Menu

Darn it. I really wanted to comment on pie!

Please share the recipe. I'm always on the lookout for good pie recipes.

Ok, it is really easy. Pre-cooked two deep dish pie shells. Cook 1 package of Jello pudding and divide between the two shells. Let cool. Mix two packages of cream cheese with a large tub of cool whip (I let the cream cheese reach room temp. and then whip before adding the cool whip). Continue to beat until creamy and lump free. Spread over the pudding. Top with chocolate shaving (or mini chocolate chips) and finely chopped walnut (or not if you family is allergic or doesn't like them). Refridgerate for about 12 hours before serving. You can use two packages of pudding but my family prefers a higher ratio of the cream cheese mixture. Don't even try to figure out the calorie count. It is in the neighborhood of cheesecake and will prevent you from enjoying it as much. It makes a great holiday breakfast by the way. :D

Edited by KidsHappen

Did the pie thread get crazy-controversial or something? I must have missed that. :001_huh:

ETA: I could have really thrown down on it too! My favorite pie recipe isn't even properly a pie! Flames would have rained down! :lol:;)

Well, the original topic had nothing to do with pie. But it became pie, as in, "pass the bean dip please" but in that case it was " let's talk pie instead".

The more an OP tells people to stay on her topic the more they veer off onto pie. Human nature is so odd that way. :lol::lol::lol:

Well, the original topic had nothing to do with pie. But it became pie, as in, "pass the bean dip please" but in that case it was " let's talk pie instead".

The more an OP tells people to stay on her topic the more they veer off onto pie. Human nature is so odd that way. :lol::lol::lol:

I thought it was the pie a week thread! I was wondering how that could have gotten so out of hand as to get deleted! :lol:

Did the pie thread get crazy-controversial or something? I must have missed that. :001_huh:

ETA: I could have really thrown down on it too! My favorite pie recipe isn't even properly a pie! Flames would have rained down! :lol:;)

There was a pie thread? I'm glad it has been resurrected. I do hope no one gets banned for this resurrection!:D

There was a pie thread? I'm glad it has been resurrected. I do hope no one gets banned for this resurrection!:D

Well,when is someone going to post their favorite pie recipe.

I loved chocolate peanut butter pie when I was a kid but I've never made it. The calories don't count because it contains peanut butter and that's real food.

Any chocolate peanut butter recipes out there ?

Try this one....mmmmm....

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

1 chocolate wafer crumb crust

Filling

1 and 1/4 cups smooth peanut butter

1 8 ox package cream cheese, softened

1 cup powdered sugar

1 tbsp. vanilla

1 1/4 cups whipping cream

1 recipe Mocha Sauce (recipe follows)

Cream together the peanut butter, cream cheese, and 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar in large bowl with electric mixer. Blend in vanilla. Wash and dry the beaters.

Using a chilled medium sized mixing bowl and chilled beaters, beat the cream with the mixer till it holds soft peaks. Add the rest of the confectioners sugar and continue to beat till it is soft but not grainy. Add about 1/3 of the whipped cream to the peanut butter mixture. Blend with the mixer till smooth and creamy. Fold in the remaining whipped cream till the filling is smooth and evenly mixed. Spoon the filling into the pie shell and smooth the top with a spoon. Cover with loosely tented aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.

When the filling is good and firm prepare the mocha sauce. When the sauce has cooled somewhat but is still pourable, pour it over the pie, tilting the pie to spread the sauce to the edge. Set aside to cool. Recover with tented aluminum foil and refrigerate till ready to serve.

Mocha Sauce

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 tbsp. instant espresso or coffee granules

2 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces

1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

1 tbsp. light corn syrup

1/2 tsp vanilla extract.

Bring cream coffee and butter to a simmer in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat whisking to dissolve the coffee. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate chips. Let the mixture stand for 2 minutes. Whisk to smooth; whisk in the corn syrup and the vanilla.

Well, here's my pseudo pie recipe:

Yummy Tummy (ds named it when he was 3 - it is yummy in his tummy ;))

crust: Combine 2 cups pretzel crumbs, 1/2 cup melted butter, and 1 cup sugar til crumbs are thoroughly moistened. Press into the bottom of two pie plates (or one 13x9 casserole dish) and refrigerate at least 2 hours before filling.

filling: Combine 1 large tub of softened Cool Whip, 2 bricks of softened cream cheese, and 1 cup sugar with hand mixer til smooth. Spread over crust. Top with fresh sliced fruit and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

I'll come back and post dh's favorite pie recipe later - Chocolate Bavarian Cream Pie.

Try this one....mmmmm....

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

1 chocolate wafer crumb crust

Filling

1 and 1/4 cups smooth peanut butter

1 8 ox package cream cheese, softened

1 cup powdered sugar

1 tbsp. vanilla

1 1/4 cups whipping cream

1 recipe Mocha Sauce (recipe follows)

Cream together the peanut butter, cream cheese, and 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar in large bowl with electric mixer. Blend in vanilla. Wash and dry the beaters.

Using a chilled medium sized mixing bowl and chilled beaters, beat the cream with the mixer till it holds soft peaks. Add the rest of the confectioners sugar and continue to beat till it is soft but not grainy. Add about 1/3 of the whipped cream to the peanut butter mixture. Blend with the mixer till smooth and creamy. Fold in the remaining whipped cream till the filling is smooth and evenly mixed. Spoon the filling into the pie shell and smooth the top with a spoon. Cover with loosely tented aluminum foil and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.

When the filling is good and firm prepare the mocha sauce. When the sauce has cooled somewhat but is still pourable, pour it over the pie, tilting the pie to spread the sauce to the edge. Set aside to cool. Recover with tented aluminum foil and refrigerate till ready to serve.

Mocha Sauce

1/2 cup heavy cream

1 tbsp. instant espresso or coffee granules

2 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces

1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

1 tbsp. light corn syrup

1/2 tsp vanilla extract.

Bring cream coffee and butter to a simmer in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat whisking to dissolve the coffee. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate chips. Let the mixture stand for 2 minutes. Whisk to smooth; whisk in the corn syrup and the vanilla.

:Angel_anim: That sounds heavenly. :Angel_anim: Thank you so much. I do love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter. :001_wub:

Nah, probly not banned, just force fed CAKE!!!! :lol:

:lol::lol:Let them eat...

(I suddenly recall that back in November I put a couple of jars of uncooked pumpkin pie filling out in the big freezer so as to discover how well it cooks up after being frozen and then thawed. I think I'll go fish one of them out and put it in the fridge. Pie tomorrow! Assuming it works, of course.)

I've been totally wheat free for a year now and I ended up deciding to skip the usual substitutes for pie crust (I make a very yummy pumpkin custard!). DH asked me just tonight if I miss pie and I had to admit that I only miss... meat pies, not sweet ones. I wouldn't have predicted that!

(I suddenly recall that back in November I put a couple of jars of uncooked pumpkin pie filling out in the big freezer so as to discover how well it cooks up after being frozen and then thawed. I think I'll go fish one of them out and put it in the fridge. Pie tomorrow! Assuming it works, of course.)

Please report the results of that experiment!

Confession: I've never made pie.:blushing:

(Can I still be in the club? I eat pie! :D)

Anyone got a nice pecan pie? mmm...my Grandma makes the best...I wonder what she thinks about pie...she makes good ice cream too...mmmm....pecan pie and homemade vanilla ice cream...

(Is this a conspiracy on the HS mom who is trying to lose that Holiday weight?:glare: b/c I've been trying for about 7 holidays...)

:tongue_smilie:

Anyone got a nice pecan pie? mmm...my Grandma makes the best...I wonder what she thinks about pie...she makes good ice cream too...mmmm....pecan pie and homemade vanilla ice cream...

(Is this a conspiracy on the HS mom who is trying to lose that Holiday weight?:glare: b/c I've been trying for about 7 holidays...)

I vote you get to be in the pie club!

I have made a pecan pie. I love pecan pie. I have a bit of a problem with it though. People who make them tend to get angry with me. I pull all the pecans out of it. Nasty little nuts. They really mess up the pie. I don't care for nuts. I love the syrupy sweet stuff that supports the pecans though. It is delicious! :yesnod:

I have made a pecan pie. I love pecan pie. I have a bit of a problem with it though. People who make them tend to get angry with me. I pull all the pecans out of it. Nasty little nuts. They really mess up the pie. I don't care for nuts. I love the syrupy sweet stuff that supports the pecans though. It is delicious! :yesnod:

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh I'm so glad this is a thread about cake! Pie can be very controversial.

So about cake - what's your favorite???

:D

Well, personally, I am not prejudiced either way. I happen to like them both. I refuse to be biased against any particular kind of cake. I cannot play favorites. It might just depend on my mood at the particular moment. As long as it is easy to pick the nuts out, I'm happy!:001_smile:

I've been totally wheat free for a year now and I ended up deciding to skip the usual substitutes for pie crust (I make a very yummy pumpkin custard!). DH asked me just tonight if I miss pie and I had to admit that I only miss... meat pies, not sweet ones. I wouldn't have predicted that!

I've never tasted it, but I know a wheat-free woman who makes meat pies in parboiled bell peppers, AKA stuffed peppers with meat pie filling instead of meatloaf filling.

That's the great thing about pie, as long as you love it pie doesn't care! I've only ever made a pumpkin pie. I buy coconut cream pie from a restaurant down the street. Yum. Plus, all my in-laws are great bakers. They get to feel special because cooking is their thing.

Oh you should give pie making a shot. There's a reason for the saying, "easy as pie". If you're really intimidated, buy a ready-made unbaked crust from the store. Then all you have to do is mix up the innards, dump them in, and bake it. Of course, homemade crust is even better, but you have to start somewhere, right?

Pecan Pie

3 eggs

1 cup corn syrup

2/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup butter, melted

1 tsp vanilla

1 1/4 cups pecan halves (note you could also use walnuts, peanuts macadamia nuts, cashews, or whatever other nuts trip your trigger.)

Pastry for single-crust pie.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl whisk eggs lightly until combined. Stir in corn syrup, sugar, butter, and vanilla. Stir in pecan halves.

Place a pastry-lined 9-inch pie plate on the oven rack. Pour in the filling. Bake in 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes, or till a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. (Note: "Clean" is a relative term. When the pie is uncooked a lot of sticky filling will cling to it. When the pie is cooked, the knife will come out with a sort of buttery looking sheen.)

Some people like to put a little foil around the outside edge of the pie crust during the first half of baking to prevent it from over-browning.

Make a CHESS pie that uses corn syrup. Non-pecan pecan pie!

Yes pie is lovely, but I feel iconoclastic today and am going to shout some dirty words:

PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE

Oh gag :tongue_smilie: I remember being so disappointed when I was a child every time my Mom made a pineapple upside down cake, instead of a yummy chocolate cake.

Stop saying those dirty words. :tongue_smilie::lol:

Please report the results of that experiment!

It worked perfectly. It took me an extra little while to get it baked, but the jar just sat and thawed in the fridge until I was ready, and then I just threw a crust together and poured it in and baked it, and you'd never know it had ever been frozen. I will definitely be doing this again.

Also, the quart jar was just the perfect amount for the 9 inch pie plate too, for reference.

I wonder what other pie fillings I could freeze...it certainly did make for a super-easy dessert.

It worked perfectly. It took me an extra little while to get it baked, but the jar just sat and thawed in the fridge until I was ready, and then I just threw a crust together and poured it in and baked it, and you'd never know it had ever been frozen. I will definitely be doing this again.

Also, the quart jar was just the perfect amount for the 9 inch pie plate too, for reference.

I wonder what other pie fillings I could freeze...it certainly did make for a super-easy dessert.

Thanks so much! I love anything I can make ahead of time and freeze. I do dinner rolls in large batches and freeze them between shaping and second rise. I recently discovered that cake batter can be frozen in cupcake tins--you can put it in the oven frozen and just bake a few minutes longer and they come out beautifully, which is so great because our family has trouble going through 2 dozen cupcakes before they go stale!

Thanks so much! I love anything I can make ahead of time and freeze. I do dinner rolls in large batches and freeze them between shaping and second rise. I recently discovered that cake batter can be frozen in cupcake tins--you can put it in the oven frozen and just bake a few minutes longer and they come out beautifully, which is so great because our family has trouble going through 2 dozen cupcakes before they go stale!

Ooooh! I see a LemonPie!!!:drool:

Oh that's good to know too! We don't eat a whole batch of cupcakes at once either. I freeze them baked, but I bet they would be better if I just froze the batter and baked htem fresh.

Oh that's good to know too! We don't eat a whole batch of cupcakes at once either. I freeze them baked, but I bet they would be better if I just froze the batter and baked htem fresh.

Yes, I was amazed at how well it worked! I froze it in cupcake papers in a cupcake tin, then transferred to a freezer bag when they were solid.