Menu

MM question about regrouping?

I am trying to decide which book to purchase for rememdial work for my fourth grader. He is just stumped with the concept of regrouping. I thought I would purchase this specific topic using MM. Is 2b the correct workbook for his grade? It shows the book being second grade level. I'm not concerned with grade level as much as topic. I need to make sure the problems will be challenging enough to help him understand the concept.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

i am not using what you are using but I just want to say practice makes it perfect. Lots of manipulatives also a good visual help at first.

If you are asking if extra practice would work, I would say YES :)

anything you can find that helps him do it more and more.

I dont have a 4th grader but i can tell you what worked for our regrouping here. The best way he dealed with regrouping is to make it 3 different ways

way 1 - he makes regrouping in a line using /\ under the number he wants to split. Then he gets the answer.

way 2 - is that he counts the same problem in a column to see that the answer is still the same :) he gets so thrilled when the answers are the same lol

way 3 - he draws a pic just like Singapore 1B would show like 28 would be 2 in a bag (as 10) and then 8 lose. Then he draws whatever is left like 6 for example. So he drows a circle to make 10 out of lose ones. He counts all the 10s at the first then he adds the lose ones :)

way 4 actually - SOMETIMES we use sticks of 10 and lose cubes of 1 to show it also.

We are doing all 3 methods for the same problem each time. He sees it that answer is the same no metter what :)

Yes, I'm just specifically looking for additional worksheets for the remediation process. He is fine until he has to deal with large numbers in the thousands and numbers that have 0's. So, that tells me that he really isn't understanding the process.

We use MUS and have a limited amount of worksheets. So, I was hoping a quick, fresh approach might be a good idea. Plus, I was hoping to aquire some new worksheets. :) I know I could make them but I have four kids!:tongue_smilie:

thanks!

I've never used MUS, so I know it uses some sort of blocks, but I'm not sure how integral they are. Have you explained it with manipulatives of some other sort? Perhaps the blocks just aren't clicking for him. Could you show him with an abacus, base ten blocks, or coins? It seems to me that if he's not understanding it, it's more of a conceptual problem and more worksheets might not really help him understand what is happening, although they will probably help him memorize the algorithm eventually. My DD's only 6 and in 1st, so I'm not claiming to be an expert or anything, lol. I just know that whenever she doesn't understand something, it's because she doesn't get what the numbers are really DOING, rather than that she needs to practice writing more problems, you know? We had to stop for a couple weeks to get the concept of regrouping.