Menu

High School Physical Science for 8th grade?

That is exactly what we are doing. We school year round, so our new school year just began in January. My 8th grade son is half done with Algebra I using Math Relief and Life of Fred Beginning Algebra. He is on the second module of Physical Science using Apologia. So far, so good. He scored 100% on his first module test, which was nothing short of a miracle. Truly!:)

He did everything in module 1, all the reading, experiments, lab reports, the study notes and even the questions in the back for module 1. We also purchased the Catie Fraties online classes. My son says the online class helps by going over the material.

Our plan for high school is to do Bio in 9th grade, Chem in 10th and Physics in 11th. I may or may not count Physical Science for high school depending on his future goals. Right now a science major is nowhere in sight. If he decides he would want to major in some science, then we would simply do an advanced science for 12th grade. If nothing changes, Physical science will be counted for high school making it his 1st science in the high school sequence.

DS(8th grade) is working through Algebra 1 this year and just completed Apologia's Physical Science. He is now into Apologia Biology.

DS enjoyed PhysSci, although he didn't think it was meaty enough. He fixed that by doing lots and lots of independent research.

Read quick side question for you --- What about it did he not think was meaty enough. I am looking into this for next year as well- I want a good rigorous class. We are going to do the red wagon tutorials and the tests that come with that instead of Apologia's, as the Red Wagon tests have more essay type questions. I wonder if that would add to the meaty-ness of it???? :confused: Any thoughts

We will probably do CPO's 8th grade physical science (chemistry and physics) along with Alg. I next year for 8th grade math and science. We will follow this up with the biology, chemistry, physics sequence in high school.

CPO also offers a 9th grade physical science called Foundations of Physical Science.

We are not ready for a 9th grade physics such as Hewitt's. The only other chemistry/physics class I can think of is BJU's 9th grade Physical Science.

Be aware that CPO experiment kits are very expensive. To make experiments affordable, you would have to use other resources.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

Read quick side question for you --- What about it did he not think was meaty enough. I am looking into this for next year as well- I want a good rigorous class. We are going to do the red wagon tutorials and the tests that come with that instead of Apologia's, as the Red Wagon tests have more essay type questions. I wonder if that would add to the meaty-ness of it???? :confused: Any thoughts

The book didn't go deep enough into topics he was interested in. I added to it by using Conceptual Phys. Sci and adding in videos and worksheets from resources I found at our local comm. college.

Keep in mind, we ended up at Fermilab speaking with nuclear physicists because DS wanted to know more and had questions I couldn't answer.

I know nothing about Red Wagon so I have no idea if that will make it more meaty. DS's problem wasn't with the tests, he just wanted to go higher up and deeper in, iykwim.

I'm torn about Apologia physical science. I would like something more rigorous, but I want it to be homeschool friendly. I was thinking about maybe DIVE and using the Prentice Hall text that they list as an option. I just can't decide. Kolbe also uses PH so I could go with them too.

I am using Prentice Hall Concepts In Action for Physical Science this year for an 8th grader. I think it was a good choice. I would not do conceptual physics instead, although I know that is a popular choice right now. The reason I wouldn't is because the introduction to Chemistry is so beneficial for Biology. All the biology textbooks I've looked through (that is a lot!) have chemistry in them. Some have quite a lot. None have more than what we were exposed to this year. I think that is a great benefit. We're just getting into the Physics section and ds is having more fun with that, but we plan to do a full Physics course in 11th. I don't see the need to do a full year of conceptual first.

I did try the DIVE dvd with the text for a short time while my health was bad and I wasn't able to teach COI. DIVE was easier than COI. It paired well for Chem, but the tests I was giving were much harder than Dr. Shoreman's. Ds found Dr. Shoreman too boring to listen to, so we used more Khan Academy when we needed a teacher instead.

I am using Prentice Hall Concepts In Action for Physical Science this year for an 8th grader. I think it was a good choice. I would not do conceptual physics instead, although I know that is a popular choice right now. The reason I wouldn't is because the introduction to Chemistry is so beneficial for Biology.

That makes perfect sense. We're doing just Physics as opposed to Physical Science because we just did Chemistry this year (EMcH's Carbon Chemistry) - which is actually more in-depth than what's covered in a Physical Science curriculum. If we hadn't done Chem this year, then we'd probably do Physcial Science.

The reason I wouldn't is because the introduction to Chemistry is so beneficial for Biology. All the biology textbooks I've looked through (that is a lot!) have chemistry in them. Some have quite a lot.

This is precisely why I have chosen to teach biology last. Physics explains chemistry, and chemistry is vital to understanding biology. In addition, physics concepts are abundant in biology. It really is the most logical sequence to use.

This is precisely why I have chosen to teach biology last. Physics explains chemistry, and chemistry is vital to understanding biology. In addition, physics concepts are abundant in biology. It really is the most logical sequence to use.

I have also made the decision to teach chemistry prior to biology from now on. (started with child #4 this yr) I made the decision b/c so much of high school biology is now focused on the chemical reactions occurring at the cellular level. (This is different from way back when.......now the focus is molecular/cellular biology vs. organismal biology)