Menu

Bittman fans: Did you see his proposed Food Manifesto?

Echos of Michael Pollan, but certainly worth reading (here--NY Times which may require a subscription).

His ideas include:

End government subsidies to processed food. We grow more corn for livestock and cars than for humans, and it’s subsidized by more than $3 billion annually; most of it is processed beyond recognition. The story is similar for other crops, including soy: 98 percent of soybean meal becomes livestock feed, while most soybean oil is used in processed foods. Meanwhile, the marketers of the junk food made from these crops receive tax write-offs for the costs of promoting their wares. Total agricultural subsidies in 2009 were around $16 billion, which would pay for a great many of the ideas that follow.

Further,

Break up the U.S. Department of Agriculture and empower the Food and Drug Administration. Currently, the U.S.D.A. counts among its missions both expanding markets for agricultural products (like corn and soy!) and providing nutrition education. These goals are at odds with each other; you can’t sell garbage while telling people not to eat it, and we need an agency devoted to encouraging sane eating.

An idea that resonates with me:

We should provide food education for children (a new form of home ec, anyone?), cooking classes for anyone who wants them and even cooking assistance for those unable to cook for themselves.

Some of the comments to the column are interesting as well. Often mentioned by posters is the idea that Americans lead such busy lives they do not have enough time to cook. Food for thought?

It was an interesting article. He states a lot of things that I have spent time thinking about.

I have always thought that it was strange that the gov't subsidizes the foods that are used in highly processed unhealthy foods. I wish things would change and that instead the gov't would subsidize real food like fruits and vegetables.

No wonder all the highly processed foods are so cheap and the healthy fruits and vegetables are so expensive.

While I abhor more governemental regulations on ANYTHING..I love the idea of switching subsidies to growing non-food food to more sustainable food. Thus, ending the idea of ethanol and feeding our livestock GMO product, to encouraging farmers to be growing real food again.

This will be heard because the trickle down effect will be HUGE. But if it were approached in a gradual manner to begin the conversion, I think it's a brilliant idea.

Subsidizing at home cooks? nope. That begins to put the government in my home telling me what to cook, and I'm not okay with that. Granted, I might not take that initiative, but it's a slippery slope.

I love the idea of redoing the food pyramid and food guidelines for schools though! After watching Jamie Oliver's food revolution and seeing that the government guidelines calls french fries a vegetable (and not a starch that's way unhealthy), it's ridiculous how out of whack the guidelines for the schools are, and how it's more economical to provide crap for our children than real food.

Those are gut thoughts...I haven't had time to ruminate over the whole article, but they are the two things that really stuck out to me.

While I abhor more governemental regulations on ANYTHING..I love the idea of switching subsidies to growing non-food food to more sustainable food. Thus, ending the idea of ethanol and feeding our livestock GMO product, to encouraging farmers to be growing real food again.

I agree!

Subsidizing at home cooks? nope. That begins to put the government in my home telling me what to cook, and I'm not okay with that.

I agree again!

I love the idea of redoing the food pyramid and food guidelines for schools though! After watching Jamie Oliver's food revolution and seeing that the government guidelines calls french fries a vegetable (and not a starch that's way unhealthy), it's ridiculous how out of whack the guidelines for the schools are, and how it's more economical to provide crap for our children than real food.

I agree!

There are so many people in this country that don't understand the way foods affect their bodies, both healthy and junk food. There are so many people that just do not know how to cook anymore. Everything comes out of a bag, box or can. I would love to see some kind of education for people on nutrition and cooking.

I so agree with Mark Bittman. He loves food and wants everyone to be able to eat and enjoy real food. I also like his cookbooks.

I really dislike that the more you know about these issues the more upsetting it is. Sometimes I want to bury my head.

I have a relative who's family income is probably about 5x mine. We were talking about food and I said we buy mainly organic. She said she would never buy organic and I asked why. I was because it is usually more expensive than regular food. But she grew up in a time when most of the food used to all be organic. It has changed, but a lot of people haven't realized it.

I don't understand this "New York/New Delhi-accented package" He is not Indian. New York City Jewish I believe.

I've opened this to read post-nap. I will have to forward it to both DH and my mom.

Regarding corn/soy beans, DH and I were out driving last summer. On one side of the road was corn, and the other was soy beans. All I could think of was, "food food everywhere and not a drop to eat."

Didn't Michael Pollan have a hard number of what we're actually paying when we buy subsidized food? My books are in a box in NY at the moment. I could have sworn he had what the true cost of cafo beef vs small farmer grass fed beef was, and the latter came out cheaper when factoring what we pay for subsidies.