Menu

What Latin Grammar program will be enough to cut out English Grammar?

I'm really wantng to cut out English grammar so we can focus on Latin Grammar, Math, Science, History & Lit only next year. Which Latin Grammar program fits the bill? We will be using Cambridge in addition, which is heavy on vocabulary & translations, so I really just need a Latin program with thorough grammar instruction. I was thinking GSWL but maybe something more indepth.

Suggestions? Do you do Latin Grammar ony or Latin & English both?

GSWL is not complete enough for that purpose, IMO, though certainly it could be used as an introduction to Latin grammar, a partial course. You could probably take your time on it and still finish it in less than a semester for a middle schooler. My guess is that most Latin curricula that have "enough" grammar such that you could avoid English grammar for the whole year would be time consuming and render the Cambridge supplemental. Another option might be to get a good Latin grammar reference book.

A third option might be to add something like Basic Language Principles with a Latin Background, which has grammar lessons simultaneously in English and Latin (well, first English and then Latin). It is not a complete Latin grammar, but it will cover quite a bit of middle school English grammar - it's only about 50 lessons. I don't have it at my fingertips at the present moment, but if you need further info on the contents I can post in a few days when I get back. I don't recall English mechanics being included. I started it with my dd for the purpose of English grammar, but it made our day a little too grammar-and-Latin heavy (because we're doing Henle). I may go back to it as we go along, however. Here's one description: http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/curricula/reviews/basiclanguage.php

Right now I am going through LfCB with my fifth grader. While it doesn't have diagramming, it does require the students to both label every word in the sentence and often parse each word. We just hit the chapter on pronouns, so we will be learning more about those this week. We've covered nouns, verbs, linking verbs, transitive verbs, adjectives (which have to agree with the nouns), prepositions, and now pronouns. LfC really does cover a lot of grammar. Now, I will have my dd cover grammar with AG next year in 6th grade, but that is mostly because I really want her to have a good grasp of grammar.

So, what other programs can you use to eliminate English grammar? Someone (Crimson Wife?) mentioned Latin Road to English grammar. This program looks great. From what I have seen it really covers all the bases. Also, you may want to look into the Memoria Press programs. specifically First Form Latin. I had the opportunity to speak with Cheryl Lowe last year at a convention and she seems really into Latin grammar. I have no doubt these programs are thorough. You could then easily transition into something like Henle which, as I recall, is full of grammar.

I do both English and Latin grammar. They reinforce one another but, IMO, Latin grammar should not completely replace English grammar.

At a certain point, however, I'm not convinced it is the best use of the student's time to do yet ANOTHER year of English grammar. Let's say that my DD completes MCT's "town" and "voyage"; Killgallon's Story Grammar, Middle School Grammar, and possibly High School Grammar; Noden's Image Grammar; and whichever of the Warriner's I have sitting on my shelf (3rd course I believe). If she doesn't have a solid enough grasp of English grammar after all those to switch to LRTEG, I don't know what more I can do. KWIM?

At a certain point, however, I'm not convinced it is the best use of the student's time to do yet ANOTHER year of English grammar. Let's say that my DD completes MCT's "town" and "voyage"; Killgallon's Story Grammar, Middle School Grammar, and possibly High School Grammar; Noden's Image Grammar; and whichever of the Warriner's I have sitting on my shelf (3rd course I believe). If she doesn't have a solid enough grasp of English grammar after all those to switch to LRTEG, I don't know what more I can do. KWIM?

In this case, it sounds like you're doing them sequentially. The OP was interested in completely replacing English grammar.

In this case, it sounds like you're doing them sequentially. The OP was interested in completely replacing English grammar.

But at a certain point, I am planning to stop English grammar and replace it with Latin (exact grade level is TBD but maybe 6th). The reason I've held off on starting Latin is because I don't want to do them concurrently. I think Drew Campbell has a point when he talks about Multum non multa.