Menu

There's a mouse in my house...

and he wasn't invited.

THEY weren't invited. I think they're having a party.

My line was crossed. We happily co existed until I went to stir my coffee and there was a ... yuck on my spoon.

I set out the traps with a wee bit of peanut butter and they lick it off! With teeny presents left behind.:glare:

I've tried peanut butter and sunflower seeds and nada.

Meanwhile, I slightly touch the things and I get my finger just about whapped off.

So. How do I hunt these little suckers down?

We had one elusive mouse for a while. I knew about him but my line was crossed when I saw him scurry across the kitchen floor during a middle of the night feeding with my newborn.

We tried all the snap type traps with no luck. Finally got the critter on a glue trap. Not alot of fun to find the live mouse stuck to the glue trap during a late night feeding with a newborn :)

and he wasn't invited.

THEY weren't invited. I think they're having a party.

My line was crossed. We happily co existed until I went to stir my coffee and there was a ... yuck on my spoon.

I set out the traps with a wee bit of peanut butter and they lick it off! With teeny presents left behind.:glare:

I've tried peanut butter and sunflower seeds and nada.

Meanwhile, I slightly touch the things and I get my finger just about whapped off.

So. How do I hunt these little suckers down?

Try a different kind of trap. We had lots of success with the Have-a-Heart traps that tip forward as they move in for the cheese at the end. We used to let them go at the end of our road where there were no houses. Now we use the killing kind. I got more callous.

I hate poison in traps. If you put poison... they go out... and a cat gets them.. they die and excruciating death. :( Very sad. I say.. invite a cat to your house for a few days..... no more mouse :) I think even the smell of cats scare mice :)

They make a poison that only kills mice, and kills them within minutes, so they dont go anywhere or hurt anything else.

I have always used the snap traps and had pretty good luck with them. It used to make me feel bad but they are so nasty and get into everything and leave their excrement everywhere. I have even cornered one and smacked him dead with a plastic container....sounds cruel but taking a chance of letting them poop in my food, not knowing it, and serving it sounds even more cruel. The cute little things multiply out of control and destroy the cleanliness of your home. This is the time of the year when we always have trouble. I feel your pain. I know what it is like to be invaded:eek:

We were invaded early last fall. We tried traps, ect. All I can say is that dead mice stink so if you get a trap you have to check it a couple times a day. We finally got a kitten. She caught four of them her first week and it was messy, but the mice disappeared and we haven't seen one since.

We had an uninvited family a couple years ago. After trying every sort of "humane" trap with no success. We went for the glue traps. Hubby checked them every morning. We got most of them, but there was this one mouse that was just too darn smart. He always seemed to avoid the traps. We were forced to call in a professional. He set out the anticoagulant bait traps. The would eat the tasty poison, then go outside. They would die out there. Then he came back two weeks later and plugged up all the holes he could find where they were coming in.

If they do die indoors, they decompose so quickly that the smell dissipates fast.

The old fashioned traps have worked best for me. The new kind have the spring board that looks like a plastic chunk of cheese (as if a mouse has any use for a plastic piece of cheese). I have not had success with the new ones. I take a tiny piece of bread and make a peanut butter ball and wedge it in the little metal piece that activates the trap.

I have also had some luck with the sticky traps.

Good luck.

Big problem in our new (to us) house! It was awful. We used every kind of trapy.... glue, snap, poison, the kind the shock them to death... others too.

Finally, we got two of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sharper-Ultrasonic-Rodent-Deterrent-SI310TNM/dp/B000A3I9QY

And have never had a mouse since. They put out a sound that the mice do not like. Of course humans don't hear it! Best 100 dollars I ever spent!

:glare:I have a cat. :glare: He has *no* interest in catching mice.

OK, I'm going to go look at better traps and poison.

Get another cat! Twice we have had moles get in the house, and each time the cat was on that thing before it barely crossed the threshold. I don't think I'd be able to sleep at night without an aggressive cat in the house. :001_smile:

My dad used to swear by putting crunchy peanut butter in the traps. We lived next to a field, and we had several mice each year at harvest. Crunchy peanut butter always did it!

We used a humane trap and dropped the mice off in bushland. Sometimes we used cheese, sometimes (and this was most effective) simply put the trap against a wall we had seen them run against. Once we found the hole they were coming out of we simply left the trap against it. Once mice stopped coming through it we sealed it up (we were never sure if a mouse had got in and made a nest, or if the hole connected to the outside somehow, and we didn't want trapped mice dying and stinking up the laundry!).

I think we tapped 11 before the problem resolved. I also found a baby one at the foot of a mattress my dh slept on one night when I had a sick little one in bed with me. And one leapt out of the dishwasher at me.

I DO NOT think mice are rather nice ;-)

When I lived in a little house in the country, the only solution was to get a KITTEN. Don't bother with a full grown cat, most adult cats that aren't already mousers won't suddenly become mousers because mice are in the house. But a kitten in a house with mice will pounce and kill, and there you have it -- a mouser. :D