Menu

If you could go back to do 1st grade...

I'd teach my child to obey. I'd teach them to sit when asked. I'd read lots.... have lots of audio books... get rid of the tv... spend any extra money on field trips... science museums... and some phonics program.... I'd get things for them to play with like an abacus... set up some "fun/learning" tables... Spend lots of time on relationship... include them in chores... give lots of hugs... lots of time to just be young :) As long as when they get a bit older, you can say, "Sit and let's work on.... such and such..." I really think that if you can have a good relationship... and be "in charge" then up to 7 or so... there's nothing like ...just exploring the world together.

Well... those are my thoughts :)

I have the chance to start from scratch w/ dgs, my #7 in home schooling and we're doing Phonics Road from the beginning! What a difference that will make! We're using Family Math and playing games and games and games, just reading and snuggling. I have become more Charlotte Mason in the first 3-4 years of school than I ever was before. I've discovered rigor should not be a part of the early years...my poor first lot!

Oh, and I wouldn't be so concerned about what the public school does or "proving" my home schooling to everyone. I'd just keep it to ourselves and not try to sway anyone.