Menu

Can you tell me about Windows to the World?

Has anybody used this? What do you think about this? Dd is going through figuratively speaking this year- we do our lit this year based around that. Would this be a good follow up or redundant? Still :banghead: over next years lit for 8th grade

Also would this be enough for 8th grade to get dd ready for high school literature?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Windows to the World would definitely get your daughter ready for high school. It would also be a good class freshman year. Jill Pike's syllabus (IEW yahoo files?) combines Teaching the Classics and Windows to the World. I have used the exercises in bits and pieces because my students are far apart in age, but we have enjoyed the work.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236548&highlight=windows+world

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214389&highlight=windows+world

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204682&highlight=windows+world

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14446&highlight=windows+world

Lori D. has some great ideas on using Windows and I think she has used it with an 8th grader. Whatever Swimmer Dude and I don't finish this year, we'll do next year. There were certain short stories where he wasn't quite up to the complexity of the language. "The Gift of the Magi" (maybe that is TC?) is one piece that comes to mind. I would probably have waited a year if I weren't trying to take advantage of having my older student model analysis for her brother. Your student should be a strong reader with an advanced vocabulary, who is able to move beyond literal thinking with some degree of comfort.

Edited by swimmermom3
add another link

I thought you were using Stobaugh???:confused:

Second person to say that to me today :lol:

We started with Stobaugh. I loved it BUT we already had our english, vocabulary and writing with other curricula and I loved them also. So to do just the lit portion of Stobaugh did not work with out the "rest". We did ok for a while but then it got to a point I had to make a decision and dd was doing so well with the writing, english and vocab we were doing I did not want to stop those.

Has anybody used this? What do you think about this? Dd is going through figuratively speaking this year- we do our lit this year based around that. Would this be a good follow up or redundant? ... Also would this be enough for 8th grade to get dd ready for high school literature?

Figuratively Speaking is a great resource for learning what literary elements *are*, and for showing examples of them.

The next step up from Figuratively Speaking would be a full-fledged literature program which guides you into:

- HOW to LOOK for those literary elements

- discuss/analyze/write about HOW those literary elements support theme, characterization, worldview, etc. that are the underlying WHAT the classic literature is ABOUT

In addition, a good lit. guide or program usually gives you:

- background info on the author, his/her work, and the times and culture of both (gives context and meaning to the literature)

- guided discussion questions to springboard you into not only discussing/analyzing the work, but into thinking about/applying the themes and worldviews to your own life (a major reason why people bother to read classic lit.!)

We found Lightning Lit. 7 (LL7) and LL8, and Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings (LLftLotR) to be extremely gentle programs to help us take that next step up. However, I just saw in another recent post of yours that you did not care for LL7. LLftLotR is a very different type of program from LL7 and LL8 -- more like a "language arts program" than a straight literature program -- so you may want to take a look at it.

LLftLotR includes:

- vocabulary worksheets and quizzes

- comprehension fill-in-the-blank questions

- writing assignment ideas

- notes for every single chapter (which give you background information on the author/work; explain various literary elements, major themes in the book; give you things to look for; etc.)

- has 12 units of additional, related material (several units of literary analysis of other works; unit on poetry; unit on literary genres; unit on epic works; etc.)

Windows to the World is a 1 semester program (now with the possibly of being a 1 YEAR program if you join the Yahoo group and download the additional materials from the author.) It is centered on 6 short stories. The program teaches annotation for the purpose of helping you both think about and analyze each story, but to also give you specific examples to support writing a literary analysis essay on each story.

The program includes some exercises, a chapter that is one of the very clearest, most specific helps I've ever run across in HOW to write a literary analysis, chapters on specific literary analysis topics such as theme, characterization, symbolism, etc.; and has a number of longer writing assignment ideas.

If your student has not done much literary analysis before (putting those literary elements into practice and/or discussing literature themes, etc.), or if your student is a weaker writer, then I would hold off and do WttW in high school. Instead, I would recommend doing some individual works with good literature guides, or go with a gentle, intro type of literature program. On the other hand, if your student is very comfortable with analysis/literary discussion, and is an average to strong reader and writer, then I think WttW would be a fine choice for grade 8, and would certainly prepare the student for high school literature.

For more experiences and reviews of WttW, check out the past thread links below. And if none of those answers your questions, then perhaps try posting this question on the high school board, as you'll have more "BTDT" moms to help with high school level program questions. :)

BEST of luck in whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Any thoughts on IEW's Windows to the World?

Windows to the World?

IEW's Windows to the World -- Questions from a Newbie

Windows to the World -- Anyone Have This?

Windows to the World: A Complete Lit Course?

(WttW IS now a complete course if you sign up for the Yahoo group and download the additional material from the author there -- see this more recent thread: Questions About IEW's Windows to the World)

Difference Between Teaching the Classics and Windows to the World?

Windows to the World: Has Anyone Used This?

Edited by Lori D.