Menu

If you suspected you were reacting to a laundry detergent, which would you use?

We have always used Tide. I really like Tide. For the past 1.5 years I have had a random, fist sized rash show up. It comes and goes and only affects one spot of skin. Once it flares, it can take a month to go away. It may stay away a week or a few months, there is no foreseeable cause. The doctor and I were talking and he said it could be the detergent I use.

Okay, I get that you can have reactions off and on, but I am not convinced that this is the issue. But I am more than willing to try. The problem is, I will have to switch for maybe 6mths or more to see if it will flare up in that time or not.

He said to avoid any cleaners that have enzymes in it.

What is the most hypoallergenic product you have found, that still cleans, and has no enzymes?

Is All Free and Clear enzyme free? Is that still the go to product like it was when ds was little?

My DH is sensitive to soaps and we always used Tide Free. But it is so expensive! A hostess of mine told me about homemade laundry soap. I tried it and have been doing it for the last year and a half. LOVE it. It is so cheap to make, and easy.

This site has the recipe that I use:

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

I think a 2 gallon bucket lasts me about 1.5 to 2 months depending on how much laundry I have to do. I find the Bar Soap (Fels Naptha) at our local Ace Hardware store. Some grocery stores and Walmarts have been known to carry it, but it's not every one. Borax is usually in any of the stores (look on the top shelf or the very bottom for those "weird" ingredients. ;) This website carries the Fels Naptha and Washing Soda at a good price.

http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/category_s/15.htm

And I have an HE washer, and it works great in it. With store-bought, I had to leave the door open and be sure to remove the wet clothes very soon after completed, otherwise everything STUNK. Not with the homemade stuff. I do not have that sour-smell problem, even if I forget a load for more than 1 day! But when I had to switch back to Tide for a few loads, the machine started stinking again.

Good luck! Oh- and there are YouTube videos of people making it too...to see how easy it is. Try it at least once!

I do okay with Method Free and Clear (they have a scented version). I always use a double rinse, as well. I want to try homemade but I haven't gotten around to hunting the ingredients down.

While you're at it, you might want to consider your body soap/wash and shampoo as possible culprits. I react to the sodium lauryl sulfate, I think. I can't use regular soaps/washes. I have to use glycerin or lye-based soaps. Shampoo is usually ok but will cause my scalp to itch after a while. I recently found out that toothpaste has sodium lauryl sulfate and have switched to a brand that doesn't because it was causing the inside of the my cheeks and gums to be red and inflamed.

Tide is awful! I can smell it on other people's clothes and have to move away because it is too strong and makes me feel sick sometimes. Sometimes I can't get the smell (and residue) of it out of hand-me-downs and thrift store purchases and have to re-donate. I wish the stuff could be banned forever.

My son is very sensitive and handles All Free and Clear well per his allergist. Tide Free may be without enzymes but I'd switch brands as well given it could be the Tide itself. In fact, I'd say it's very possible (this study looks interesting on that subject/that enzymes might not be the issue at all)

A lot of people are sensitive to balsam of peru or related things in lotions and soaps...could be something outside of your detergent. I'm sensitive to it and really have to watch what I use. My eczema only shows up in certain places (my hands if I use soaps with it and a spot on my back). I'm fine at home as I only have products without. When we visit and I forget my "stuff" I flare up.

Edited by sbgrace

DH breaks out with most powder detergents and many liquids. Liquid tide has never been a problem for anyone here, but if it was I'd switch to the hypoallergenic/free and clear Tide. I plan on buying that for the baby diapers--currently we've been using coldwater Tide but no matter how good the detergent, I'm using hot water for diapers!

First strip the excess detergent out of your clothes. Run a wash with vinegar instead of detergent...in as hot of water as the fabric can tolerate. (For fun, open the door in mid-cycle and watch for bubbles.:lol:)

Charlie's Soap is my favorite when I have the $ for it. Less is more, whatever brand you use.

Right now, I'm using a store brand F&C. It's OK. Not my fave at washing, but it hasn't caused a rash yet.

I really like Country Save, which I order from Amazon. I first bought it for cloth diapering because it was highly recommended on several websites, but I now am hooked on it for all our clothes. I have had laundry detergent problems for most of my life, but this stuff is great.

All Free & Clear here. Both DH and DD are sensitive and I can tell if something gets washed at MIL's - she uses something else. Don't know if it contains enzymes.

I also double rinse the laundry, especially in winter when DD's eczema is worse and she reacts to every. little. thing.

I have a kid who reacts to almost all detergents and fabric sheets - even the generic 'free' brands. Target's free fabric sheets required an emergency room visit. I had to rewash all clothes 2x to get the fabric softener out of the clothes. We use Tide free and clear or Ecos lavender detergent. I only use Bounce free fabric sheets. I also use 1/4 of the amount recommended.

Once you find what works, do not switch!

DH is severly allergic to detergents, perfumes and whatever else that is put on the body. One of the kids and I are allergic to dyes in detergents.

For now we are using All Clear for the detergent.

Just two weeks ago dh became severly allergic to fabric softner. Almost had to call 911 on him since he was getting asphicated (Sp?)....throat closing up and couldn't breath. Stepped outside after stripping the clothes off he started getting better.

So now we are using Purex Sensitive Skin (hypoallergic). So far so good!!

I am very interested in making the homemade version but very very leary about it.

We have HE front loader washer. So I haven't made the homemade detergent due to that. Is it really safe for the washer?? Why is it safe for allergies??

I really need to be sold on this before trying it. Really do not want to have to rush hubby to the hospital.

Holly

I had to rewash all clothes 2x to get the fabric softener out of the clothes. Once you find what works, do not switch!

We had to the same thing to hubby's clothes. We also had to wash everybody's clothes 2x. He could smell the softener on our clothes then he gets asphicated. Not a good thing at all.

My dd is very sensitive to detergents and the one I've found that is currently working is Purex Naturals, the lily scented one and I only use 1/2 of what they recommend. Our clothes still get clean, but in all honesty you don't need nearly as much detergent as the companies say, they are after all looking to sell more product.

Same thing happen about ten years ago, when I was visiting my mom. We both used Tide, mom, had a habit of using more liquid soap and fabric soften than required. I developed red lumps from my ankles to my knees. Really strange and weird reaction, plus scary looking. Now we use "All Free Clear," baking soda for stubborn stains, and sometimes a splash of vinegar.

The really hard thing for me was giving up bleach. But, after talking to our doctor; he a functional doctor and I believe what he says, I had to step away from my bleach. To be honest, I use it every now and then. His theory was that our bodies were reacting to a combination of things or overload. The tide being the "straw that broke the camel's back!"

My daughter went to visit my mom a few summers ago, and she suffered the same problem all over again. This is after seven-years of changing products.

~~always~~

First strip the excess detergent out of your clothes. Run a wash with vinegar instead of detergent...in as hot of water as the fabric can tolerate. (For fun, open the door in mid-cycle and watch for bubbles.:lol:)

Charlie's Soap is my favorite when I have the $ for it. Less is more, whatever brand you use.

Right now, I'm using a store brand F&C. It's OK. Not my fave at washing, but it hasn't caused a rash yet.

We love charlies!!!

Also, I don't know if this has been mentioned, but if you use fabric softeners or dryer sheets, get rid of them. Even the unscented ones contain a substance which comes off on the clothing and might cause issues.

So what do you use in place of fabric softener? Dh haven't had an issue with the Purex Sensitive skin and is all clear(almond milk and aloe is the scent).

Holly

So what do you use in place of fabric softener? Dh haven't had an issue with the Purex Sensitive skin and is all clear(almond milk and aloe is the scent).

Holly

I gave up dryer sheets years ago. The only time that we really have static is when drying synthetics. Cotton (most of our clothing) doesn't have static. Some people use vinegar in the wash as a fabric softener. I've not tried this. There are "dryer balls" which are reusable. I have used these in the past...but it has been awhile so I don't recall how well they worked. You can hang synthetics to dry and only dry cotton items. Those are a few ideas.

When my youngest son had horrible eczema, I went on a rampage changing dietary and environmental things looking for the trigger. The dryer sheets (All Free so already unscented) were one of the things to go. Ultimately, his eczema cleared, though I cannot say exactly how or why. We are gluten free and dairy light so I do attribute some of the changes to that. I have used All Free for years, though, for the whole family, and it has worked well, cleaned well, not seemed to bother anyone's skin and is fairly inexpensive.:001_smile:

I really like Country Save, which I order from Amazon. I first bought it for cloth diapering because it was highly recommended on several websites, but I now am hooked on it for all our clothes. I have had laundry detergent problems for most of my life, but this stuff is great.

WHY do they only sell it in lots of 4??

I used All Free and Clear for years with no problems and then started having skin irritation. I cannot use any soaps or harsh chemicals on my skin at all. So, I use white vinegar in my wash now. It stinks and I don't like using it, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Ecos with white vinegar as the fabric softener and use only half of the recommended soap OR do a double rinse

My dd had a number of allergies--including stuff in paper diapers so we had to switch to cloth--and Ecos worked well for her.

My other tips are these:

1. Stick a batch of your current clothes into the washer and check mid-cycle to see if you have bubbles. If you do, you have soap residue left behind on your clothing. Cut back on the amount of detergent that you use.

2. Keep a list of what you react to; it'll help you determine if you're having problems with fragrance or coconut based derivates or other common ingredients between detergents.