is up. I'm glad you have help.

I grew up (non-medicated) with severe Anxiety/Aspergers/OCD and we were without any doctor's insight. It was horrible. Each year, the anxiety and panic attacks grew worse and the OCD cycled into bigger obsessions to try to control the internal anxiety. Not good.

The only thing I can suggest is to keep your child on a consistent dose? Walmart sells most SSRIs for cheap and some like my Luvox (generic - with a drug discount from Sams Club) is $16 a month. But the Luvox CR is $198.

Is this an SSRI? Or Ritalin? If you stop the SSRI abruptly, you can trigger another crisis or withdrawal symptoms (i.e. depression). My son is also Aspie/mild anxiety/mild OCD and I completely understand all of this. Hang in there. :grouphug:

Edited by tex-mex

I wish I could, but it's a controlled substance and can only be refilled with another doctor's visit. We go every three months for 3 months worth of meds. I'm on hold now with the doctor's office to try to get in today.

eta: going to the doctor's office

What your doc is doing is checking blood liver panels to make sure the drug is not harming the liver. Pretty standard protocol for all SSRIs. I have to do the same with our docs for son and I.

We're back. They did blood work and an EKG. His heart turned out okay, but the blood pointed to a virus he is currently fighting. Since he just finished a nasty flu a few weeks ago, I didn't think he could be sick again. As far as the panic attack, the doctor said to make an appointment on Monday with his regular psychiatrist, because kids can/do get anxiety.

They have group classes for autistic kids at the psych building, so I'm going to go ahead and sign him up for those. I'll get him back on his meds next week. By the end of the md trip, he was feeling better and is now spending some time with his dad. I gave my ex a little cash to take the kid out and spend some quality time.

Thank you for the good advice and experience. :) Wow, Saturday sure went fast...