Menu

Classical Music for the younger set? Need suggestions...

PentecostalMom

teaching this age group requires various activities per class (as I have no doubt you know!), so perhaps a read-aloud followed by a physical activity that might coordinate with the read aloud (marching to a Mozart march or dancing to a Mozart minuet, acting out the various instruments, clapping rhythms, etc)

For the Pre-K and K crowd, these are great read-alouds

Play, Mozart, Play!

The Maestro Plays

Zin! Zin! Zin!

http://www.classicsforkids.com/ is a great resource (including some lesson plans)

Good luck!

I just got Can You Hear It from the library and am going to buy it. The lessons will be easy to add an art project to and could even easily become the basis of unit studies.

For example the first lesson is "The Flight of the Bumblebee". I'm going to google "draw bee" and look through my drawing instruction books. I'm going to devote a week to practicing drawing bees and flowers while listening to this piece of music, and will probably spend a little time studying bees. I'll bet netflix has a documentary.

Lesson 3 is "An American in Paris" and includes a painting of a street full of cars. What a great way to introduce a car drawing lesson. The music even includes car horns. A geography unit on Paris would be fun.

You will see that every lesson is perfect for a unit study. 6 for Christmas. 8 for Halloween.

I REALLY like this kit! There is a lot of bang for your buck, especially if you flesh it out a bit with online and library resources.

We have done Story of the Orchestra, Carnival of Animals, Peter and the Wolf and some Classics for Kids as well. Classics for Kids was a bit over their head now, although they listened fairly well. They LOVED Peter and the Wolf(and watched a Netflix movie as well and I found some free recordings we listened to) Carnival of Animals is great- they enjoyed marching around acting out the animals.

Here are some ideas...

Books: "Meet the Orchestra" by Ann Hayes or "Zin Zin a Violin" by Marjorie Priceman

Audio: Classical Music for Children: A Toddler's Introduction to Classical Music"

Book with Audio: "Carnival of the Animals" by Camile Saint-Saens, Author: Barrie C. Turner Illustrator: Sue Williams

Edited by kalphs