Menu

aas level 1 question

iona

hi,

i am just getting started with level 1 with my 6 year old. we are in the process of learning the phonograms and i introduced lesson 2, segmenting, to ds today.

he was doing really well (or it was not too challenging) except for one word.

in the section where they are supposed to say the last sound of the word we got to the word 'home'

his first response was to say the short vowel sound of e, "eh" i'm thinking he pictured the word in his head, and saw that the last letter was e and then said the sound of e. it threw me off at first because i am still transitioning to phonograms from letters, but we talked about how the e made the o say it's name but the last sound of the word was 'mmm'

has anyone had this experience? does this say anything about his learning style or thought process? finally, what is a good way to differentiate between letters and phonograms, because even i am still a little confused just learning this stuff.

thanks

I think he is still confused what you want him to do, I think. He tries to apply all he knows into everything including sounds. And i am guessing he thinks tokens represent letters.

We finished Level 1 and I am thinking that Level 1 started with you asking him for beginning sound, then further down the lesson you ask him for the ending sound. "Home" has /m/ as the ending sound and letter e as the ending letter. I really think that he might get confused with letters vs sounds when it is time to do tokens. Because simple words like cat, dog, big, log have same number of sounds as they have letters. He probably just switched sounds with letters in his head and doing "token represents letters" in his head now.

Also you can remind him that tokens are not letters - they are only sounds.

Repeating orally more would work so he hears only sounds.

Edited by trying my best

Actually for this step, you are not supposed to show him the word--you are supposed to say the word so that he is listening for the sounds rather than looking at the letters and trying to say what sounds the letters can stand for. He is not expected to be able to read or decode those words yet. This Step is focusing on auditory processing skills--can he hear all of the sounds in a word? Can he identify the first and last sounds, can he identify how many sounds in a word, etc... These segmenting skills are going to be valuable throughout.

Letters vs. phonograms--every letter is a phonogram, but some phonograms are made up of more than one letter. In level 1, those phonograms would include ch, th, sh, ng, nk, ck. Later on he'll also learn vowel teams and other combinations of letters that form phonograms. The 72 basic phonograms include the 26 letters of the alphabet, and then a variety of teams of letters (ea, ee, igh, etc...). Does that help?

Merry :-)

Merry-he is almost through opg so he can read. i read the word 'home' to him, he didn't see it on the page. i'm thinking that after i read the word to him, he pictured it in his head and made the sound of the last letter. for the word 'may' he sad "ay" (long vowel sound of 'a') as opposed to the "yuh" sound 'y' makes, so in that case he said the correct sound when the last letter could have been used to make a different sound, like the 'e' in the 'home' example. so i think he understood the instructions for the most part. if he is seeing the words in his head, will this be a problem? or is he just ahead in that part?

I would just keep plugging along, my son also is picturing some of the words in his head and giving me spellings occasionally, but I just remind him to do the sounds and now he catches himself.

And ultimately, if you say "home" and he's already thinking h-o-m-e then he's ahead of the game, right? :)

My son did the same thing, since he knew how to spell home already. I just explained that I wanted the last sound, not letter, and he figured it out. We have 2 steps left of level 1, and he has not had any problems at all. I think the point of that word being there is to make sure they are listening to the sounds. :)

Merry-he is almost through opg so he can read. i read the word 'home' to him, he didn't see it on the page. i'm thinking that after i read the word to him, he pictured it in his head and made the sound of the last letter. for the word 'may' he sad "ay" (long vowel sound of 'a') as opposed to the "yuh" sound 'y' makes, so in that case he said the correct sound when the last letter could have been used to make a different sound, like the 'e' in the 'home' example. so i think he understood the instructions for the most part. if he is seeing the words in his head, will this be a problem? or is he just ahead in that part?

Ah, that makes sense. No, not a problem if he's seeing the word in his head, that's a good skill to have. Just let him know this is a different skill like boscopup said--he just needs to listen for the sounds. HTH!