Menu

Art History cards?

cholderby

We've been doing just fine with internet printouts on paper so far this school year but they are getting kind of ragged after several months. I would like to find a set of cards of famous paintings to discuss and then I could leave the new work out on a tabletop or something for the kids to look at through the week.

I can't find a pack online that covers a wide range of paintings; there are Impressionist packs, packs that focus on certain colors, etc.

Anyone ever heard of something like that?

I think the Dover books would cost less than the cost of ink to print high quality photos.

You could also look at a book such as A Year in Art. http://www.amazon.com/Year-Art-Painting-Day/dp/379133624X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296916519&sr=8-1

High quality painting on one side and calendar page/pertinent info on the other side.

There are several companion volumes on Amazon as well.

That is apx 365 high quality reproductions from a variety of time periods.

You could easily take apart the books and put pages in page protectors or laminate them for stiffness or just leave in the book. Do note that some pages show a detail of the larger painting with the larger painting shown smaller on the reverse.

Another place to look would be the internet gift shops of major art museums in the US.

These have been mentioned here a few times: Art Cards.

I have not looked at these in person or researched them to see if they are worth the money. I just added them to my amazon wish list when they were linked one day. :001_smile: HTH!

I do like the idea of using the book, A Year in Art. That may go on my wish list, too. :lol:

These have been mentioned here a few times: Art Cards.

I have not looked at these in person or researched them to see if they are worth the money. I just added them to my amazon wish list when they were linked one day. :001_smile: HTH!

I do like the idea of using the book, A Year in Art. That may go on my wish list, too. :lol:

Now that card set looks interesting-I've never seen it before. Thanks!

I have the Masterpiece Art Cards. I think they would be what you're looking for, covering the 250 most cited works in Art History textbooks. They aren't inexpensive, but they are of a good quality and size and have information for mom on the back :) They're on quality cardstock and the prints are nice. There are few nudes, several pictures of Christ (which we won't use), and some contemporary art that I just don't get.

Another thing we've been using this year is the Art Page-A-Day calendar from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We've been enjoying seeing a new piece of art (some famous, most not so much) every day. Some are paintings, some are photos of textiles, some are metalwork (think suits of armor), some are musical instruments with beautiful craftsmanship. This is the first page a day calendar that I've been excited to change every day.

We've been doing just fine with internet printouts on paper so far this school year but they are getting kind of ragged after several months. I would like to find a set of cards of famous paintings to discuss and then I could leave the new work out on a tabletop or something for the kids to look at through the week.

I can't find a pack online that covers a wide range of paintings; there are Impressionist packs, packs that focus on certain colors, etc.

I also bought the Metropolitan Museum of Art 2011 Art Page-A-Day Gallery Calendars. Every day has its own artwork (Sat/Sun have one combined).

The art works are about 5 - 1/2 inches wide.

I bought it at 1/2 off at the beginning of Jan from Barnes & Noble.

Birdcage Press has several packs of art cards. I believe they are inexpensive enough to get a few packs and add some variety. If I remember correctly, they are more by time period. We have 3 of the packs and I grab one artist's works to study over several weeks. Each artist has 4-8 works of art included. There are just the cards with the booklet of short bios or the cards with the large book with more info included. I think the cards/booklet is perfect. My oldest does enjoy the books for free reading though. They can also play card games with the cards. The site shows some newly released card packs as well and some games. It all looks fun!

I have the [

Another thing we've been using this year is the Art Page-A-Day calendar from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We've been enjoying seeing a new piece of art (some famous, most not so much) every day. Some are paintings, some are photos of textiles, some are metalwork (think suits of armor), some are musical instruments with beautiful craftsmanship. This is the first page a day calendar that I've been excited to change every day.

I just bought this calendar today for 75% off at Barnes&Noble.....it's really nice!

What about:

- using plastic sleeves for printous

- printing out various pieces at about 4x6 or 5x7 and laminating? I bought a laminator for about $15 and LOVE it. So fun!

- ordering art postcards. I've done this for either specific artists or time periods/genres. They are inexpensive and thick. Then you could also laminate if you wanted to. But probably not necessary.

We stocked up on the Page-a-day calendar, and even got them from the past few years. The price for used ones can skyrocket, they must be in demand.

We also have a subscription to this and enjoy it:

Masterpiece: The World's Greatest Paintings

http://offers.imponline.com/masterpiece/

Angela, you really find the neatest resources! :hurray:

Can you tell me more about this? I checked out the website and am very interested. :)

Lynn, I signed up to three Imp Online subscriptions last fall. I was very leery at first, so I started with one, the Art Masterpieces. After I started receiving the artwork, and everything was just as they described, I also got Ancient Civilizations (CD/pamphlets) and The Classic Composers (CDs).

For Masterpieces, I received 16 high quality, 10x13 reproductions, and now I get 4 more every 3 weeks or so. You can cancel at anytime, or even stop your subscription for a few months, which I did over the holidays when we weren't home.

I haven't watched the Ancient Civ or listened to the Classic Composers CDs yet, but I was just thinking yesterday to check them out, so I'll do that soon.

To make free (except for printing), I went to places like Artchive.org and that CM Yahoo group to get prints, then printed them out, and put them in those sheet protectors in a big binder. I could laminate them, but it seemed too much work compared to the sheet protectors, as long as I printed out large prints.