Menu

stuffed dates recipe - sweet hotness in the bacon

We have a restaurant in our town that serves an appetizer called "Cheap Dates." They are stuffed with gorgonzola and wrapped in bacon. I have found MANY on-line recipes for these. However,this particular restaurant is putting something sweet-hot on the bacon I think as there is a definite bit of heat in the bacon. Do you think rolling them in a brown sugar/cayenne pepper combo would do the trick?

They are so good. But, I can't find any recipes on-line where anything is "done" to the bacon. There's definitely some sugar in the ones from the restaurant. The bacon is kind of glazy.

Any ideas?

Could it be a sweet chili sauce? '

I would try your idea of brown sugar/cayenne though. I googled around and while I found a few restaurants with "cheap dates" that sound similar, none seemed to show up with recipe searches that are spicy.

Can you ask the restaurant for the recipe? Many restaurants, not chains (b/c the only recipe chains follow is "1. Put in Microwave and 2. Press start) will give out recipes.... I have asked and received a few times :)

I have a friend who always says, "It's an asking world."

What is a sweet chili sauce???

http://www.meijer.com/s/heinz-premium-chili-sauce-1-bottle-12-oz/_/R-125894;jsessionid=67CC85ED07FEC6641C759CE831A78C51.instance03?CAWELAID=317651908&cmpid=goobase

Heinz makes a chili sauce. If you've ever had that appetizer of bacon wrapped water chestnuts, the sauce on those is chili sauce.

I was familiar with chili sauce...just had never heard it called "sweet chili sauce." Though that makes sense since it isn't hot!

Thank you!