Menu

Pneumonia- how long to recover?

SO i got pneumonia last Sunday, diagnosed and started anti-biotics on Monday. I am hardly able to do anything, I am so tired. Every afternoon, I take a long nap and then I sleep all night. Currently my upper chest hurts so much from coughing and it just takes a lot of effort to get up and move to another sitting place. At least I am no longer feverish and I know I am getting better but how long can I expect to be so tired?

SO i got pneumonia last Sunday, diagnosed and started anti-biotics on Monday. I am hardly able to do anything, I am so tired. Every afternoon, I take a long nap and then I sleep all night. Currently my upper chest hurts so much from coughing and it just takes a lot of effort to get up and move to another sitting place. At least I am no longer feverish and I know I am getting better but how long can I expect to be so tired?

6 weeks. You might feel better in 2 but still need sleep and tire easily. I know many a demoralized person comes limping back in at three weeks asking "when". I'm told over and over again it is about 6 weeks.

When my father had pneumonia he was unhappy the doc didn't tell him 6 weeks, and made me swear I would always tell people: 6 weeks.

I'm just keeping my promise. :001_smile:

I had severe pneumonia near the end of L's pregnancy (which also resulted in L's premature delivery...) 3 months later the coughing was mostly gone, and 6 months later I was able to do normal stuff without getting winded. It was the better part of a year before I felt totally normal again. Hope you are better much faster than that. :grouphug:

When I had it as an otherwise very healthy child, I was out of school for 4 weeks. THEN, Christmas break. So that was a little more than 5 weeks -- I returned to school the week AFTER New Years - maybe the 8th -- that's 6 weeks.

For two months, when I arrived home from school, I was sent to bed. Weekends, I was allowed on the couch in the family room, but I was not allowed to go anywhere or do anything. No activities - no piano lessons, nothing. Dinner on a tray. I was excused from alot of homework, but actually I kept up because at that point, I was SO bored. I loved to read, but by then, I was even tired of doing that.

Finally, when the weather began to improve, the pediatrician (she was VERY OLD WORLD) weaned me to three days a week rest, and so on.

So - I would have to say I spent the better part of 2-3 months getting my strength back.

When my dd who is now 32 had pneumonia when she was 12, we actually did the same protocol -- prescribed by our pediatrician.

I had pneumonia when I was in my late 30s and I rushed back to doing everything and I got pneumonia two times again in the next 12 months.

Listen to your body and rest.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

You've gotten some wonderful (and accurate) replies... from a medical standpoint most people are out of commission 4-6 weeks.

Be gentle with yourself. If you are short of breath or spike another fever immediately call your family doctor and go back in for reevaluation. Sleep when your body needs to sleep and then rest when you're awake. Patients who push themselves too hard to feel better and don't take the time to recover are the ones that are ill for 6+ months....

You'll be healthy and ready to take on the world by spring. :D

It took me two months and three different antibiotics.

Call the doc and ask for something strong!!! If they had just done that the first round with me, I would have gotten better a lot faster.

Even with the right antibiotics, the other two times I've had it, it took a month to fully recover.