Menu

Update on our "No Internet at Home" initiative

Going great! We've been at it for five days now and are LOVING the atmosphere at home. I'm sitting in front of the library now to get a connection, but that's worked out fine so far.

A couple of nights ago, I sat on the couch and just read poetry and laughed with my kids. SO nice.

My oldest dd has school demands for which she needs to be online at times. So, we just drop her at Panera for a little bit and she's able to download her work and then bring it home.

All in all, it's VERY good.

Ahhh! I love the sound of it!

My girl can't just download her stuff, she actually has two hour and fifteen minute classes twice per week.

Honestly, if I could find a way around that, I'd do it! I really would. We have both a library and Panera close by that we can (and do) use for school out but not every.single.day. My girl's classes are Math on M/W and Latin on T/R. She has a Science class that should could just pull up and download, though.

Really, really, really, if I could find a way around those, I'd be so glad to do it!

I'm proud of you, Cindy!

My 5th grader takes a writing class online: http://www.gorbywriting.com/. But she only has to listen to a lesson once/week. So, she's at a computer in the library with earphones in. The tricky part is remembering to download her hand-outs and print them at home before we hit the library.

Thanks for the encouragement!

So far, I really like this. I make a list of online work to do before we go to the library. When I have to go to work, I just pack up and go. Before I head home, I check my email one more time and make quick responses.

I think it's great if it works for your family. :D

We couldn't do it... there are too many bills that are paid online (some of them we actually can't pay in person anywhere in town) for one, our phone bill would skyrocket because all of our family live on the other side of the country, and there are waaaay too many things that we need to look up/research/etc. Heading down to the library everytime just isn't practical for *us* here... I use the internet a LOT for the kids' schooling -- interactive websites, videos, songs, etc. :)

I think it's great if it works for your family. :D

We couldn't do it... there are too many bills that are paid online (some of them we actually can't pay in person anywhere in town) for one, our phone bill would skyrocket because all of our family live on the other side of the country, and there are waaaay too many things that we need to look up/research/etc. Heading down to the library everytime just isn't practical for *us* here... I use the internet a LOT for the kids' schooling -- interactive websites, videos, songs, etc. :)

I totally understand. No judgement here! Really, if there's any judgement, it's for myself b/c I lack the willpower to just be on when I need it. It had turned into my escape mechanism, coping mechanism for getting control of our lives, etc. In addition, we just didn't like seeing our older girls sprawled out in the living room in their individual techno-bubbles.

We do pay our bills online. Dh just does it from the library. None of our family lives in town, but our cell phone service allows us to have "free calls" with up to 10 people. That hits our extended family.

I also understand about the kids' school. I don't have so many at home anymore, so it's just not as much of an issue. But, even so, I'm not sure that I wouldn't just find alternatives.

With most of our kids "in school" now, I'm a bit skeptical of all the talk I hear from administrators about them needing to be techno-savvy. I think they need to learn to be deep thinkers and lifelong learners. I don't think there's a whole lot to be gained from them developing technological skill sets that will most likely be out-dated in the next five years with at the current pace of change. I want my children to love life, love learning, and develop the ability to patiently and persistently problem-solve, research, collaborate with peers, etc. But, that's a bit of a tangent. :)