Menu

Vacation advice?! Cruising . . .

We love to cruise as a family. We usually cruise with Disney, but we've also cruised on Royal Caribbean. BUT, we were looking for a quick, cheap getaway for next January. We found a cruise on Carnival that is half what the other ships are AND it's in their suite (which would put us in their VIP status).

I'm nervous about the reputation of Carnival. Have any of you sailed with them? What do you think?

We sailed with them a few years ago; I think it was 2006 or so. We did a short cruise from Galveston to Cozumel and Progresso; I think a 5 day.

We had our boys along -- they were 9, 6 and 1.5 at the time. We all had a great time, enjoyed it, would sail with them again. It was our first (and so far only) cruise, though, so I have nothing to compare it to. Also, ours was during off season as far as crowded with college kids, etc. Mid-September, so not huge crowds, not huge amounts of kids, none of that. If you are planning January, when PS kids are in school, should be okay I would think.

I have never cruised Carnival - and am going on our first cruise in May on RCI.... but here is what I have been told and have read:

Carnival's shorter cruises are more party-like and have a rowdier crowd - as do the Mexican destination cruises. The larger boats, longer cruises, and non-Mexican destinations seem to get really good reviews.

With Carnival, it really depends on the ship. If it is one of their older ships, especially on the quick 3-4 days cruises, I would probably advise against it. Supposedly some of their newer ships are nice, especially those on the longer cruises. And I have heard good things about their child programming, again on the newer ships.

Also, if you are used to Disney, you will need to check your expectations at the dock. ;) Their service is amazing, especially when comparing to Carnival. I know there are some luxury lines who may be better in that area, but you pay for it! I'm really not a Disney superfan or anything, but I have to admit that their attention to detail and service are among the best in the business. When I worked in a popular hotel chain in college, we used Disney training videos/techniques, because they do know their stuff!!

Have you read any reviews of the specific ship on cruisecritic? You will read a lot of bad and good, but I think that is helpful. You can see how people felt about the food, service, rooms, etc on the particular ship you are interested in.

I have only cruised Carnival once, because it was an amazing deal, but it was a disappointment. They have earned their "spring break party cruise" reputation for a reason. :glare: The food and service were really pretty awful on my particular cruise. And their entertainment can be "questionable"...meaning, not family friendly.

Oh, it sounds nice to be planning a vacation right now...as I am looking out my window at the 2 feet of snow in my yard. :lol:

Thank you!!! This is good to hear. I'm leaning more toward doing it. How were the shows and other entertainment?

And, yes - this is off-season - next January. We always have to book early because we need connecting staterooms.

Well, we found enough stuff to do and did not find it too risque'. We saw a one or two comedian acts, and one of the big shows; since we had to pay for late-night sitting (could not leave the under-2 yr old until the after-hours stuff), we didn't do many of the shows.

We thought the food was good, as well. But, like I said, first cruise (and haven't gone since as we moved to Brazil shortly after that), so I have nothing to compare it to.

We did absolutely LOVE the kids' program, though.

I don't think there is much difference between RC and Carnival. Both are for the more budget-minded folks, so you will get those "party" crowds on either, depending on the time of year and destination. I've been on both, and really, other than the logo, the overall cruise experience was rather similiar. Fun though!

My oldest dd and I cruised Carnival in September 2010. Left from Tampa, went to Cozumel and was supposed to go to Grand Cayman, but a passenger became deathly ill and we had to change our route to the Keys.

I was so impressed with how quickly they rearranged all the entertainment, refunded excursions and replaced them with new options.

They flew in a new entertainer for an evening show, and kept everyone constantly updated on the changes~all while making sure the sick passenger was taken care of.

The cruise director was a stitch, great sense of humor and always out and about making sure everyone was having fun.

She had a right hand man who was always on the Lido deck mingling and facilitating afternoon events.

I would cruise again with them in a minute.

I've cruised RC before. They had a nicer ship, but my next cruise will be with Carnival again.

We have only cruised once--on Carnival last March during spring break. We were pleasantly surprised at how wonderful the environment was. There was one time that we felt that some college aged students down the hall were getting rowdy--one call and there were NO more problems. We were very pleased with the way the situation was handled. Now my husband, who was against the first trip, only wants to consider Carnival if we cruise again.

We went from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West and the Bahamas. We would hesitate on going to any Mexico destinations at this point.