Menu

Anyone want to read the St. Johns reading list with me?

Guest Lane

So, I was classically educated K-12, but then got a liberal arts degree from a "normal" college. I always wish I had gone to a great books school like St. Johns or Thomas Aquinas. I've made a resolution to get through the St. Johns book list over the next 7 years. Anyone want to join me for discussion/accountability/fun?

http://www.stjohnscollege.edu/academic/readlist.shtml

Let me know!!

So, I was classically educated K-12, but then got a liberal arts degree from a "normal" college. I always wish I had gone to a great books school like St. Johns or Thomas Aquinas. I've made a resolution to get through the St. Johns book list over the next 7 years. Anyone want to join me for discussion/accountability/fun?

http://www.stjohnscollege.edu/academic/readlist.shtml

Let me know!!

Good for you Lane!

I would love to join you, but with home educating and preparing for literary class/enrichment classes I am short on time.

Hi Lane, I am trying to put together a self education programme......although I am not sure I can commit to 7 years!

I was planning on getting Well educated mind out of the library, so I could put together a programme. I have just started "How to Read a Book" (Adler and van Doren) and was going to start with the Epic of Gilgamesh. This list is new to me and looks interesting!

Were you planning to read the books in the given order, or jump around a bit?

And why this list not the Well Educated Mind one? Or are they the same?

I only decided I was going to set myself a Great Books course this weekend, so I have not done much research yet, but I have signed up for a maths course via the NZ correspondence school.

I am afraid I spent most of my High School years truanting, but now at almost 50 years of age i have decided to put things right!

Willow.

Hi Lane, I am trying to put together a self education programme......although I am not sure I can commit to 7 years!

I am afraid I spent most of my High School years truanting, but now at almost 50 years of age i have decided to put things right!

Willow.

Good for you Willow! :hurray:

• 2 weeks later...

Willow: WTM is great great great! The reason you don't see any material from the St. Johns list is that the St. Johns list is a college level education program. I think any and all of the books listed in WTM make a wonderful foundation for any reading list, though.

good luck!!