Menu

BJU Distance Learning

Disney Dreaming

Has anyone tried this? Do you like it? I am thinking about using this next year for dd(7). How long does each subject take? In comparing DL vs a few subject DVD's, it looks as if it is much cheaper to use DL for all subjects($350 for each subject books & DVD's vs $899 for every subject w/hard drive). Any info you can give me would be wonderful!

My boys are using it. We LOVE it!

DS7 (second grade) takes about (4) hours to complete (7) lessons. That includes the videos, the worktext pages, and any additional activity that may go along with the lesson.

DS6 (first grade) takes about (3) hours to complete (6) lessons.

If you'd like see my review, along with some screen shots of what the portals look like, I blogged about it here: http://arkofcovington.com/wp/?p=771

Correct. You get the TM in pdf format. What they did was scan each page of the TM and added it to the portals. The TM is broken down by chapter too, so it's not just one huge TM pdf.

However, you can order those (TMs) for an additional $100 (unless the price has gone up) from BJU. What I chose to do was to try the program as it was, then if I found I needed the TMs in print form, I would order them later. Turns out, I only look at the TMs every now and then to clarify something for preparation, or to teach a lesson myself. So it wasn't worth the additional cost for me.

One thing BJU DLO did last year was allow people to purchase the grade kits, put a down payment on the kit, and spread the rest of the cost out over (6) months. I only mention that because I know how pricey this program is, and if anyone is having second thoughts because of the price, this option makes it a little easier to swallow, kwim? :)

I should also mention that they are considering putting their TMs and Text Books into eBook format for Kindle/Nook users too. They just did a whole survey about it among current BJU customers. If they decide to do that, it would make them even better, IMO. :)

Edited by Hockey Mom

Looking at the price comparisons, it appears that as long as you are wanting to use at least 3 subjects from BJU, you are better off to get the whole grade kit instead of ordering by individual subjects. So, even if you don't use every single subject from BJU, it can still often be a good deal to get the full subject kit.

Brenda

We're using the online version for math this year for my 1st grade twins boy's and DD in 2nd. They really like it and are learning a lot. I'm very happy with the program. The lessons are interesting and the kid's enjoy the theme that goes along with it.

We're using it for math only this year because I really didn't want them doing any more video lessons. They enjoy just reading good books for history and science etc...:) I will add in English online for my DD next year in 3rd grade.

ETA: Their math lesson takes almost 30 mins to watch and then they do the worktext afterwards. I would say we spend an hour on math each day. That includes the video, 2 pages of worktext, flashcard practice and a math fact sheet for speed drill. I also have some whiteboard triangle boards they write fact families on. We do put a lot into math each day. More than any other subject by far.

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys