Menu

<Raising hand> What do I need to know about buying a cell phone off eBay?

I have always just gotten a new phone from our provider when I've needed one, but I don't want to commit to a two-year service plan right now. So if I want to buy one off eBay, what do I need to look for? I know to search for my carrier (T-Mobile), right? And that the phone should be "unlocked," right? I wouldn't mind a touch-screen (will miss my roller ball, but can't go back to manual scrolling with push buttons), but do I have to have an Internet package to use them? (If I buy such a phone from Tmobile, I do -- but I don't know if this is across the board, or just with phones they sell; I know I don't want Internet on my phone). Thanks for your help.

Edited by milovaný

The main thing I would look for is carrier. Unlocked is only if you want to use say... a Verizon phone on an ATT network. Phones are proprietary and people unlock them to use with different carriers.

Obviously look at feedback. The feedback should tell you if the phone will work or not. Bad feedback phone may not work. Good feed back phone will probably work.

Make sure that the charger and battery come with the phone.

Check return policy of the seller in case the phone is defective or you can't use it.

If it says not guaranteed to work or as-is no warranty or some such thing I wouldn't get it. That's just me though :)

If you don't want to pay for a data package, make sure it isn't a 'smart' phone.

On Verizon (I am guessing others are the same), if you have a smart phone, you have to have a data package even if you don't plan to use the internet. There are some older smart phones that work on phone lines, but be careful what you buy because most newer ones don't work on the phone lines. I would call to make sure your carrier will allow you to just have a phone line service and not a data package on the particular phone before you buy it.

Unless you want data.....then never mind :tongue_smilie:

Thank you. You mentioned feedback -- at eBay? (For the seller?). Or are you meaning find a place to read feedback about the phone itself?

Sorry :) Yes the seller feedback!

If you don't want to pay for a data package, make sure it isn't a 'smart' phone.

On Verizon (I am guessing others are the same), if you have a smart phone, you have to have a data package even if you don't plan to use the internet. There are some older smart phones that work on phone lines, but be careful what you buy because most newer ones don't work on the phone lines. I would call to make sure your carrier will allow you to just have a phone line service and not a data package on the particular phone before you buy it.

Unless you want data.....then never mind :tongue_smilie:

This too, I forgot about the data packege... I mean who doesn't want that!? ;)