Menu

MCT - what makes it so special and unique?

razorbackmama

I keep reading posts about MCT and how wonderful it is. But I can never find any post that says WHY. What exactly makes it so wonderful? How is it different from other LA curriculums? What is it you like/don't like about it? (And "We just do/don't" won't work LOL.)

Do you have to use the whole thing, or can you JUST use the writing or whatever?

I think the primary difference between MCT Grammar (Grammar Island, Practice Island etc.) and Writing (Sentence Island etc.) and other programs is that both use story as the vehicle for delivering content. This makes them engaging and the content memorable.

The poetry and vocabulary components (Music of the Hemispheres and Caesar's English) are more in line with other "gifted" education materials. These don't rely on a storyline, they just deliver advanced content in palatable chunks.

You could easily use Caesar's English alone or Music of the Hemispheres alone, but the grammar and writing programs are intertwined. The writing program is grammar heavy. It is not invention/idea/brainstorming heavy like most other writing programs. I consider it part of the grammar program.

Edited by Kalmia

There is very little drill and kill in it. You read it, and you are expected to retain it without going over it again and again. The bulk of the seatwork is contained in the practice books where, in the Island level at least, you only do 1 sentence a day. There are a few quizzes and reviews in the back of the other books but they are more like unit reviews and not for daily assignments. If you are used to typical grammar instruction, you might read the books and wonder where the actual lessons are.

It's kid friendly in that it is a story and it facilitates a conversation about language. It gives a solid big picture understanding of grammar. And it's harder for a kid who detects patterns easily to use that particular skill in place of understanding, a thing that is much easier to do with more traditional grammar programs.

The other thing is that Mr Thompson's enthusiasm about language simply oozes from the pages. It's unusual to find a resource that transmits joy and fascination with a topic. In fact, MCT might be unique in that.

It's kid friendly in that it is a story and it facilitates a conversation about language. It gives a solid big picture understanding of grammar. And it's harder for a kid who detects patterns easily to use that particular skill in place of understanding, a thing that is much easier to do with more traditional grammar programs.

The other thing is that Mr Thompson's enthusiasm about language simply oozes from the pages. It's unusual to find a resource that transmits joy and fascination with a topic. In fact, MCT might be unique in that.

:iagree:

The pictures are very helpful. Here are a few of them on posters:

http://www.rfwp.com/series79.htm#650

Also, I think his way of diagramming is far more logical and easily visualized and logically organized than traditional diagramming.

You could skip the stories and just teach the facts with the pictures for your children who are anti-story, and enjoy the stories yourself or with children who enjoy stories.

:iagree:My son smiles a LOT every time we do a lesson and I think it is because he totally picks up on MCT's love of language! As others have said, the presentation is creative and allegorical (almost!) so that we are learning about language almost without realizing we're learning about language! My firstborn is a very creative thinker and he LOVES anything LA, so it is a great fit for him. My second born (also a son) is more of a linear/logical thinker, so he doesn't like it nearly as well. He is also younger, so that could have something to do with it; I plan to at least give it a try with him in a couple of years because 1st son and I are having so much fun with it!

You could try to do only one or two components of the levels, but why break up a good thing?! They flow together SO nicely it would be a shame to miss out on anything. :001_smile:

*I* loved MCT, my ds8 not so much. My kids are very worksheet oriented, They love worksheets. MCT doesn't have any worksheets (well except in Practice Island, Town etc...) it has stories in it but it is more of a conversation. The language is very easy to read and very easy to understand. My ds8 learned a lot even though he says he didn't like it. He prefers LLATL.

If I could have made my ds8 like it I would still be using it and enjoying it myself!

Oh my. Allegorical? I'd better steer clear with my oldest!:001_huh:

It is allegorical and "storical" (I couldn't help myself, made up word to mean uses story.)

But, it is also very precise and logical.

Ignore the allegory and story, give him the facts, MCT is precise and logical if you just present his definitions and the facts. His way of diagramming is also precise and logical.

Here is an example of the definition of a preposition in FLL vs. MCT:

FLL:

A preposition is a word that shows the relationship of a noun or pronoun to another word in the sentence.

MCT’s Grammar Island:

A Preposition shows a relationship between two words. (then examples)

Sometimes, it is a relationship in TIME. (example)

Sometimes, it is a relationship in SPACE (example)

Both my DS(8) and I LOVE it!!! It just has a way of making things "click"! We started with Grammar Island and are now working on Sentence Island, Practice Island, Music of Hemispheres and Building Language (not all on the same day!!!) It is our favorite part of our day!!!

We still use GWG along with it. And honestly, even I didn't use it for "grammar" I would still read it and go through it!

I just can't explain it, but it really makes helps ME understand grammar in a way I had never thought of before! You start to see the "big picture" when you use all the components!

Alicia

it is also very precise and logical.

Ignore the allegory and story, give him the facts, MCT is precise and logical if you just present his definitions and the facts. His way of diagramming is also precise and logical.

I agree that his definitions are very precise and logical but I personally find the way he has chosen to organize the books very illogical. It drives me up a wall how ADD-ish it is, bouncing around from topic to topic and then circling back to the first topic. I really wish that all the information pertaining to a given topic was in ONE place, logically organized the way FLL is or Warriner's.

I put up with it because I love the "story" aspect and how he makes some pretty advanced topics accessible to a young audience.