Menu

How do you control the panic...

founded or unfounded, after visiting the HS you hope your dc can attend, one that is academic with Honors/AP classes, exactly what you want...

The day after arrives... and overnight I am considering 9 hr schooldays, adding multiple electives, maybe eliminating lunch and breaks.... you know what I mean....

Help! My dc need you to talk me off the ledge ....

The HS principal has already stated that they welcome homeschoolers, so my fears are probably unfounded. I am just getting closer to the endgame and worried that the transition will be too difficult or that I failed to prepare ds adequately. I would guess that Moms of college-bound homeschooled kids experience this as well. I'm getting a headstart with the move toward HS.

For example, Science is my favorite subject, I have big plans for Science each week, but it is often hurriedly completed at the end of a tiring week. Then I look at HS Science and realize that I MUST be more diligent about it and hope that it is not too late.

I also work part-time and the busyness of our lives is taking its toll and I worry that I am not doing enough for school. There are few measuring rods until they enter the mainstream.

Some of the best advice I got awhile back on this board when I was asking about hs-ing for middle school was to worry more about developing skills than learning content. (Thank you, Swimmermom!) We too are looking toward applying to high school. I have a few more years before it's my turn to panic, but I can't imagine that I'll think differently when I get to that point - the skills advice sounds wise.

ah, here it is:

I don't know if other posters would agree but I do know if I could do it over for my middle child that was home for two years, I would use that precious time to focus primarily on skills and not worry nearly so much about content. I would make sure he could take notes, create outlines, write essays, research and process information, construct lab reports, answer questions, ask questions, seek out help when needed, keep track of his work, meet deadlines, memorize facts, work hard, and follow rabbit trails while balancing the must-do work. Content is much easier to acquire if the basic skills are there. Yes, they will hopefully cover those skills more in-depth in high school, but don't count on it. I let this son spend more time acquiring information and less time writing. That is a mistake I hope not to repeat with his younger brother.

Some of the best advice I got awhile back on this board when I was asking about hs-ing for middle school was to worry more about developing skills than learning content. (Thank you, Swimmermom!) We too are looking toward applying to high school. I have a few more years before it's my turn to panic, but I can't imagine that I'll think differently when I get to that point - the skills advice sounds wise.

ah, here it is:

Thanks for posting this. Somehow I missed Lisa's post. I am going to print it out!

founded or unfounded, after visiting the HS you hope your dc can attend, one that is academic with Honors/AP classes, exactly what you want...

The day after arrives... and overnight I am considering 9 hr schooldays, adding multiple electives, maybe eliminating lunch and breaks.... you know what I mean....

Help! My dc need you to talk me off the ledge ....

This is how I deal with the High School posts about honors and advanced math and AP work.

I realize they aren't my kids.

My kids are smart but pretty right-brained, so traditional pile it on education doesn't work well for them. I expect them to go to college, but I doubt it will be with honors, AP credit or advanced math. If it is it will be because they decided it was their goal during High School and took it into their own hands to get there. My goal/responsibility is to just make sure the basics are mastered, the foundation solid, so they can go anywhere they want to. It is their job to decide where to go and how to get there.

Heather

Around here, reports are that our homeschoolers find they are merely lacking in math when they enter our strong PS. I believe that is bc many hsers focus on history and LA and Latin...and have some fear of math, therefore avoid it or take short cuts. I would ask locals what experience they have with entering the school system and evaluate what areas you've avoided (like science as you've mentioned). Your child may be more than prepared in some subjects. Brownie

I really wouldn't worry about science. My son went to a private elementary school but I have to say that what he learned in science there really didn't prepare him for high school science. The ability to read well, think, and process information is what your child will need to be successful in hs science. My son did well in advanced bio, chem, etc. even though he just learned the basics in grade school.

Thank you for your encouragement. I've recently started increasing the narrations, and will increase the writing assignments. I ordered some science kits also. We will then practice writing up lab results. If I increase the narration/writing, I think I will be able to measure the abilities in a more concrete manner, and I hope to see more preparedness by the end of the year. I am somewhat relieved that I still have time.