Menu

Getting a good educations?

brewer13399

Do you think a child can get a good education from computer curriculum like SOS and doing that pretty exclusive?

The reason for this thought is my oldest son (8yrs old) is very independent and he does AWESOME working by himself and he prefers it and I keep thinking he might do better on his own with out having to wait on me with the other kids who are all younger.

What about Alpha Omega SOS and the Lifepacs are they good programs by themselves?

I don't know these particular programs, but my gut reaction is no, an eight-year-old cannot get a full education just on computer curriculum. He may like it, but that doesn't mean it's stretching and challenging him (or even helping him experience the joy of learning). I really believe interaction with a warm, live, present human is essential for education, especially for an elementary-level child. I would personally only use computer for reinforcement of skills, bonus/fun time, and maybe for one subject that would be difficult for me to teach at home, like a language or other special study.

Jessica

Do you think a child can get a good education from computer curriculum like SOS and doing that pretty exclusive?

The reason for this thought is my oldest son (8yrs old) is very independent and he does AWESOME working by himself and he prefers it and I keep thinking he might do better on his own with out having to wait on me with the other kids who are all younger.

What about Alpha Omega SOS and the Lifepacs are they good programs by themselves?

I think it could be an efficient way to cover the basics, leaving more time and energy for exploring his true passions. You can always assign extra independent reading, continue read alouds, do science experiments, and so on to beef things up.

It's not like kids stop learning as soon as "school time" is over. Lots of time, the best learning doesn't happen until the school books are closed.

We used SOS last year with our then 5th grader. We pulled him out of PS mid year and I really needed a complete curriculum.

I absolutely LOVED the program. However, DS did not like that it was completely computer based. I ended up spending a lot of time and money printing out all the lessons.

But I am very impressed with the program. It just was not a good fit for us. And this year for both kids we have taken more of an electric approach. Playing to their strengths while helping their weaknesses.

No. I genuinely don't. ... I think they can fill in here and there in a pinch, but on their own? No. I've been very unimpressed by what I've seen in real life of home schoolers who have done those programs long term (very nice people, not unintelligent kids -- just not what I would consider "well-educated" or able to think clearly and logically). I believe children *need* interaction with mentors (which can mean a vast number of things), they need the chance to discuss their ideas and have their ideas challenged...

What I see from kids who do LifePacs or SOS or ACE etc is short-term memory stuff, but little or no deep-thinking and minimal long-term recall.