Menu

speaking of pies....recipes for week 4 or was it 5???

Coconut Cream Pie/Chocolate Meringue Pie

(my dad came for a visit this week and this is his favorite, however, my brother who's not a coconut fan came with him and he's not a coconut fan. So I made the Chocolate Meringue for him)

Coconut Cream Pie

1 single crust pie crust, baked

1/2 cup sugar

2.3 tbsp cornstarch

1/8 tsp salt

2 cups milk

3 egg yolks

2 tbsp butter

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 tsp coconut extract (I didn't have this, so I left it out. The pie tasted fine, but I bet it'd be better with the extract)

1 cup sweetened flaked coconut

Topping (I didn't use this.I made a meringue as per the recipe below)

3/4 cup whipping cream

3 tbsp. powdered sugar

1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut

Whisk together the cornstarch, salt, and sugar in a medium sized saucepan. Whisk in the milk and egg yolks. Place over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, till the mixture thickens and boils. Continue after boiling for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add extracts, coconut and butter. Immediately pour into pie shell. Cover with plastic wrap touching the filling so the filling won't develop a "skin" on top. Refrigerate 3 hours or till ready to serve. Don't make the topping till ready to serve.

Topping: Beat the whipping cream till it holds soft peaks. Add the powdered sugar and beat till stiff but not grainy. Smooth over pie and sprinkle with coconut

Chocolate Meringue Pie

1 single crust pie crust, baked

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 tsp salt

3 cups milk

4 egg yolks, beaten

4 tbsp butter

2 tsp. vanilla

4 tbsp cocoa

IN medium saucepan, stir together sugar, cocoa, salt, and cornstarch. Whisk in milk till smooth; stir in eggs. Cook over medium heat until mixture boils constantly stirring to avoid scorching. Boil 2 minutes or until mixture becomes very thick. Remove from heat. Add the vanilla and butter. Pour into baked shell.

Meringue:

Preheat the oven to broil; take 4 room temperature egg whites and 1/4 tsp cream of tartar and whip in mixer bowl at high speed till soft peaks form. Add 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/4 cup of sugar 1 tablespoon at a time mixing all the while, until mixture forms stiff peaks and the sugar is completely dissolved/. Place the pie on a cookie sheet for easy removal and place under the broiler. DO NOT LEAVE THE PIE UNATTENDED. THIS BROWNS QUICKLY. Remove from oven when it is a golden brown color.

Refrigerate pie till serving.