Menu

Math Delimma (somewhat long)

ChicoryChick

What would you recommend. I am really struggling with some math decisions for my second born (a girl) who is 10 & in 5th grade. I really hate the idea of curriculum hopping with her (especially on this subject) but cannot seem to come up with a good fit for her. We did MUS (which worked well with my oldest) through most of Gamma & part of Delta (she really struggled & still does with multidigit multiplication). I switched last year to Singapore. She has completed 3A, 3B & 4A (she really struggled with learning the area & perimeter of polygrams at the end of 4A). She has just started 4B. She seemed to do better with Singapore (less tears) last year, but I feel that some of the concepts she is still not getting and I think Singapore moves to fast for her.

I can show her something over and over and still she seems to need me to hold her hand for every step when I ask her to do it on her own (and we could have just done 10 problems together). It seems like she has no problem with the easy stuff (1st & 2nd grade math was a breeze for her) but once it involves more than one or two steps her brain just shuts off.

She went with me to the curriculum fair last year and loved playing with the math balance & the RightStart booth. I would consider RightStart, but have heard that it is not so great after level C and she would probably fit into level E. I am also considering R&S Math (I tried with oldest dd - I loved it, she hated it).

I am not sure what kind of learner she is because she seems to be half of auditory-sequential list & half visual-spatial list, but I think she leans toward the visual learner. Some things that do not fit that "profile" is that she likes to have things neat, likes to write and can write neatly and is comfortable with one right answer.

Phonics was a struggle until I started combining a reader which used sight words. She does struggle with spelling but is starting to improve (I am planning on starting her with AAS in the fall).

Sorry this is long. I hope I have given enough information to help.

Oh - we also do LOF Fractions on fridays (with 2 of her other siblings). She gets frustrated with the "Your turn to play" part, but always asks to do it. She even asked if maybe that could be her curriculum for next year.

She sounds just like my dd. :grouphug: If Singapore is working well for her but its too fast, you might try Math Mammoth. It's supposed to be very similar but is written directly to the student and very visual.

I've been combining MM with Math U See for dd and it's really helping. You could use MM by itself as a complete curriculum but we're we're really sold on MUS so choose to supplement rather than switch.

I checked out Math Mammoth before, but was confused by all the choices. I might have to take another look/see. She really wants to do TT, but still not sure that is a good fit for her. It would make her more independent though. MUS was a total bust for her.

Edited to add: I don't think she would like to do it independently if she had to read it herself.

My dd is 10 and a struggling math student as well. I needed for her to be able to be more independent. She really shuts down when we try to work together because I'm sure I don't have the patience to explain a concept 50 ways from Sunday and it shows. We just started TT and I am hoping to combine it with MM. I want her to still be able to try to work on her conceptual understanding, but with TT she can read and hear the explanations 100 times without anyone getting frustrated with her. I am hoping it does the trick! So far she likes it a lot.

Do you have the supplemental Singapore books for extra practice?

No because it is such a struggle to get her to do the regular problems as it is. I think it is more of an attitude issue than a learning issue. She sees something that has more than 1 or 2 steps to complete and already in her mind she believes she can't do it.

My dd is 10 and a struggling math student as well. I needed for her to be able to be more independent. She really shuts down when we try to work together because I'm sure I don't have the patience to explain a concept 50 ways from Sunday and it shows. We just started TT and I am hoping to combine it with MM. I want her to still be able to try to work on her conceptual understanding, but with TT she can read and hear the explanations 100 times without anyone getting frustrated with her. I am hoping it does the trick! So far she likes it a lot.

Maybe I am the problem. I don't have the patience either because math always came naturally to me, but I do try. Sometimes I have to step back and then come back to it again. She does love doing the samples on the website. My other problem with TT though is that our CD-Rom always seems to be breaking and then we would have to go to the workbook (horror of horrors). In most areas she is really a workbook type of person, but not math.

I checked out Math Mammoth before, but was confused by all the choices. I might have to take another look/see. She really wants to do TT, but still not sure that is a good fit for her. It would make her more independent though. MUS was a total bust for her.

Edited to add: I don't think she would like to do it independently if she had to read it herself.

If your goal is to have her work independently then you're probably better off with TT. I thought you just wanted something like Singapore but easier to implement. I have been tempted by the lure of a computer math program like TT. If you really think she'll do better it might be worth a shot.

We have had her working on Math Whizz for 2 months now to supplement her BJU Math 4.

It is really helping her and we had tried so many different ways and programs. Her 'math age" went from a 9.16 to a 9.34 in a month so we are happy with it. It appeals to her and gets concepts through her head that she was struggling to learn. There were even a couple of time when a concept she didn't even struggle with clicked in better for her while working on it.

It is $20 a month and it has to come out of the grocery budget, but it is worth it for her. This way we don't have to change her curriculum, just help her with it.

http://www.whizz.us/

While I would love for her to work independently, that is not necessarily my goal (well eventually, yes). What I would like to find is how she learns and what program "caters" to her way of learning, something that speaks "her learning language".

Here is an example of how she learns: After I posted this a little light bulb moment came on for me on how I could teach her perimeter & area. Instead of having her look at a rectangle on a sheet of paper, I had her measure a nearby box. I was able to show her the perimeter (edges) and tell her that by adding up the 4 sides we had the total perimeter. When we multiply the LXW it gives us how many inches are in the lid of the box. Now I had explained the process last week at least a dozen times - but she just would look at me blankly. She would multiply when I said multiply (after asking what multiplication was again) and added when I told her to add.

Part of my frustration is her not remembering one day to the next the definition of multiplication, addition, & subtraction (she does seem to remember what division is though) and what steps to use on multidigit multiplication. I can't just tell her to multiply 21X14. I actually have to sit there and tell her to multiply the units column. Then the bottom unit by the top ten, then the bottom ten by the top unit and the bottom ten by the top ten.....for every single problem.

We have had her working on Math Whizz for 2 months now to supplement her BJU Math 4.

It is really helping her and we had tried so many different ways and programs. Her 'math age" went from a 9.16 to a 9.34 in a month so we are happy with it. It appeals to her and gets concepts through her head that she was struggling to learn. There were even a couple of time when a concept she didn't even struggle with clicked in better for her while working on it.

It is $20 a month and it has to come out of the grocery budget, but it is worth it for her. This way we don't have to change her curriculum, just help her with it.

http://www.whizz.us/

I really liked the look of the math whizz website except it having to be subscription. If I could just find a curriculum like it (I think it is more exciting and visual than TT) I think we might have a perfect fit here.

It is common for kids this age to still be confused about perimeter and area. Talking about perimeter fences and area rugs helped my son sort this out.

Julie D.

Thanks Julie!

I think for now that I am going to "finally" get the HIG and do some of the activities with her and also the CD-ROM game for extra practice and see how that goes. Probably should have done that in the fall. If that goes well then will continue with Singapore in the fall - otherwise look into TT & Math Mammoth.