Menu

Peter and the Wolf

brasilmom

Hi all,

Can anyone here tell me if you ever saw Peter and the Wolf? If so, what should I look for as far as accuracy goes? We got a book from the library but it the abridged of the abridged of the abridged of the..... many times over. The story is so simplistic it is hardly worth reading. Anyway, I would like to read the story but also to watch it.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

My favorite video version is the Warner Brothers one. It's one of the longer ones-about an hour total, and frames the story as a grandfather explaining his experiences to his grandson. All the animals survive, and the musical themes aren't truncated. There is also a really nice section at the end that explains each instrument and the animal it goes with.

There are many, many good audio recordings, and you may be able to find a local orchestra performing it as well. That's really the best way for a child to hear the story for the first time.

It's certainly not worth reading without the music!

Here's my favorite CD version -- and it's cheap too: http://www.amazon.com/Bernstein-Favorites-Childrens-Sergey-Prokofiev/dp/B0000027CN

As well as Peter and the Wolf, it includes Carnival of the Animals, and The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra -- all of which explain the parts of the orchestra and the types of sounds of each instrument in a delightful way.

My very favorite screen production is the student ballet from the Royal Ballet school. Unfortunately it's out of print, but it's worth checking your library. http://www.amazon.com/Prokofievs-Peter-Royal-Ballet-School/dp/B00005B34Z

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tracy, it is indeed a musical composition, but videos/movies had been made. The reason I value the video is for the orchestra side of it. My dd plays the violin and loves it. Seeing orchestras is a big boost for her, so seeing a story played is always better.

Abbeyej, thanks for the links. I will check my library system and hope to find either if not both.

Thanks again. Be well

Miriam

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Tracy, it is indeed a musical composition, but videos/movies had been made. The reason I value the video is for the orchestra side of it. My dd plays the violin and loves it. Seeing orchestras is a big boost for her, so seeing a story played is always better.

Abbeyej, thanks for the links. I will check my library system and hope to find either if not both.

Thanks again. Be well

Miriam

Hubby found the old Disney one from the ??40s on VCR. The "extras" are wonderful, including a pair of islands made up of people shaped like musical instruments, one is jazz, the other classical, and a war ensues with notes being lobbed back and forth, and the other short a Mickey Mouse trying to do a classical piece with an orchestra of instruments Goofy dropped down the elevator, and everything sounds awful.

Peter is narrated by Sterling whoever, the old voice of Pooh.

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Wolf-Disney-Favorite-Stories/dp/6302961696