Menu

SOTW1 and AG

Guest mrshorn1975

Guest mrshorn1975

We are new to hs'ing our 11 year old. I was wondering if the SOTW1 and activity guide are too "young" for him? I bought SOTW1, I am thinking of having DS read each chapter and do a summary. My question is if the activity guide is for younger kids? Do you think my 11 year old will find it interesting?

We are new to hs'ing our 11 year old. I was wondering if the SOTW1 and activity guide are too "young" for him? I bought SOTW1, I am thinking of having DS read each chapter and do a summary. My question is if the activity guide is for younger kids? Do you think my 11 year old will find it interesting?

I think he will like it. My oldest dd (11 in May) is using SOTW1 now, as are her younger sisters. I have her read the chapter, complete the test (you can buy a book of tests), write a paragraph about what she learned, and do the map from the AG. So, she uses the AG. I love it for the maps, the sample narrations, the review questions, and the book lists. In addition to SOTW, I get books from the library that dd reads. Very occasionally we do an activity or project from the AG.

Dd also reads relevant pages from a history encyclopedia. Once a week she creates an outline from the encyclopedia (as talked about in the Logic Stage history section of TWTM).

My 11 and 9 yos love it and we even did it already when they 5 and 7.

My oldest does lots of extra reading and not only narrations, but also outlines and lists of facts (like recomended in WTM for logic age) and tests.

They both do many of the activies, and I find it so nice that mostly they can do them on thier own. Compared to last time when any projects were all on me (including much of the "work"), this time I usually read what the activites are and they go and do them.

If they want to do something that we don't have supplies/ingredients for then I have them make the list ;)