Menu

S/O Do you do your own taxes?

Do you do your own taxes?  

1. 1. Do you do your own taxes?

• Yes, I do my own.
    • No, I pay someone to do it for me.

My first job out of college was as an office manager for a tax preparation place. I was shocked to discover that the preparers were using a software nearly identical to TurboTax yet they charged hundreds of dollars for the privilege :glare:

If we ever have complicated taxes, I would hire an actual CPA but we're not there yet.

I have always done our taxes (married 18 years), all but one year. We used H&R that one year, and they charged $250. I looked over the forms afterward and there was nothing there I couldn't have handled, so we went right back to doing our own.

And ours aren't the simplest: we own two businesses, we itemize deductions, we own our own home and have one rental property. I use TaxAct and prefer it over TurboTax. It's very, very user friendly -- it walks you through everything.

My first job out of college was as an office manager for a tax preparation place. I was shocked to discover that the preparers were using a software nearly identical to TurboTax yet they charged hundreds of dollars for the privilege :glare:

Yeah. I can understand paying $300+ to a tax accountant who works all year on keeping up with the tax law changes. I can not understand paying $300 to a tax "preparer" who does not do that. There are nuances in the law that the software doesn't grasp. Why not just do it yourself if you feel you don't have any need for the nuance?