Menu

need recommendation on writing curriculum for middle/high school co-op

Hi,

Our small co-op is planning on offering writing next year to our 7th-10th graders. We are a small co-op, so this will be one combined class.

Do you have any recommendations for a curriculum that will work well in a mixed level, co-op environment?

Thanks!

I have used The Lost Tools of Writing in my co-op classes for the past two years. LTOW focuses on the persuasive essay and teaches three canons of writing: Invention, Arrangement, and Elocution. Another word for Invention could be thinking. Arrangement can be called structure. Elocution can be called style. I have learned through LTOW how to address each of these areas in a natural way.

The weekly lessons rotate between these three canons. For the first essay, students will be taught how to address the Invention Canon by learning how to phrase a thesis. The Arrangement Canon will be addressed by teaching the student how to write an outline. The Elocution Canon will be addressed by teaching the student to move from outline to sentences and paragraphs. Subsequent lessons rotate through the three canons teaching new skills each time while reinforcing learned skills.

I have been teaching composition to co-op classes for four years. I was always frustrated with other programs, because I felt the emphasis was on structure and style, not ideas. I tried to get my students to think more deeply, but LTOW has taught me some effective ways to accomplish this.

Edited by Leanna
clarity

I have used The Lost Tools of Writing in my co-op classes for the past two years. LTOW focuses on the persuasive essay and teaches three canons of writing: Invention, Arrangement, and Elocution. Another word for Invention could be thinking. Arrangement can be called structure. Elocution can be called style. I have learned through LTOW how to address each of these areas in a natural way.

The weekly lessons rotate between these three canons. For the first essay, students will be taught how to address the Invention Canon by learning how to phrase a thesis. The Arrangement Canon will be addressed by teaching the student how to write an outline. The Elocution Canon will be addressed by teaching the student to move from outline to sentences and paragraphs. Subsequent lessons rotate through the three canons teaching new skills each time while reinforcing learned skills.

I have been teaching composition to co-op classes for four years. I was always frustrated with other programs, because I felt the emphasis was on structure and style, not ideas. I tried to get my students to think more deeply, but LTOW has taught me some effective ways to accomplish this.

How long did it take you to understand and feel comfortable teaching with LTOW? Was it easy for the parents to pick up the ideas in order to help the kids at home? (we only meet once a week so there would have to be a fair bit of homework.) Do you use their cds or dvds or were those unnecessary?

Thanks!!

How long did it take you to understand and feel comfortable teaching with LTOW? Was it easy for the parents to pick up the ideas in order to help the kids at home? (we only meet once a week so there would have to be a fair bit of homework.) Do you use their cds or dvds or were those unnecessary?

Thanks!!

I watched the DVD's once and spent an afternoon poring over the manuals. I honestly had a good handle on the progression of the program within a short time. I have not referred back the the DVD's at all.

Our co-op meets once a week as well. I have had to modify the suggested LTOW schedule, but really find the students don't need as much review as the schedule suggests. The student worksheets are fairly self explanatory, so the students don't need much help. I did find it helpful to meet with the parents before school started to give an overview of the program. I try to communicate with the parents via email as I anticipate questions.

I find it necessary to have the students email their homework the day before co-op. The students need feedback on their work before I begin the next class, and it's helpful to me as the teacher to see if everyone is understanding the concepts.

I watched the DVD's once and spent an afternoon poring over the manuals. I honestly had a good handle on the progression of the program within a short time. I have not referred back the the DVD's at all.

Our co-op meets once a week as well. I have had to modify the suggested LTOW schedule, but really find the students don't need as much review as the schedule suggests. The student worksheets are fairly self explanatory, so the students don't need much help. I did find it helpful to meet with the parents before school started to give an overview of the program. I try to communicate with the parents via email as I anticipate questions.

I find it necessary to have the students email their homework the day before co-op. The students need feedback on their work before I begin the next class, and it's helpful to me as the teacher to see if everyone is understanding the concepts.

Excellent info. Thank you so much for taking the time to post.